Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

I guess if I’m worried about anyone, it’s the schools that are either (a) at risk anyway, or (b) schools that are likely to be both dependent on football but also probably don’t have a of revenue.

The Alaska schools and UAH sure fall into the first category. But I’m not too sure many would be in the second. I’m probably not worried about the BTHC schools. And I would imagine the other D-I football schools have more to lose from football than the D-II/III playups with football so maybe that reduces the risk for most of the rest. It’s hard to imagine the GLIAC and Northern Sun or non-Ivy ECAC schools being in more danger than the MAC schools or UConn.

BGSU had those budget scares a few years back. If I’m picking one, they’re the ones with a current conference alignment that I’m worried about.

Of course, that said: none of us really know anything and this is all nonsense and at best educated guesses in the dark.
    Last edited by ExileOnDaytonStreet; 05-10-2020, 07:24 PM.
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
      I guess if I’m worried about anyone, it’s the schools that are either (a) at risk anyway, or (b) schools that are likely to be both dependent on football but also probably don’t have a of revenue.

The Alaska schools and UAH sure fall into the first category. But I’m not too sure many would be in the second. I’m probably not worried about the BTHC schools. And I would imagine the other D-I football schools have more to lose from football than the D-II/III playups with football so maybe that reduces the risk for most of the rest. It’s hard to imagine the GLIAC and Northern Sun or non-Ivy ECAC schools being in more danger than the MAC schools or UConn.

BGSU had those budget scares a few years back. If I’m picking one, they’re the ones with a current conference alignment that I’m worried about.

Of course, that said: none of us really know anything and this is all nonsense and at best educated guesses in the dark.
      BGSU has said athletics is facing a 10% reduction in funding. There has not been any information released about any sports being cut. Only other announcement has been they signed onto the letter, along with every other G5 school. That may simply be supporting their conference mates, wanting to reduce the number of sports, or they are worried about maintaining the minimum attendance for football. The football attendance is probably the biggest issue they are facing. The 10% reduction in funding can be made without much being seen outside the department.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        Here's an idea. Maybe ASU should reassess their commitment to D1 hockey. Spend the money to build a suitable rink or go back to club hockey. Seems like your logic works in that situation.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
        Your timing is off concerning your idea. ASU has the $120 million in hand, FEL & FEED is 90% complete. Existing infrastructure is being verified as part of fine tuning (those dang pipes & conduit that didn't make it onto the blueprints........) The University has announced COVID-19 will have no bearing on groundbreaking this November. The arena timing got pushed back roughly 2 years from the earlier plans to meet the Innovation Corridor mega project master plan. Hopefully MTU will make it back down even before the new arena is up and running. Would be great to have the game at Gila River Arena - Coyotes arena - which is done for several games each year.

Now concerning schools that can't afford D1 hockey, they can go to D2, D3, club without all sports having to do the same. I recall MTU is like D2 in football but D1 in hockey. UND is D1 hockey but FCS - formerly known as D2 in football, lots of other examples. However I am hoping no schools will have to go that route and more schools will enter D1.

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
          Your timing is off concerning your idea. ASU has the $120 million in hand, FEL & FEED is 90% complete. Existing infrastructure is being verified as part of fine tuning (those dang pipes & conduit that didn't make it onto the blueprints........) The University has announced COVID-19 will have no bearing on groundbreaking this November. The arena timing got pushed back roughly 2 years from the earlier plans to meet the Innovation Corridor mega project master plan. Hopefully MTU will make it back down even before the new arena is up and running. Would be great to have the game at Gila River Arena - Coyotes arena - which is done for several games each year.

Now concerning schools that can't afford D1 hockey, they can go to D2, D3, club without all sports having to do the same. I recall MTU is like D2 in football but D1 in hockey. UND is D1 hockey but FCS - formerly known as D2 in football, lots of other examples. However I am hoping no schools will have to go that route and more schools will enter D1.
          Good news on the rink. Last rumours I had heard were that they didn't have any tangible progress.

As for not playing D1, your other choice in the NCAA is D3. To play D3 hockey all teams at the school must play D3. It would shock me if any current D1 schools went that route.

Tech played at Gila River a few years back. In my mind that's kind of a Catch 22. NHL rinks are nice but 8000 fans in an 18,000 seat rink kills the atmosphere. I'd much rather see a game in a full 4000 seat arena - but that's s whole different topic. Playing in Phoenix is a great opportunity for alumni in the southwest to see them play. This season with the games at Oceanside, many were not able to get tickets. From those who did attend, I've only heard negative comments about the rink.

Comment

FCS was not D-2. FCS was D-1AA. D-2 remains as it was.
            "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
              Good news on the rink. Last rumours I had heard were that they didn't have any tangible progress.

As for not playing D1, your other choice in the NCAA is D3. To play D3 hockey all teams at the school must play D3. It would shock me if any current D1 schools went that route.

Tech played at Gila River a few years back. In my mind that's kind of a Catch 22. NHL rinks are nice but 8000 fans in an 18,000 seat rink kills the atmosphere. I'd much rather see a game in a full 4000 seat arena - but that's s whole different topic. Playing in Phoenix is a great opportunity for alumni in the southwest to see them play. This season with the games at Oceanside, many were not able to get tickets. From those who did attend, I've only heard negative comments about the rink.

Good point on D1/D3, and on playing at Gila.
              And, yes, Oceanside is a dump. And TV camera angles are so low its hard to follow the puck on TV. And even more importantly, as you point out, its next to impossible to get tix to get in. I used to get into the club team games there for $5 or free and plenty of seating in its older configuration (100 seats?). But I made the mistake of not grabbing season tix the first day they issued them. I didn't think that demand was there yet. Would be interesting to know how many snowbirds grabbed up on them and then just sell the tix for the games they don't go to.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                FCS was not D-2. FCS was D-1AA. D-2 remains as it was.
                You are correct, my error.

Comment

A D1 school cannot drop one sport to D3. That’s not allowed. It’s all or nothing.

A D3 school playing one sport up (like Clarkson) would lose that grandfather rule forever and never be able to move back up.
                  Russell Jaslow
                  [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                  U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Do schools get discounts on airline travel? With that industry a mess for some time, I wonder if it just gets too difficult for some or if any discounts and flight routes go away.

I suppose we could also see a realignment instead. Miami might not want to fly out West so much and might think the new CCHA is more attractive now.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                      Do schools get discounts on airline travel? With that industry a mess for some time, I wonder if it just gets too difficult for some or if any discounts and flight routes go away.

I suppose we could also see a realignment instead. Miami might not want to fly out West so much and might think the new CCHA is more attractive now.
                      Not much for discounts. The more seats that get sold, the more expensive the next one gets. LSSU often busses 5+ hrs to Detroit for flights. NMU 6 hr to Chicago or 7 to Minneapolis and Bemidji 4 hr to Minneapolis for their Alaska flights.

As for Miami switching leagues, would the be willing to pay the NCHC’s $1.5 million exit fee?
                      "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by pdt1081 View Post
                        A letter has already been filed (weeks ago) asking for an exemption on minimum number of sports and minimum football attendance.
                        That was already declined in late April by the NCAA.
                        "The NCAA Division I Council denied a request to temporarily waive the minimum number of sports required to be a Division I member..." Source, AP
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by davyd83 View Post
                          As for Miami switching leagues, would the be willing to pay the NCHC’s $1.5 million exit fee?
                          IIRC, that and Westerns (rumored lack of) willingness to go with them are the entirety of the reason it hasn’t yet happened.
                          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                            IIRC, that and Westerns (rumored lack of) willingness to go with them are the entirety of the reason it hasn’t yet happened.
                            It will be interesting what happens with college football. I’d have to think the MAC schools in particular will have some vulnerabilities if college football isn’t played. I also wonder if lawyers can argue their way out of an exit fee considering the unprecedented situation.

Comment

Looks like D2 Florida Tech is first to fall: https://gscsports.org/news/2020/5/11...-football.aspx
                              "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
                                It will be interesting what happens with college football. I’d have to think the MAC schools in particular will have some vulnerabilities if college football isn’t played. I also wonder if lawyers can argue their way out of an exit fee considering the unprecedented situation.
                                I think that would be one helluva lawyer seeing as all teams are affected by it. I'm no lawyer, but I'd think it would be easier to argue the league's position.

I could see the possibility that Miami & Mankato swap without any fees.

Comment

Working...
                                X