Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
    It will be interesting what happens with college football. I’d have to think the MAC schools in particular will have some vulnerabilities if college football isn’t played. I also wonder if lawyers can argue their way out of an exit fee considering the unprecedented situation.
    Those contracts aren’t going to be picked apart that easy. If they were, it would basically render all the schools contracts with their conferences invalid across all sports.

As for a swap of Miami for Mankato, you have to not only get both schools, but both conferences to agree. If Bemidji weren’t part of the package, they’d turn it down, Tech would likely vote against it as would NMU. Oxford is nearly 700 miles for both Tech & NMU and Mankato is under 475 for both. At best you have a 3-3 vote among the remaining CCHA teams. As dominant as Mankato has been, flipping them for Miami wouldn’t do anything to help the CCHA on a national level.
    "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Re: Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Western Michigan is making huge budget cuts, hockey coach Murray taking a 25% salary hit.

https://www.mlive.com/broncos/2020/0...cs-budget.html

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
        It will be interesting what happens with college football. I’d have to think the MAC schools in particular will have some vulnerabilities if college football isn’t played. I also wonder if lawyers can argue their way out of an exit fee considering the unprecedented situation.
        The MAC just canceled conference tournaments in field hockey, men's soccer, women's soccer, men's tennis, women's tennis, women's lacrosse, softball and baseball. They made alternations in formats for nine other championships – volleyball (four-team), men's basketball (eight-team), women's basketball (eight-team), men's swimming & diving (three-day), women's swimming & diving (three-day), men's indoor and outdoor track & field (two-day), women's indoor and outdoor track & field (two-day), men's golf (two-day) and women's golf (two-day)
        Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          Not much for discounts. The more seats that get sold, the more expensive the next one gets. LSSU often busses 5+ hrs to Detroit for flights. NMU 6 hr to Chicago or 7 to Minneapolis and Bemidji 4 hr to Minneapolis for their Alaska flights.
          They should of just bussed to whitehorse, just a nap longer if no problems getting acrooss the boarder .

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
          As for Miami switching leagues, would the be willing to pay the NCHC’s $1.5 million exit fee?
          They are not going anywhere, unlike some of the Corona Cancelled Hockey Association teams.
          Alaska Dispatch .... Doyle Woody
          UAF made the kind of hockey history on October 10th 2015 that no team wants to claim – the Nanooks became the first NCAA Division I victim of Arizona State.

Originally Posted by WeWantMore At least you guys have Packers colors.

I Must be Famous ....a School named their program after me

Comment

Bowling Green just dropped a sport, and it wasn’t the one we were all expecting.
            If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
              Bowling Green just dropped a sport, and it wasn’t the one we were all expecting.
              If you were expecting BG to drop hockey you would not be well informed.

Comment

Dropping Baseball is surprising. But then again it's probably 4th in spending behind Football, Basketball and Hockey.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                  Dropping Baseball is surprising. But then again it's probably 4th in spending behind Football, Basketball and Hockey.
                  There is zero revenue with a MAC baseball program.
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    There is zero revenue with a MAC baseball program.
                    I was referencing spending, not earning

They are still a D-1 baseball team, so there is a ton of spending happening. They will do their two weeks in Florida to start the year then head down to Texas, Cali, or Arizona for a week before starting their home slate the 1st week of March (flip FL and the West Coast if needed). Their conference slate is still traveling in nice motor coaches and staying at hotels better than a Super-8. The budget dwarfs anything you would find in the GLIAC or similar I'm sure. Hell, the MAC uses 3-man umpire crews at $1400/man + 4 nights hotel for each 3-game conference series. The Officials budget alone is north of $25,000.
                    Last edited by RaceBoarder; 05-15-2020, 06:36 PM.
                    It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Along with some summer furloughs it's saving $1.1 million. Every sport will have a budget cut. Need to get to $2 million. No more sports will be cut.

Comment

They are still a D-1 baseball team, so there is a ton of spending happening. They will do their two weeks in Florida to start the year then head down to Texas, Cali, or Arizona for a week before starting their home slate the 1st week of March (flip FL and the West Coast if needed). Their conference slate is still traveling in nice motor coaches and staying at hotels better than a Super-8. The budget dwarfs anything you would find in the GLIAC or similar I'm sure. Hell, the MAC uses 3-man umpire crews at $1400/man + 4 nights hotel for each 3-game conference series. The Officials budget alone is north of $25,000.
                        College officiating budgets are pretty insane at the D-1 level no matter the sport. Doubly so at Power 5 conferences.
                        U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
                        Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
                        I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
                        But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
                        Originally posted by Doyle Woody
                        Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Dropping sports is certainly one avenue to save $$$. However, I'm also curious if this starts to get athletic directors and presidents to re-evaluate their conferences in some situations. The move to larger conferences (12 or more teams) spurred largely by football really doesn't make sense for the other sports, and I always thought there might come a time when the wheel would come full circle, and conferences would start to pare back down/split into smaller conferences (like when the Mountain West originally split off from the WAC, which had grown from 8 to 16 teams). There should be considerable opportunity for travel savings in the 'Olympic' sports if they were in conferences spanning smaller geographic regions and only 8 teams. Example: does the American conference really make sense (spread from Texas, to Florida to the Northeast)? Maybe for football, certainly not for track or women's soccer. How much does West Virginia spend on travel in the Big 12 for all their sports? How much could Syracuse and BC save if they were back in the Big East vs ACC (if they could just be affiliate members of the ACC for football)?

Except for maybe at the huge state flagship schools, I'm not sure the 'mega' conference format is sustainable in the long run. The majority of universities should be zigging where the the 'power 5' are zagging (and I'm not sure how well 14 teams really works for the ACC or the current 10 for the Big 12).

Obviously buyouts present an issue, and it's easier to split if you have 16 teams vs 12 (though you could still split into 2 conferences).

Comment

Originally posted by LordofBrewtown View Post
                            Dropping sports is certainly one avenue to save $$$. However, I'm also curious if this starts to get athletic directors and presidents to re-evaluate their conferences in some situations. The move to larger conferences (12 or more teams) spurred largely by football really doesn't make sense for the other sports, and I always thought there might come a time when the wheel would come full circle, and conferences would start to pare back down/split into smaller conferences (like when the Mountain West originally split off from the WAC, which had grown from 8 to 16 teams). There should be considerable opportunity for travel savings in the 'Olympic' sports if they were in conferences spanning smaller geographic regions and only 8 teams. Example: does the American conference really make sense (spread from Texas, to Florida to the Northeast)? Maybe for football, certainly not for track or women's soccer. How much does West Virginia spend on travel in the Big 12 for all their sports? How much could Syracuse and BC save if they were back in the Big East vs ACC (if they could just be affiliate members of the ACC for football)?

Except for maybe at the huge state flagship schools, I'm not sure the 'mega' conference format is sustainable in the long run. The majority of universities should be zigging where the the 'power 5' are zagging (and I'm not sure how well 14 teams really works for the ACC or the current 10 for the Big 12).

Obviously buyouts present an issue, and it's easier to split if you have 16 teams vs 12 (though you could still split into 2 conferences).
                            A less known thing around the sports world in general is that for your Olympic sports, teams already do this. For most schools, you only have conference competition once a season at conference championships. Otherwise you compete primarily in local or regional events, and those competitions are usually more than two schools competing.

It’s when you get into the “team sports” category where round robin or semi round robin competition occurs, and you see the effects of more far flung travel in regular competition. And where you might see more expansive conferences banding together for smaller priority sports; one such that’s seen some public commentary is the Big East, Atlantic 10 and Colonial looking to regionalize competition for the upcoming academic year in “secondary sports” (presumably, everything that isn’t football or basketball), so that their collective schedules for sports like soccer and baseball look more like their track or swimming: mostly regionalized competition and the only true conference competition is in a league tournament.
                            UConn -- Clarkson

Comment

Originally posted by kingdobbs View Post
                              ...one such that’s seen some public commentary is the Big East, Atlantic 10 and Colonial looking to regionalize competition for the upcoming academic year in “secondary sports” (presumably, everything that isn’t football or basketball), so that their collective schedules for sports like soccer and baseball look more like their track or swimming: mostly regionalized competition and the only true conference competition is in a league tournament.
                              I've heard the same thing. Specifically, a 56-game regular season schedule involving Northeastern, UConn, Rhode Island, UMass, Hofstra, St. John’s, Seton Hall, and Fordham, making it a bus league at least for one year. All three conferences would still hold league tournaments based on RPI. Conspicuously missing from the list is Boston College, the only P5 school in the area, which presumably remains bound to the ACC schedule.

Makes sense to me, especially if it means saving baseball and maybe other sports.
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Dont forget our per-diem.

Comment

Working...
                                X