Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
    OK, but then what did ASU spend the $6.3 million they reported as Sports Equipment, Uniforms, and Supplies expenses for the 2017-18 season? Also, ASU reported a nearly $2.7 million loss on football ($52.8 million total expenses) for 2017-18.

Sean
    A vast majority of Power 5 programs are PAID or at least get their uniforms/shoes/etc for free. UNC Basketball coach Roy Williams gets a 250,000 a year for the Tar Heels to wear Nike. https://www.newsobserver.com/article223344355.html

Here is a breakdown of UNC's Nike contract. Got to think Arizona State has a similar deal right? https://goheels.com/news/2018/12/19/...ough-2023.aspx
    Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

OK, but then what did ASU spend the $6.3 million they reported as Sports Equipment, Uniforms, and Supplies expenses for the 2017-18 season? Also, ASU reported a nearly $2.7 million loss on football ($52.8 million total expenses) for 2017-18.

Sean
      As I understand the contracts they got the uniforms and other equipment as the branding deal with Adidas. So money may have been exchanged as an expense and then as a revenue line. The cost being higher than revenue by about $2.5MM out of $100MM is what I call break even.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
        A vast majority of Power 5 programs are PAID or at least get their uniforms/shoes/etc for free. UNC Basketball coach Roy Williams gets a 250,000 a year for the Tar Heels to wear Nike. https://www.newsobserver.com/article223344355.html

Here is a breakdown of UNC's Nike contract. Got to think Arizona State has a similar deal right? https://goheels.com/news/2018/12/19/...ough-2023.aspx
        Pretty similar deals. & of course there are tax related line items & real business analyses line items. That's why enterprises keep 2,3,4.... sets of books

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
          ASU gets uniforms & gear for free. Roughly break even on revenue vs expenses for football. But it is a crazy amount of money!
          Free uniforms and equipment plus coach/athlete endorsements are the primary reasons why sneakers and other apparel are so ridiculously expensive and marketed as "gotta have" that young kids will literally kill for them.

OK, but then what did ASU spend the $6.3 million they reported as Sports Equipment, Uniforms, and Supplies expenses for the 2017-18 season? Also, ASU reported a nearly $2.7 million loss on football ($52.8 million total expenses) for 2017-18...
          Once upon a time, coaches like Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and others of that ilk would point with pride to the academic buildings, libraries, labs, and dorms that football built. No more. In all but a few cases, P5 football money goes right back into the football program in the form of platinum plated, diamond encrusted facilities open only to football players, bloated coaching staffs, and obscene coaches salaries. And then, as with ASU, most of them take money from the college general funds to cover operating deficits.

Reality: P5 is corrupt to its core and nobody seems to care.
          Last edited by Split-N; 05-23-2020, 07:38 AM.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
            Free uniforms and equipment plus coach/athlete endorsements are the primary reasons why sneakers and other apparel are so ridiculously expensive and marketed as "gotta have" that young kids will literally kill for them.

Cost is independent of pricing. I can buy Colessium brand ASU products cheaper than Adidas.

Once upon a time, coaches like Woody Hayes, Bo Schembechler, and others of that ilk would point with pride to the academic buildings, libraries, labs, and dorms that football built. No more. In all but a few cases, P5 football money goes right back into the football program in the form of platinum plated, diamond encrusted facilities open only to football players, bloated coaching staffs, and obscene coaches salaries. And then, as with ASU, most of them take money from the college general funds to cover operating deficits.

Reality: P5 is corrupt to its core and nobody seems to care.
            Cost is independent of pricing. I can buy Colessium brand ASU products cheaper than Adidas.
            Yes, much football revenue is consumed by football but also subsidizes "minor" sports.

So how do you really feel?
            Last edited by Sol Diablo; 05-23-2020, 09:18 AM.

Comment

So how do you really feel?
              Maybe I didn't make myself clear:

1) Sneaker/apparel makers have much social damage to answer for.
              2) The P5, with rare exceptions, is corrupt to its core.

Comment

OK, but then what did ASU spend the $6.3 million they reported as Sports Equipment, Uniforms, and Supplies expenses for the 2017-18 season?
                I could see the uniforms being free, as in the shirt and pants, but other things that fit in this category having to be paid for by the school (helmets and helmet decals/wraps, shoulder pads, etc) This category also probably includes weight room and training equipment and blocking sleds, etc. I also wonder whether the purchase price of fan merchandise is in this figure, with the revenue it generates captured on the other side, or whether that would appear elsewhere in the athletic department or school administration budgets.

Comment

Maybe I didn't make myself clear:

1) Sneaker/apparel makers have much social damage to answer for.
                  2) The P5, with rare exceptions, is corrupt to its core.
                  Can't say I'm following you on sports apparel causing social damage.
                  Since corruption is typically another word for bribery, & since there are only a few cases of that, I respectfully disagree concerning massive corruption at P5 schools.

Comment

Last edited by Leather Lungs; 08-01-2020, 04:10 PM. Reason: bad info

Comment

...ASU reported a nearly $2.7 million loss on football ($52.8 million total expenses) for 2017-18..
                      ...football but also subsidizes "minor" sports...
                      How does ASU football subsidize anything if it loses almost $3 million? In the bigger picture, why aren't P5 powerhouses (most of them, anyway) that generate tens--even hundreds--of millions on football not put money into their institutions' general funds instead of taking money from them to cover operating deficits?

Can't say I'm following you on sports apparel causing social damage.
                      Since corruption is typically another word for bribery, & since there are only a few cases of that, I respectfully disagree concerning massive corruption at P5 schools.
                      Wow! So where to start? Maybe with executives from the big time shoe companies tripping over each other paying out under the table "incentives" in their unending quest to "broker" athletes to various P5 institutions. Or maybe the pending Federal investigations into same. Need more?

https://consortiumnews.com/2017/12/0...ege-athletics/

And as for social damage: https://www.mtv.com/news/2547224/sne...ulture-deaths/

Finally, corruption goes well beyond bribery. Let's just leave it at that.
                      Last edited by Split-N; 05-24-2020, 02:56 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by Leather Lungs View Post
                        I don't know about UConn, but UMass football is profitable. Losing can pay handsomely.
                        UMass NCAA financials profit/loss for football:
                        2010 - $ -3.59 million
                        2011 - $ -3.74 million
                        2012 - $ -4.79 million
                        2013 - $ -5.38 million
                        2014 - $ -5.37 million
                        2015 - $ -5.32 million
                        2016 - $ -5.69 million
                        2017 - $ -6.65 million
                        2018 - $ -6.89 million

That doesn't look very profitable to me.

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

How does ASU football subsidize anything if it loses almost $3 million? In the bigger picture, why aren't P5 powerhouses (most of them, anyway) that generate tens--even hundreds--of millions on football putting money into their institutions' general funds instead of taking money from them to cover operating deficits?.
                          To be fair ASU did report football profits of $16.29 million in 2016 and $11.64 million in 2017, which is why I have an averaged sheet for my hockey financials. A single year gives a snapshot in time, but you need to look at multiple years to get a clearer picture. Mind you, that profit still comes nowhere close to covering ASU's non-football expenses of $62 million in 2016 or their non-football expenses of $67.1 million in 2017 (nor their non-football expenses of $74 million in 2018). Even OSU, which reported $64.6 million in football profits for 2018, doesn't cover 50% of their $157.7 million non-football expenses.

Sean
                          Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                          Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                          BU Hockey highlights and extras
                          NCAA Hockey Financials
                          Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                          I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

2010 - $ -3.59 million
                            2011 - $ -3.74 million
                            2012 - $ -4.79 million
                            2013 - $ -5.38 million
                            2014 - $ -5.37 million
                            2015 - $ -5.32 million
                            2016 - $ -5.69 million
                            2017 - $ -6.65 million
                            2018 - $ -6.89 million

Sean
                            The poor return on investment for UMass moving to I-A in football has been well-documented: https://commonwealthmagazine.org/edu...or-big-losses/

Chasing big-time college football money from the lower divisions was always a dangerous game, even more so in the Northeast.

Comment

Sean
                              As a sales manager once said: "Yes, we're losing a little on each sale, but we'll make up those loses with more volume..."

The number is getting bigger each year and as we all know: "Bigger is Better."
                              Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                              https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                              Originally posted by geezer
                              Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                              Originally posted by manurespreader
                              ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

To be fair ASU did report football profits of $16.29 million in 2016 and $11.64 million in 2017, which is why I have an averaged sheet for my hockey financials. A single year gives a snapshot in time, but you need to look at multiple years to get a clearer picture. Mind you, that profit still comes nowhere close to covering ASU's non-football expenses of $62 million in 2016 or their non-football expenses of $67.1 million in 2017 (nor their non-football expenses of $74 million in 2018). Even OSU, which reported $64.6 million in football profits for 2018, doesn't cover 50% of their $157.7 million non-football expenses.

Sean
                                Thanks as usual for crunching the numbers. Would appreciate if you could shed some light on what those seemingly massive "non-football expenses" might include.

Comment

Working...
                                X