Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 Part 9: Shelter In Place is Temporary, but Wu-Tang is Forever

Governor Pritzker has unveiled a five stage plan to get Illinois back to work, and we're only on phase two.

In other news, my wife was told by her employer that until phase five is reached, she's not going back to work for them.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
      Yes. The NC$$ is nothing but a fictive container that the conferences use. As we see whenever there is a compliance investigation.

The only way they would take sh-t is if the other conferences all lined up and voted against them, but there's no percentage in that.
      I know the tail wags the dog. I just don't see how the school protects itself from coercing athletes into returning to put themselves at risk.

And more to the point- there is no way to assure the virus doesn't end up on the field. That will happen even if they can manage to find tests. Even if you test multiple times a day there is no way you catch everyone.

There are a lot of moving parts.
      -Every state, city, will have different sets of rules. How do you deal with that?
      -You are crossing state lines, flying etc. What do you do when you get to the airport and the guy has a 101F fever? Who stays behind? You might have a charter but that still puts your whole team at risk if you put the dude on the plane.
      -If someone tests positive that might mean isolation for for large groups of the team for 14 days. They are opening up (fools) but if you are positive pretty much nowhere thinks you should be walking around- you are told to isolate.
      -What do you do if someone is symptomatic but not yet tested?
      -How do you sanitize facilities? lifting equipment? Bikes? other equipment?

You can say they are willing to sacrifice the athletes but one of the risk groups is that age group. Add in that they are working at max effort or close to it for some of them so their immune systems will be trash. They might not die but they can get pretty dam sick. There are a finite # of them. Same concept as when you open the economy, willing to sacrifice people. It isn't a flick the switch kind of thing where people either die or sail thru it. You end up very quickly with a large # of incapacitated people and the ability to play anything is moot...

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Governor Pritzker has unveiled a five stage plan to get Illinois back to work, and we're only on phase two.

In other news, my wife was told by her employer that until phase five is reached, she's not going back to work for them.
        I wish VA would do this. It might give our local office a chance when national HQ starts blatting about reopening.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

F-cktard Central keeps delivering.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Well played Earth...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Well played Earth...
                This was just the proof of concept.

Wait til the real rollout.
                Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  Again, social distancing doesn't stop the virus, it slows the virus spread. There is a difference, and one that people conveniently ignore when they claim we can just social distance this problem away.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                    Hey, you know what? Ramsey County North Dakota has got it whipped too. No new cases. Everyone who had it is cured. That is some top notch pandemic whipping government for you right there.

I'll say this again, just one time. The United States is not Hong Kong. It is not South Korea. It is not New Zealand. It is not Sweden, or Norway, or Italy or Bahrain or any other place that you want to bring up as some sort of example or comparison, or whatever.

We are a huge country. We are densely populated in some areas, not so much in others. We send tens if not hundreds of thousands of people a week all around the globe on business or for pleasure. We are visited by tens if not hundreds of thousands of people monthly. We are literally the global crossroads, and that says nothing about the internal mobility we have in this country.

Just stop. It's silly.
                    That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                      Hey, you know what? Ramsey County North Dakota has got it whipped too. No new cases. Everyone who had it is cured. That is some top notch pandemic whipping government for you right there.

I'll say this again, just one time. The United States is not Hong Kong. It is not South Korea. It is not New Zealand. It is not Sweden, or Norway, or Italy or Bahrain or any other place that you want to bring up as some sort of example or comparison, or whatever.

We are a huge country. We are densely populated in some areas, not so much in others. We send tens if not hundreds of thousands of people a week all around the globe on business or for pleasure. We are visited by tens if not hundreds of thousands of people monthly. We are literally the global crossroads, and that says nothing about the internal mobility we have in this country.

Just stop. It's silly.
                      Can I hear your argument again? I remember you sticking out as not only someone who was extremely skeptical not only of a large number of people dying, but also an extremely high number of people getting infected in the first place. People threw out, based on what they’d read from experts, 45-70% of the population getting covid-19. You were skeptical and said it was basically fear mongering. And now, as its looking more and more likely that those numbers aren’t so crazy anymore, it was inevitable because were not one of those countries who made it work based on geography and demographics? It’s certainly possible you’ve explained your complete shift in stance on this crisis. Maybe you even wrote somewhere it wasn’t fear mongering. Hell, you don’t even have to explain yourself and your shift. It’s a college hockey message board. I just find your starting viewpoints on this virus, to the current ones you hold, as the largest shift of the 11 people on here who regularly post. 🤷🏻

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post

Just stop. It's silly.
                        Well thank **** none of those places you listed are visited by dirty foreigners...
                        Do you think it was easy to get it under control in a city of just under 8 million people? Typical Republican attitude, sounds hard so we shouldn't bother trying.

Comment

It’s a complete cop out, but probably what republicans are about to start touting. Oh, we’re so much more complex, can’t compare, no way we could do what other places did....

Pretty sure France alone gets more visitors than we do. But no let’s not learn from any other countries because we don’t exactly match up every demographic and geographic point.

Comment

Originally posted by psych View Post
                            Can I hear your argument again? I remember you sticking out as not only someone who was extremely skeptical not only of a large number of people dying, but also an extremely high number of people getting infected in the first place. People threw out, based on what they’d read from experts, 45-70% of the population getting covid-19. You were skeptical and said it was basically fear mongering. And now, as its looking more and more likely that those numbers aren’t so crazy anymore, it was inevitable because were not one of those countries who made it work based on geography and demographics? It’s certainly possible you’ve explained your complete shift in stance on this crisis. Maybe you even wrote somewhere it wasn’t fear mongering. Hell, you don’t even have to explain yourself and your shift. It’s a college hockey message board. I just find your starting viewpoints on this virus, to the current ones you hold, as the largest shift of the 11 people on here who regularly post. 🤷🏻
                            I think what you should really do is spend a little time and go back and read my posts on the subject. I don't post that much, and I've never deleted one, so it'll be easy for you to do.

I don't believe I've ever suggested that it was "fear mongering" or anything of the sort. I also don't think I ever suggested the virus was a hoax or was otherwise skeptical of the virus. I didn't even do what so many of you think I did, come in here and claim there is no way the virus would ever kill 20,000 people in this country.

In mid-March I was having a discussion with some posters about what may or may not be an appropriate response to this virus in terms of shutting down the country. I didn't even take a position on whether the country should be shut down, or to what extent. I simply asked whether there were any number of deaths where we might view the "cure" as being worse than the condition. I indicated that if I knew the deaths were going to be a million or more, obviously we need to take steps to try to minimize that. Then the discussion turned to what if it were 100,000 deaths, or something like that.

At that point, someone, (maybe slapshot?) asked me if I had a guess. I said I thought the number would be less than 20,000 deaths in the country, but in that same post pointed out that it was, a) a guess, and b) an uneducated one at that.

At the time there were something like 40 deaths in the country total, and steps were starting to be taken. I thought, given that it was a respiratory virus, there was some chance that like MERS and SARS, it might be contained before hundred thousand people were killed. It turns out not to be the case, and my guess was wrong.

But if you think I said I was skeptical or we were engaged in fear mongering, by all means, please cite to my post where I said that.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                              Thought she promised not to lie...I'm shocked she has broken that promise.
                              Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                              Originally posted by Quizmire
                              mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                              MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                              MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                              I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Pure gaslighting

Comment

Working...
                                X