Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Pandemic and budget strain: Will any schools drop hockey?

Not a major surprise, but sadly CHN reporting numerous sources citing UAH will eliminate Men's Hockey effective immediately.

Sorry, gfm

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
      Not a major surprise, but sadly CHN reporting numerous sources citing UAH will eliminate Men's Hockey effective immediately.

Sorry, gfm
      SUX! Majorly!

Comment

Well given how much the rest of the college hockey world has told them to **** off in the last 15 years, it’s amazing that they lasted this long.

Most of the other programs I can think of that dropped hockey played in lousy arenas and/or were lucky to draw 1000 fans to a game.

At their lowest point, UAH (as a secondary-at-best tenant getting sub-optimal time slots for home games) still more than 1200 a game, and had several points where they drew well over 2000 fans a game.

By that measure, this is one of the most successful programs that we’ve lost. Iona, Findlay, Fairfield, Kent State… they could barely fill a coat room with fans. The Chargers could draw better than them literally any day of the week, and I think we will all miss them.
        If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by hockeyplayer1015 View Post
          Not a major surprise, but sadly CHN reporting numerous sources citing UAH will eliminate Men's Hockey effective immediately...(
          And equally sadly, likely not the last shoe (skate?) to drop.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
          ...At their lowest point, UAH (as a secondary-at-best tenant getting sub-optimal time slots for home games) still more than 1200 a game, and had several points where they drew well over 2000 fans a game.....
          Huntsville (the city) and the surrounding area has had a strong and well-established youth hockey organization for decades. Also co-host of a regional Jr franchise in recent years. The only thing UAH needed was D1 opponents in that part of the world. Something that just wasn't going to happen in SEC country.
          "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            ... and I think we will all miss them.
            I always enjoyed watching UAH play at Abel Arena. One of my favorite players I've seen okay, outside of the Lakers, was Guerriero. I'll be missing the Chargers for no sure.
            LSSU Alumni & Fan.

Still a work in progress, but please join us at the (unofficial) Laker Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
              I know Wodon isn’t an optimist by any definition, but reading between the lines of his tweet tells me that Anchorage is also going to drop this off-season.
              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

I think SCSU is dropping education (I’ll let you make the smart-*** remark)
                I wanna go fast!

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post

Huntsville (the city) and the surrounding area has had a strong and well-established youth hockey organization for decades. Also co-host of a regional Jr franchise in recent years. The only thing UAH needed was D1 opponents in that part of the world. Something that just wasn't going to happen in SEC country.
                  agree
                  Originally posted by mtu_huskies
                  "We are not too far away from a national championship," said (John) Scott.
                  Boosh Factor 4

Originally posted by Brent Hoven
                  Yeah, but you're my favorite hag.

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                    Sports Equipment, Uniforms, Supplies - $5 million
                    Sean
                    Not issuing new jerseys, pants, helmets, socks, gloves and shoes to every player every game like every program wants to do now-a-days for football...
                    New budget $250,000.

It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if NCAA football has to take major steps backwards, and reset their expectations or is even dropped by a lot of universities. Then the NFL can come in and take over their minor league and pay for its operation. The fact that billions of dollars is being spent on one sport in college athletics like money grows on trees is beyond dumb when nearly every campus has their hand out looking for money to pay for academic programs.
                    Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                    https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                    Originally posted by geezer
                    Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                    Originally posted by manurespreader
                    ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

It might suck but unlike a school like ASU that has money, it was never gonna workout long term for such an outlier like UAH. The Alaska schools will suffer the same fate eventually.

Comment

I can't really see schools dropping football since that is a primary money maker but I suppose I could see programs like UConn and UMass ditching football but that's no loss anyway. Dumpster fire programs like that. Highly doubtful any P5 school drops football.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Not issuing new jerseys, pants, helmets, socks, gloves and shoes to every player every game like every program wants to do now-a-days for football...
                          New budget $250,000.

It wouldn't be a bad thing at all if NCAA football has to take major steps backwards, and reset their expectations or is even dropped by a lot of universities. Then the NFL can come in and take over their minor league and pay for its operation. The fact that billions of dollars is being spent on one sport in college athletics like money grows on trees is beyond dumb when nearly every campus has their hand out looking for money to pay for academic programs.
                          ASU gets uniforms & gear for free. Roughly break even on revenue vs expenses for football. But it is a crazy amount of money!
                          Last edited by Sol Diablo; 05-22-2020, 08:00 PM.

Comment

Probably the only sport that is "cut-proof" in this would be Men's & Women's Bouncy Ball. Is there a single D-I or D-II program that DOESN'T offer bouncy ball? If it comes down to it, you will see the entire athletic department fold before cutting that.
                            It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Originally posted by Sol Diablo View Post
                              ASU gets uniforms & gear for free. Roughly break even on revenue vs expenses for football. But it is a crazy amount of money!
                              OK, but then what did ASU spend the $6.3 million they reported as Sports Equipment, Uniforms, and Supplies expenses for the 2017-18 season? Also, ASU reported a nearly $2.7 million loss on football ($52.8 million total expenses) for 2017-18.

Sean
                              Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                              Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                              BU Hockey highlights and extras
                              NCAA Hockey Financials
                              Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                              I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                                Probably the only sport that is "cut-proof" in this would be Men's & Women's Bouncy Ball. Is there a single D-I or D-II program that DOESN'T offer bouncy ball? If it comes down to it, you will see the entire athletic department fold before cutting that.
                                It is required at the D-1 level to have basketball. The only college I know of at any NCAA Level that doesn't sponsor basketball is Mass Maritime as the students leave campus to go on the boat for the winter.
                                Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Working...
                                X