Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 Part 9: Shelter In Place is Temporary, but Wu-Tang is Forever

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    I still agree with all of those things I posted. My posts in response to Handy and slapshot discussed something I feel very strongly about. I think it is not helpful for people in government or some sort of official to make wild estimations of deaths or needs for ventilators or whatever, with no real factual basis. People were saying things like two million people might be infected in a month or two, and when anyone questioned that they’d say something like “what if it’s a million.” My objection was to making decisions based upon wild speculation. I still object to that.

I also still feel very strongly about people ignoring scale. Yes, it’s unfortunate and sad that 70,000+ have died so far in the US, and 250,000+ worldwide. But again, 2.7 million die every year in this country and 60 million worldwide, so no, I don’t think this qualifies as a disaster of unimaginable proportions.
    Jesus, you're heartless. What part of 'didn't need to die' don't you understand?

"Since Ben got that he's a sociopath............."
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
      Fair enough. Already obvious at this point, but we’ll agree to disagree on the last part, and leave it at that.
      Not trying to pick fights or cause additional stress for anyone. I understand people are under significant pressure and stress related to family, finances, health and otherwise, and the last thing I want to do is add to it.

Peace
      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
        Jesus, you're heartless.
        Only one thing to do then. Off to see the Wizard.
        That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Only one thing to do then. Off to see the Wizard.
          I'd settle for you taking care of your employees.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
            What are we gonna learn from this?

I figure we're gonna learn that poor people are expendable, and if hundreds of thousands of them die, that's just the price of doing business, rich people can take advantage of national crises to corner even more of the market wealth for themselves, just as they did in 2008, and government's only responsibility is to see that those rich peoples' wealth isn't jeopardized, for any reason, just as we did in 2008.
            We're a fvcking 3rd world country, a failed state. And poor people are absolutely expendable in 3rd world countries and/or failed states.

Autumn is gonna be fun. We're not going to take half the social distancing measures we could barely stomach for a month this time around. 3000 deaths a day is going to look like a walk in the park compared to October and November. On the plus side, a LOT more trump voters are going to be dying during the fall.

Comment

• Originally posted by psych View Post
              Fair enough. Already obvious at this point, but we’ll agree to disagree on the last part, and leave it at that.
              Side note, this is why I enjoy reading (most the time skimming) this forum.

Even though sometimes it might feel like '90s Wings/Avs or '70s Flyers/Everyone on the Cafe topics, it's just words and we move on.
              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                You're a bit behind.

Kalamazoo, Michigan, pop. 74,262. Like it never existed. "One day, it'll just disappear........................."
                Where are you getting your number from....tomorrow's papers?

Currently the "Official" count is 73,243 (UCBadger uses Washington Post numbers..... https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/ )

And I should have posted that one about 2:00 this afternoon....got busy doing other stuff.
                Last edited by UCBadger; 05-06-2020, 08:58 PM.
                2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                  Where are you getting your number from....tomorrow's papers?

Currently the "Official" count is 73,243 (UCBadger uses Washington Post numbers..... https://www.washingtonpost.com/graph...-cases-deaths/ )

And I should have posted that one about 2:00 this afternoon....got busy doing other stuff.
                  Worldometers has 74,799 currently
                  Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                  Originally posted by Quizmire
                  mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                  MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                  MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                  I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by MinnesotaNorthStar View Post
                    Worldometers has 74,799 currently
                    Yeah.....its already tomorrow at that site.....lol!
                    2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                    2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                    2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                    2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                    2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                    2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                    Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                    1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                      Yeah.....its already tomorrow at that site.....lol!
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                        The peak of Keanu's acting career.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                          The peak of Keanu's acting career.
                          Ohhhhhhhhhhh no. He has quite a few roles better than that, although that performance was outstanding.

To The Bone, 47 Ronin was solid, A Scanner Darkly, Man Of Tai Chi, and let's not forget The Replacements (ok that last one is a guilty pleasure).
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

The Sex Pistols said it to the Brits 45 years ago. Time we learned it.

We're just another country.

They also said, "ever get the feeling you'd been cheated?"
                            Last edited by Kepler; 05-06-2020, 09:54 PM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Hey, you know what? Ramsey County North Dakota has got it whipped too. No new cases. Everyone who had it is cured. That is some top notch pandemic whipping government for you right there.

I'll say this again, just one time. The United States is not Hong Kong. It is not South Korea. It is not New Zealand. It is not Sweden, or Norway, or Italy or Bahrain or any other place that you want to bring up as some sort of example or comparison, or whatever.

We are a huge country. We are densely populated in some areas, not so much in others. We send tens if not hundreds of thousands of people a week all around the globe on business or for pleasure. We are visited by tens if not hundreds of thousands of people monthly. We are literally the global crossroads, and that says nothing about the internal mobility we have in this country.

Just stop. It's silly.
                              You know what's silly? Your complete BS reply. You made the claim that social distancing cannot stop the spread of the virus, which is very simply wrong. Not one single point in your response has ANYTHING to do with your claim. You're not even moving the goalposts, your changing games. Try to defend your actual point, clown.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
                                You know what's silly? Your complete BS reply. You made the claim that social distancing cannot stop the spread of the virus, which is very simply wrong. Not one single point in your response has ANYTHING to do with your claim. You're not even moving the goalposts, your changing games. Try to defend your actual point, clown.
                                It is much easier to scroll by. People have made intelligent, logical arguments. The responses are tone deaf. It reminds me of talking to someone with diabetes when they expect you to say it will go away in a bit because they can't deal with having to do x.y,z. It isn't fair. (they end up in a coma. In this case people end up dead.)

Its sort of like listening to someone say they have to give the kid the candy at the check out line because they won't listen to no and will pitch a fit. Our culture has made it acceptable to not care for others. It has also made acceptable for people to be intellectually lazy and have very short attention spans. Not a good mix.

Comment

Working...
                                X