X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Ohio State Buckeyes 2020-2021 ... Unfinished Business

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    It wasn't a request for peer review.
    That's the trouble with Internet forums. The people who offer an unsolicited opinion are seldom the ones from whom you wish to hear.

Originally posted by pgb-ohio View Post
    I don't want anything to do with calling this year's NCAA tournament an eight way tie.
    I didn't mean a tie as in a tie for the title, but more akin to calling a regular-season game a tie. It's an unsatisfying result, to be sure, but in some ways preferable to trying to jump through hoops to determine an artificial winner. Bad phrasing on my part; undetermined champion would be closer to what I mean.

As for crediting an appearance, I imagine that we'll all have to add a few extra words at times to say that Team X qualified for its mth consecutive NCAA Tournament and nth overall.
    "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
    And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
      As for crediting an appearance, I imagine that we'll all have to add a few extra words at times to say that Team X qualified for its mth consecutive NCAA Tournament and nth overall.
      Wisconsin was, or is, on a "12 out of the last 14" into the Frozen Four, with the other two being "did not make the field". That certainly gets an "asterisk".

(Man, this whole thing sucks on SO many levels.)

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
        That's the trouble with Internet forums. The people who offer an unsolicited opinion are seldom the ones from whom you wish to hear.
        You and robertearle are always welcome here. There can be moments of disconnect when visiting another team's thread; but we do OK. Usually common ground can be found. I know it's a low bar, but the USCHO Women's Hockey Board is more civil than most sports forums on the net.

That's a good suggestion. Just using the word "qualified" shouldn't be a difficult adjustment.

Originally posted by robertearle View Post
        (Man, this whole thing sucks on SO many levels.)
        And on this we can all agree.

Comment

The Buckeyes didn't get off to the start they wanted today, despite outshooting Minnesota 36-18. Give the Gophers a lot of credit for shutting out Ohio State 4-0 in this one. Grace Zumwinkle scored twice for the Gophers. Josey Dunne scored her first goal in a Minnesota uniform, and Taylor Wente added an empty-net goal to round out the scoring. Buckeye backstop Andrea Braendli saved 14 of the 18 shots she faced and Gopher goaltender Lauren Bench stopped all 36 shots she faced to get the win. The two teams are back at it tomorrow with game time being 3:07 pm EST.

Comment

With the head to head virtually even, (7 - 9 - 2 Ohio State), and Coach Muzerall knowing so much about Minnesota, Sunday's game will be the real eyeopener for these two teams. Will there be a Minnesota letdown? Will Ohio State dominate on the scoreboard besides the time of possession? Can Minnesota string together two intense games in a row? This will be a very interesting game in what looks to be an exciting season.

Comment

I'm looking for a better game from the Gophers today. They have seven freshmen on the roster, and most are being called upon to play key roles. Yesterday they got their first taste of D1 hockey against a top opponent. That should help them figure out what works and what doesn't work at the D1 level, and what adjustments they need to make to become more effective in all three zones.

I would expect both the SOG and the final score to be more even in today's matchup.
              Last edited by D2D; 11-22-2020, 08:08 AM.
              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Well I renewed my BTN+ subscription today (which I cancelled in disgust when the B1G said no football) and got to watch our Lady Bucks get a good win and a weekend split with Minnesota!
                I think our D definitely won it for us today with very good anticipation of Minnesota and holding on in a 6 on 4 situation at the end of the game.
                If I can be devils advocate here I think our passing and keeping the puck on the tape was a weak area for us today and when we had odd man rushes we lost excellent scoring chances on indecision on who was going to do what on passing and shooting but that will improve as the team chemistry comes together the more games you get under your belt.
                I also thought many of our shots were hardly that, very weak and not much effort on placement. That being said it is the first series of the season so I'm not alarmed as i would be if we were heading into playoffs.
                If we can firm up the areas I mentioned and hang with Wisconsin we will be contenders again but just can't do what we did last season and lose the "easy" games we're supposed to win.
                It's disappointing for all college hockey fans we can't be there with the exception of Mr.PGB but hey, so far we've got a season and I can't be more excited for Ohio State's women's and men's hockey programs!
                Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-22-2020, 06:16 PM.

Comment

Good bounce-back win for the Buckeyes today by a final score of 2-1. Grace Zumwinkle opened the scoring for the Gophers to give them a 1-0 lead in the first period. Ohio State answered with goals from Liz Schepers and Tatum Skaggs to take a 2-1 lead into the first intermission. Neither team found the back of the net in the final two frames and that was how it ended. Ohio State outshot Minnesota 35-26 in this one. Both goaltenders were stingy in this one with Lauren Bench stopping 33 of the 35 shots she faced and Ohio State's Andrea Braendli saving 25 of the 26 shots she faced. The Gophers will travel to Duluth next weekend to take on UMD. The Buckeyes will return home to face #1 Wisconsin.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                    If we can firm up the areas I mentioned and hang with Wisconsin we will be contenders again but just can't do what we did last season and lose the "easy" games we're supposed to win.
                    You have a distinct advantage having played 2 games against a great opponent already. It will be fascinating to see how game 1 plays out.
                    Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
                    ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
                    Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
                    "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
                    Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post

You have a distinct advantage having played 2 games against a great opponent already. It will be fascinating to see how game 1 plays out.
                      I have the same issue with our men's team playing at Minnesota tonight and on that huge ice as well.
                      As far as the women playing Wisconsin next weekend it is something to look forward to. Wisconsin usually sets the bar in the WCHA but Coach Muzzy does get a lot out of our girls to be tenacious and potential contenders. I think even if we split with teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin it works to our advantage if we can take care of business with the rest of the conference teams.

Comment

Originally posted by Hockeybuckeye View Post
                        I think even if we split with teams like Minnesota and Wisconsin it works to our advantage if we can take care of business with the rest of the conference teams.
                        We appeared to learn our lesson with that last year and and did not lose too many games against teams we were supposed to beat. That plagued us the season before (2018-19) and ultimately cost us a spot in the NCAA Tournament that season, but the girls appeared to learn that lesson in the 2019-20 season. Hopefully they keep it up this season. After winning the WCHA Final Face Off last season, teams will get up to play them.

Comment

The muzzinator has her squad playing pretty well. Maybe Wisco is feeling the effects of not playing yet...OSU scores three times on them in the first period. And it goes final... 3-2 win for the OSU.
                          At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

What a great game. OSU was tenacious all game long and home ice was definitely an advantage tonight.
                            I can't sell Wisconsin short, it goes without saying the skilled players they have and the quality of their program but we used a strong defense tonight to minimize their chances.
                            A sweep is quite possible but again, Wisconsin will be playing the next game with a chip on their shoulders so it should be a great one to watch!
                            Perhaps we'll get Mr.PGB with the detailed report later?
                            Last edited by Hockeybuckeye; 11-27-2020, 07:54 PM.

Comment

The Buckeyes played the relentless hockey that has become their trademark under Coach Muzerall and it led to a big 3-2 win over #1-ranked Wisconsin. Ohio State came out firing with three first-period goals from Sophie Jaques, Madison Bizal, and Jenna Buglioni. Wisconsin got a goal from Daryl Watts and the teams went to the first intermission with the Buckeyes leading 3-1. The Badgers got a goal early in the second period from Brette Pettet to cut the deficit to 3-2, and that was how it ended as neither team found the back of the net the rest of the way. The Buckeyes outshot the Badgers 36-24 with Andrea Braendli stopping 22 of the 24 shots she faced. Wisconsin goaltender Kennedy Blair stopped 33 of the 36 shots she faced. The two teams are back in action tomorrow at 2:37 pm EST.
                              Last edited by osualum86; 11-28-2020, 10:57 PM.

Comment

Final Score From Friday, November 27th
                                Ohio State 3
                                Wisconsin 2
                                Nothing Viral Here

The Covid-19 Pandemic has cast a pall over, well, pretty much all of 2020. It's been tough to stay positive. Tough to get motivated to post. This isn't going to be my best effort. Tonight's 3 Stars Post won't be going viral, that's for sure.

But all was well on the ice Friday evening. I felt great pride in the players & coaches.

Three Stars Of The Game: Decidedly Unofficial & Just For Fun

Wisconsin Honorable Mention: Daryl Watts
                                Ironically it was one of the visiting players who captured my mixed emotions about launching the season at this point. In the 1st Period, Daryl had a dynamic goal to get the Badgers back into the game. But as time was winding down at the end, with the potential tying goal on her stick, Watts missed the target and was visibly frustrated.

Not a perfect analogy, of course. But it just kind of meshed with my feeling of "It's great to back, but..."

Maybe Timothy A had it right. The Buckeyes were building off a successful first weekend; the Badgers were just getting their feet wet in this strangest of years. I didn't travel to MN or get to see either game. So I can relate.

Ohio State Honorable Mention: 1st Line Forwards
                                It's major treat to watch the three Senior Forwards in action. Determined hustle. Impressive skill. Amazing chemistry.

The Badgers are aware. A conscious effort was made to shut the Big 3 down. It was partially successful; they were limited to assists on this night. But in terms of winning puck battles, winning face-offs, offensive zone time, and more, the first liners really controlled the game. Often when you play UW, it's mighty tough to get into the Badger zone. Tonight, it was tough for the Badgers to get out.

#3 Star: Brette Pettet, Wisconsin
                                Brette completed the lightning strike 14 seconds into the 2nd Period, closing the gap to 3-2. For the remaining 40 minutes, the score remained the same.

#2 Star: (tie) Sophie Jacques, Ohio State and Madison Bizal, Ohio State
                                The first and second Buckeye goals were rather similar. Preoccupied with stopping the Buckeyes' 1st Line, the Badgers gave the Buckeye 'D' some room to work with in the high slot. Sophie & Madison both took advantage, each burying a shot from up high.

#1 Star: Jenna Buglioni, Ohio State
                                What a home debut for the Freshman from Port Moody, BC! Jenna leveraged her startling speed into the GWG. First she won a race to a loose puck, nullifying an icing call. Then she quickly found her way to a backdoor position, finishing off a rebound for the key tally. We've got a good one in Buglioni.

Up Next: Rematch With Wisconsin. And Covid Still Sucks.

Comment

Working...
                                X