MLB 2020: We'll Play Ball, I Guess.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: MLB 2020: We'll Play Ball, I Guess.

Los Angeles Browns just doesn't have that ring to it.

Comment

Originally posted by LAKingsFan26 View Post
      Los Angeles Browns just doesn't have that ring to it.
      I can imagine if it went that way people thinking, "Los Angeles Dodgers?" That would be as dumb as "Los Angeles Lakers."

But nothing, ever, beats "Utah Jazz." You'd have to have the "Alabama Scholars" or the "Florida Legitimate Children" to come close.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
        I can imagine if it went that way people thinking, "Los Angeles Dodgers?" That would be as dumb as "Los Angeles Lakers."

But nothing, ever, beats "Utah Jazz." You'd have to have the "Alabama Scholars" or the "Florida Legitimate Children" to come close.
        Soon it was commonplace for entire teams to change cities in search of greater profits. The Minneapolis Lakers moved to Los Angeles where there are no lakes. The Oilers moved to Tennessee where there is no oil. The Jazz moved to Salt Lake City where they don't allow music.
        Narrator: The Raiders moved from Oakland to LA back to Oakland, no-one seemed to notice.
        Bob Costas: You're excited? Feel these nipples!
        Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
        "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
        Patreon for exclusive writing content
        Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
          The one thing in baseball that’s not talked about enough is the collusion cases and their impact on the the 1994 Strike. The owners spent 3 years colluding to screw the players out of millions of dollars in free agency, got caught, and less than 10 years later told the nearly the same players “ok, we need a salary cap.” To me, it totally changes the perspective of the 94 Strike but it’s not really mentioned at all in any recounting of the Strike.
          How often are the players supported during a labor dispute, though?

The national women’s teams for soccer and hockey received large public backing during their fights with the national federations, but thats an entirely different situation being national teams that are perpetually top 2 in the world, outperforming the men’s side, and a national governing body is different than some of these owners who are celebrities in their own right.

I remember some support towards the players in the NBA lockout in 2011 because everyone realized the tv money had exploded and the players needed a bigger cut, but besides that I feel like the public view of the players during labor disputes has been between negative and neutral. At the end of the day, a lot of people just seen them as entertainers who should be grateful, and that the players rising salaries just means they’ll have to pay more at the ballpark.
          Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
            Then there's the fact that the Mets exist basically to fend off a third major league (Continental) from forming, a campaign spearheaded by someone who wasn't even going to own one of the teams (Shea). That move also gave Houston and the Angels their teams immediately, and the Rangers would eventually come about a decade later as the fourth team, the Senators, failed and moved to Texas.
            That’s how the Islanders came to be. The WHA was being formed and they were eyeballing the new Nassau Coliseum. So, the NHL quickly moved Long Island up the pecking order for new expansion teams, and boom, the Islanders franchise is created.

(The WHA did end up with the NY Raiders who amazingly played in MSG. But as second rate tenants to the Rangers, they didn’t last very long.)
            Russell Jaslow
            [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
            U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
              That’s how the Islanders came to be. The WHA was being formed and they were eyeballing the new Nassau Coliseum. So, the NHL quickly moved Long Island up the pecking order for new expansion teams, and boom, the Islanders franchise is created.
              I did not know this.
              Cornell University
              ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
              Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                I did not know this.
                Really? Even I knew that and I'm a) not anywhere close to New York and b) wasn't alive by then.
                U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by Jimjamesak View Post
                  Really? Even I knew that and I'm a) not anywhere close to New York and b) wasn't alive by then.
                  Nope. I knew about Shea's maneuver to get the Mets but I never knew about the Isles.
                  Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                    ...(The WHA did end up with the NY Raiders who amazingly played in MSG. But as second rate tenants to the Rangers, they didn’t last very long.)
                    You could go to a Raiders game on a Sunday afternoon at MSG, get a bite to eat, and then catch the Rangers game st 7pm. Fun times.

Then the Raiders moved to Southern NJ.
                    CCT '77 & '78
                    4 kids
                    5 grandsons (BCA 7/09, CJA 5/14, JDL 8/14, JFL 6/16, PJL 7/18)
                    1 granddaughter (EML 4/18)

”Any society that would give up a little liberty to gain a little security will deserve neither and lose both.”
                    - Benjamin Franklin

Banned from the St. Lawrence University Facebook page - March 2016 (But I got better).

I want to live forever. So far, so good.

Comment

Originally posted by Spartanforlife4 View Post
                      How often are the players supported during a labor dispute, though?

The national women’s teams for soccer and hockey received large public backing during their fights with the national federations, but thats an entirely different situation being national teams that are perpetually top 2 in the world, outperforming the men’s side, and a national governing body is different than some of these owners who are celebrities in their own right.

I remember some support towards the players in the NBA lockout in 2011 because everyone realized the tv money had exploded and the players needed a bigger cut, but besides that I feel like the public view of the players during labor disputes has been between negative and neutral. At the end of the day, a lot of people just seen them as entertainers who should be grateful, and that the players rising salaries just means they’ll have to pay more at the ballpark.
                      Players never get supported during a strike. I think they are met with a little less disdain when they are locked out, as the NBA players were in 2011, but even then just barely. Fans then usually play the both sides are bad game. But in a strike? No way. They vilify the players every time. Marvin Miller said the 1981 MLB Players strike was the most principled strike he had ever participated in, since so many of the game's stars had already benefited greatly from the free agent system and the strike was meant to make sure future players could also benefit from it.

Comment

Ive been sim'ing (OOTP20) my own all time bracket of 64 best teams. I took some lists of 50 best and sprinkled in my own opinion to get to 64. They were seeded by the best list. So the 1927 Yankees were the 1 seed.

My first run was all rounds best of 7. DH allowed, injuries on.

The 1932 Yankees beat the 1983 Orioles for the title.

None of the Senators/Twins teams got out of the first round.
                        PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                        Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                        NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Originally posted by JF_Gophers View Post
                          None of the Senators/Twins teams got out of the first round.
                          Undoubtedly, swept by the Yankees.

Comment

The Mets and Tigers are undefeated in 2020.
                            Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                            "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                            Patreon for exclusive writing content
                            Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Has MLB come up with any kind of a schedule template for what they currently envision as a possible season? I have seen thing floated about teams playing entirely within the divisions (NL West teams playing only the other 4 NL West teams and the 5 AL West teams). If so, how do they figure to divide up 82 games against 9 other teams. The first thing that comes to mind, is wouldn't 81 or 90 seem to make more sense? I suppose it could 9 games against everyone save for a 10th game against your most proximate foe (freeway series, bay series, subway series, windy city series -- I guess for a good number of teams one other team makes perfect sense for that, others not so much).

FWIW, I actually do not believe any of this will happen. At some point once these teams get together in close contact, someone is going to test positive and the plug will be pulled. I find it hard to believe these athletes are going to risk their health with so much uncertain. You might even see NFL players show some backbone in that regard.

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                                The Mets and Tigers are undefeated in 2020.
                                Plague will make the Mets a perennial powerhouse.
                                Cornell University

Comment

Working...
                                X