2020-21 Women's D1 Hockey Season - Impact of covid-19

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• 2020-21 Women's D1 Hockey Season - Impact of covid-19

Curious to see how fellow forum members think about the upcoming season, if there is one. Pick one of the three options, and feel free to add any comments supporting your belief.

#1. Teams will play a full season, including playoffs and NCAA tournament - everything as usual

#2. There will be some modifications to the schedules, including but not limited to delayed starts, reduced travel resulting in fewer games played, changes in playoff formats, etc.

#3. The entire season will be cancelled - no games played

Bonus question: Will fans who attend the games be impacted? (social distancing in the stands, face masks, concessions, or ?)
    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Re: 2020-21 Women's D1 Hockey Season - Impact of covid-19

Originally posted by D2D View Post
    Curious to see how fellow forum members think about the upcoming season, if there is one. Pick one of the three options, and feel free to add any comments supporting your belief.

#1. Teams will play a full season, including playoffs and NCAA tournament - everything as usual

#2. There will be some modifications to the schedules, including but not limited to delayed starts, reduced travel resulting in fewer games played, changes in playoff formats, etc.

Bonus question: Will fans who attend the games be impacted? (social distancing in the stands, face masks, concessions, or ?)

Likely 2. Personally, I think they should go with 1 but that is my opinion. Most of the stats show that this disease has little impact on people in this age group.

Women's hockey, like most women's college sports unfortunately, have historically practiced social distancing in the stands so I don't see much change needed there.

Comment

When dealing with anything NCAA related, the basic rule is “think like a university president”.

There will be no college sports until students are back on campus and the university is protected. Keep the “university is protected” in mind first and foremost

The colleges are getting crushed right now by not getting full tuition or room/board. The presidents will do everything in their power to get students back on campus in the fall. If they can’t, a lot of schools are in serious trouble financially and this must be protected first. For student’s ‘health’, there probably will be some window-dressing like hand santizers, warning signs, etc., but the real thing will be getting liability immunity from the states and feds. Once that is in place, students will be back on campus paying full freight and the university presidents are happy.

Sports will then resume, but with most likely ‘limited’ fan attendance; students first and then limited public. For women’s hockey, outside LaBahn and Ridder, not likely an issue at all. Lets see what happens with the fall sports first as that will be the leading indicator, especially football. Future might be a little bit bleak for ‘non-revenue’ sports though and I think will become the bigger issue going forward.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
        Likely 2. Personally, I think they should go with 1 but that is my opinion. Most of the stats show that this disease has little impact on people in this age group.

Women's hockey, like most women's college sports unfortunately, have historically practiced social distancing in the stands so I don't see much change needed there.
        #3 it is an election year.

From a scholarship point of view, it will get very interesting if all sports are canceled. Most schollies are year to year.

Comment

Originally posted by D2D View Post

#2 is already being discussed by the teams and will likely be the only way a season will happen if it happens at all. Teams likely won’t fly at all and I could see a Jan-to-March, WCHA-games-only regular season. National Tournament would be a “ game time decision” based on conditions in the Spring.

Comment

#2 if we're lucky I think... I hope.
            Grant Salzano, Boston College '10
            Writer Emeritus, BC Interruption
            Twitter: @Salzano14

Click here for the BC Interruption Pairwise, KRACH, and GRaNT Calculators

Comment

Originally posted by TonyTheTiger20 View Post
              #2 if we're lucky I think... I hope.
              What he said.
              Fan of CLARKSON: 2014, 2017 & 2018 NC$$ WOMEN'S DIV 1 HOCKEY NATIONAL CHAMPIONS *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********
              And of 3 Patty Kaz recepients: Jamie Lee Rattray, Loren Gabel and Elizabeth Giguere
              WHOOOOOOOOO WHOOOOOOOOO
              If Union Can Do It So Can CCT (One of These Years) *******https://fanforum.uscho.com/core/images/smilies/smile.gi*********

Comment

Working...
              X