Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 Part 9: Shelter In Place is Temporary, but Wu-Tang is Forever

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
    To try to lighten this thread briefly....

I remembered today that I really suck at sewing. Tried to make some masks with pockets, and it just went badly the whole way- it took me 4 tries until I even got close at making one decent. The first two attempts failed on the first try at a weaving pattern. And I have no idea how to properly run a sewing machine- so many times the thread got taken out of the needle as I was just starting.

But I managed to make them, I guess. If I have to do this again, I need a way to draw on the cloth, even when I don't have chalk or something like that. Then I can do actual straight line.
    So a better mask popped on on the tube of u's. Maybe I'll try that, as I have more material to mess with. The actual machine work is a whole lot easier- just a straight one. It's more a matter of cutting it correctly than anything else.

Maybe this weekend when I can convince my wife that the masks I've made suck, and I can make them custom fit. Funny thing is that I have some good non-woven material to put in the middle in my briefcase. I think I have enough of that....

Comment

The CDC public service announcement with Dr. Birx starting out by saying "We know we're asking people to do a lot..." is really wearing thin. Unless you've lost your job (and yes, that is a lot of people) we're not asking all that much. The message should be what we're asking of you is nothing, and wearing a facemask is manly or ****, depending on whatever description you want to go with, and definitely patriotic.

It has been very sad to note that much like Heywood Hale Broun said about sports -- sports don't build character, sports reveal character -- this pandemic has revealed the character, or more correctly, the LACK of character of a lot of Americans.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
        To try to lighten this thread briefly....

I remembered today that I really suck at sewing. Tried to make some masks with pockets, and it just went badly the whole way- it took me 4 tries until I even got close at making one decent. The first two attempts failed on the first try at a weaving pattern. And I have no idea how to properly run a sewing machine- so many times the thread got taken out of the needle as I was just starting.

But I managed to make them, I guess. If I have to do this again, I need a way to draw on the cloth, even when I don't have chalk or something like that. Then I can do actual straight line.
        I see what you did there.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
          The CDC public service announcement with Dr. Birx starting out by saying "We know we're asking people to do a lot..." is really wearing thin. Unless you've lost your job (and yes, that is a lot of people) we're not asking all that much. The message should be what we're asking of you is nothing, and wearing a facemask is manly or ****, depending on whatever description you want to go with, and definitely patriotic.

It has been very sad to note that much like Heywood Hale Broun said about sports -- sports don't build character, sports reveal character -- this pandemic has revealed the character, or more correctly, the LACK of character of a lot of Americans.
          We have no resilience.
          Was chatting with someone today and having the same conversation that we have had a couple of times now. Pretty much a definition of why we are a big fail.

They will have to have a vaccine soon.... no they won't have one soon.... So is the only answer is to allow it to run through the population?... no, they don't know that we can get lasting immunity.... That's so far off though!... yep but that is reality.... but people will come unglued!

Like that is supposed to mean we can switch the game off because people are tired of playing.

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            We have no resilience.
            Was chatting with someone today and having the same conversation that we have had a couple of times now. Pretty much a definition of why we are a big fail.

They will have to have a vaccine soon.... no they won't have one soon.... So is the only answer is to allow it to run through the population?... no, they don't know that we can get lasting immunity.... That's so far off though!... yep but that is reality.... but people will come unglued!

Like that is supposed to mean we can switch the game off because people are tired of playing.
            I guess, short of shutting EVERYTHING down, minus health stuff...we need to proceed SLOWLY and as safely as we can.

I've read that there is no way to stop this without a vaccine, which isn't coming anytime soon, and we know from history what a Depression and a pandemic look like, as to the well being of humanity. We can slow it down, we can apparently still work, if arbitrarily deemed essential. That balancing act? It'll cost us. Don't care how you slice it, people will die.

So it's a matter of deciding where that line is. Best case, and it's still very depressing, the 50/50 split of people dying from the virus and people dying from economic downturn (health issues, suicide, starving, etc etc etc). This is anectdotal, but one of my great-grandmas died from results of The Depression, because her arteries were blocked from eating grisle from meat. She let NOTHING go to waste, b/c of The Depression. If you could eat it, you ate it. Period. She was that broke at the time. If she didn't have that hard-wired into her system...she probably had another 10-15 years in her.
            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

My employer is planning on social distancing and an employee testing program that might last 24 months. And because the social distancing requirements will require space reconfigurations, it’s likely my work from home arrangement will probably be 18-24 months so they can use my team’s space temporarily for postdocs and lab workers who need to be on site to run experiments. I’ll probably have to go in at some point to remove my personal belongings and bring some more of my equipment & prototype hardware home.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                My employer is planning on social distancing and an employee testing program that might last 24 months. And because the social distancing requirements will require space reconfigurations, it’s likely my work from home arrangement will probably be 18-24 months so they can use my team’s space temporarily for postdocs and lab workers who need to be on site to run experiments. I’ll probably have to go in at some point to remove my personal belongings and bring some more of my equipment & prototype hardware home.
                I have the temp-testing, that's about it. In the past 3 weeks, no one has tested above 98 degrees, which makes me wonder about the accuracy and efficiency of the test.
                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Best materials I’ve seen for homemade are 10-12 oz (or more) denim. Women’s jeans rarely hit that nowadays. Two layers of that with a sandwiched layer of several passes of chiffon or silk. Flannel is also somewhat effective. Theory is that the thick weave of the denim is more of a mechanical filter to catch the water droplets and the silk or chiffon are an electrostatic layer that will catch smaller particles. That said, almost all of the most effective materials are non-woven, so... 🤷🏼*♂️

As for other inner filters.... Do not under any circumstances use HEPA filters (also many or most vacuum cleaner bags). They all contain fiberglass. Some sites say don’t use furnace filters. I say do your research. Don’t look for reason you can use them, find reasons you can’t and see if you can disprove those. Some brands have lines that are acceptable. Other brands have none. Other brands are entirely ok.

Just make sure it fits tight, is washable, covers the entirety of your nose up to the middle of the bridge and down below your chin. Secondary concern is comfort. If it’s not comfortable, you’ll be less likely to use it. Ear savers are a godsend. Being able to secure the mask behind your head and neck as opposed to using your ears is preferable. Stay clean shaven, always.

Any gaps, even small ones, will reduce effectiveness dramatically. Make sure you have a means of donning and doffing without touching the mask material, just the ties. Consider buying or making a mask with a copper wire (or some other sort of malleable metal) that can be used as an adjustable nose clip to ensure it doesn’t fall down AND to make sure it has a tight seal. I’ve also heard ideas like running a bead of silicone around the edges can help make a more effective seal on homemade ones. Ymmv.

If you think you’ve been exposed to someone, wash your hands very well, remove the mask carefully, wash your hands very well again, don a new mask. Which is another good point, have several. Like at least two or three.

If you have surgical masks or respirators, you can wear one, put it in a clean paper bag, and isolate it for five (CDC) to ten (world’s foremost respirator manufacturer) days depending on who you believe. UV, ozone, water, alcohol etc. may degrade your rated mask. I’m not a big fan of disinfecting when time will also do the same, perhaps more effectively, without degrading the materials.

And in the end, the masks aren’t for you, they’re for us. So don’t be a ****ing dick; wear a mask even if it’s a cut up white kitchen towel.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Denim is a magical material overall. Truth.

Comment

This fall my department at the college is all online. I'm so not upset that I can work from home
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        This fall my department at the college is all online. I'm so not upset that I can work from home
                        Jerkface. I would love that option

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          When was that decision made? (asks a professor still grading online exams.....)
                          2016-2017 ECAC West Pick 'em Champion
                          2013-2014 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2012-2013 NCHAMIACMCHA Pick 'em Champion
                          2003-2004 SUNYAC Pick 'em Champion
                          2004 Recipient of “The Poster Formerly Known as Mr. Hockey”’s Punxsutawney Phil Award for Outstanding Prognostication.
                          2005-2018 Administrator of ECAC West Pick 'em & UCHC Pick 'em, the original D-III pick'em game; RIP
                          2009 D-III TOP runner-up
                          Wisconsin Hockey - NCAA Men's National Champions
                          1973, 1977, 1981*, 1983*, 1990, 2006

Comment

• Originally posted by UCBadger View Post
                            When was that decision made? (asks a professor still grading online exams.....)
                            Today. (also grading btw). We figured it was coming and our department is an easy transition to all online so I'm guessing the Dean volunteered right away.
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I agree

While I hope this thing would run roughshod over the White House and Congress and hundreds of senators, representatives and Pence and trump would die gasping for air as their families looked on in pain, it wouldn't make any difference with the crowd who puts Wall Street and the stock markets ahead of a person's health. 2 of their own were shot and had their lives horribly altered, yet meaningful changes to firearm safety laws are still light years away.
                              We're a fvcking 3rd world country, a failed state. And poor people are absolutely expendable in 3rd world countries and/or failed states.

Autumn is gonna be fun. We're not going to take half the social distancing measures we could barely stomach for a month this time around. 3000 deaths a day is going to look like a walk in the park compared to October and November. On the plus side, a LOT more trump voters are going to be dying during the fall.
                              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
                              Groucho Marx
                              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
                              Ron White
                              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
                              Milo Bloom

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X