Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 Part 9: Shelter In Place is Temporary, but Wu-Tang is Forever

Thanks New Yorkers! Lol

“ New York City residents who fled lockdown orders and traveled around the U.S. are responsible for much of the spread of a second wave of coronavirus in the country, according to findings from scientists.”

https://thehill.com/policy/healthcar...nd-coronavirus

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      Thanks New Yorkers! Lol

“ New York City residents who fled lockdown orders and traveled around the U.S. are responsible for much of the spread of a second wave of coronavirus in the country, according to findings from scientists.”

We created everything in the country; might as well destroy it, too.

Last edited by Kepler; 05-07-2020, 08:51 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Thanks New Yorkers! Lol

Figures.
        **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
        Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Thanks New Yorkers! Lol

Remember when people were horrified by the idea of not letting people leave that area? There isn't much we haven't done wrong during this.
          Originally posted by BobbyBrady
          Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Dump installed a donor as postmaster yesterday. USPS will be dead months before voting.
            He’ll destroy it just to get at Amazon.(Bezos)
            $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
            Just win.....

Comment

They wrote off the older crowd to the Trumpvirus, now it will be the kids.

Sick.
              $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
              Just win.....

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Hovey (and other reopeners), I'm genuinely and non-snarkily interested in what you think of this story.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

And Harvard says only 9 states should reopen because they are only ones equipped to test enough.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Hovey (and other reopeners), I'm genuinely and non-snarkily interested in what you think of this story.
                      It's not surprising they've done it. It also won't surprise me if tomorrow, after getting some backlash, they re-implement it. There is nothing the administration could do where I would be surprised.

By the way, when did I become a "reopener?" Have I lobbied for any states to re-open? Have I posted one word in support of the protesters demanding that states re-open?

Again, I don't believe I owe a duty to you to stay home, yet as I've said repeatedly, I think staying home is a great idea for your own protection, and I've followed that practice now for going on two months.

I also strongly believe that when the pandemic is studied, years from now, they will conclude that we probably didn't react in the optimal fashion. We essentially have followed the same strategy we followed in 1918, which is after it appeared we had everyone wear masks and try to shelter in place. It didn't work great in 1918, and I don't think it's been particularly effective thus far. Now, what is the optimal strategy? I have no idea. I'm not sure anyone has.

I also believe strongly in letting each of the individual governors map out an appropriate strategy for their state and local communities, because not every state has the same situation or is in the same stage of the pandemic. This theory of local strategy and control was roundly pooh-poohed here, until Trump started issuing proclamations about what he thought should happen in the country.

But, as I've written before, I'm not interested in going to any bars or restaurants, I'm not interested in going to any concerts or ballgames. I don't think it would be a great idea right now, and my wife would kill me.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Good thing we have it under control here so we can help Russia...
                        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                          Again, I don't believe I owe a duty to you to stay home, yet as I've said repeatedly, I think staying home is a great idea for your own protection, and I've followed that practice now for going on two months.
                          Um, what???? How ****ing selfish is this?? I'm staying home because I could be an asymptomatic carrier and it would kill me (maybe even literally) if I went out and gave to someone. I almost started crying on the phone with my mother last night as I begged her to not go out. She said she was going to and not tell me. She's 85. I've been telling her I won't go into her apartment because I'm worried about transmitting something to her. It worries me when she goes out to take the trash out or get her mail.

You ABSOLUTELY owe it to me to stay home. I'm staying home for you and for others.

Comment

By the way, when did I become a "reopener?"
                            My impression is that you favor reopening in "careful" stages and then slowing down if there is another surge. I apologize if this is not correct.

As for staying home, that's not only for you. Decreasing the density of people in public places is how we starve the coronavirus and in doing so the control the COVID-19 disease.

You may not score the TD but you may throw the vital block for somebody else. We are a team.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 05-07-2020, 12:00 PM.
                            Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              My impression is that you favor reopening in "careful" stages and then slowing down if there is another surge. I apologize if this is not correct.
                              I think that's Rube, but I don't want to put words in anyone's mouth.

It's not something that you have to apologize for, it's just been a case recently where some people assume that I advocate for certain positions because of statements I write on other issues.

I did write, a month or two ago, that I thought it was unrealistic to expect the entire country to agree to participate in shelter in place long-term, that by Memorial Day you were going to see rebellion against it. I was wrong, it didn't take until Memorial Day. I still believe that a widespread shutdown of the country that carries through the summer or longer is pretty unrealistic to expect. I just don't think people will agree to do it, and honestly I'm not certain how that would even work.

But that dispassionate assessment of the situation should not be read as advocacy that my local brewpub re-open today.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

In a civilized society you absolutely have a duty to your neighbors. If we don't have a duty to look out for the safety of our neighbors, we don't have a civilized society. In a world where the right wants to simplify and dumb down everything, why can't the right see that the simple notion of a sense of duty to your neighbors protects you as well as them? While you might be happy you don't live next door to me, I can assure you I'm da mn glad I don't live next door to you (even if you are staying inside) and if I did live next door to you, I'd move.

Comment

Working...
                                X