Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Biden v Dump 1: If not now, when? If not us, who?

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Biden v Dump 1: If not now, when? If not us, who?

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
    I think I missed a reference.
    The Dominican has a rep for being the Thailand of the Western Hemisphere, for the creeps into that sort of thing.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
      The Dominican has a rep for being the Thailand of the Western Hemisphere, for the creeps into that sort of thing.
      Ohhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhhh...

Yeah, I did not know that.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
        You can shake your head at the stupidity and still not vote against the President who did it. Congress proved that during the same time period. Dubya was an idiot but his minions knew how to play their cards the exact right way and they had Faux basically shaming anyone who dared speak out. This place was very interesting back during the first part of the war...every 10 days or so someone would post an article as proof of WMDs and after the concert for peace people ripped Bruce Springsteen because he dared write a song that doesn't seem to support the war.

That is the other fatal flaw with Trump's strategy here. Civil unrest against a war, even if unpopular, is seen as treasonous. (that is why the nutters keep Antifa as their Boogeyman they need a big bad to justify the bad actions) Civil unrest against racial injustice (which is met by even further injustices) is a completely different animal especially in the era of the smart phone. NYPD can cry foul til they are blue in the face but when there are legit videos of cops beating up people on bicycles or attacking the media it just doesnt play. For the same reason people believe everything they see on CNN and Faux they believe what they see on video. Trump needed his Iran War to make this work.
        It was a pretty easy sell. You are certainly right that a war generates support, and being attacked on our soil, even if not by another country, primed the pump for revenge. Most people's minds were essentially made up then. When countervailing evidence kept popping up, all they needed was something to justify their confirmation bias. It took very little.

By November 2014 it was pretty obvious, but people don't change their minds easily. And, as you say, the Rs had a media machine pounding the narrative. But for voters who were thinking at all critically, the picture was pretty clear.

I, on the other hand, am willing to change my position. With the way the stock market continues to perform, I'm thinking I did not give Trump enough credit. Maybe there's something there.
        Last edited by burd; 06-05-2020, 02:00 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
          It was a pretty easy sell. You are certainly right that a war generates support, and being attacked on our soil, even if not by another country, primed the pump for revenge. Most people's minds were essentially made up then. When countervailing evidence kept popping up, all they needed was something to justify their confirmation bias. It took very little.

By November 2014 it was pretty obvious, but people don't change their minds easily. And, as you say, the Rs had a media machine pounding the narrative. But for voters who were thinking at all critically, the picture was pretty clear.
          And Rove had gay marriage bans on ballots on numerous key states.
          "I went over the facts in my head, and admired how much uglier the situation had just become. Over the years I've learned that ignorance is more than just bliss. It's freaking orgasmic ecstasy".- Harry Dresden, Blood Rites

Western Michigan Bronco Hockey- 2012 Mason Cup Champions

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post

I, on the other hand, am willing to change my position. With the way the stock market continues to perform, I'm thinking I did not give Trump enough credit. Maybe there's something there.
            I have been on record many times as saying I was wrong. I allowed myself to be duped by Powell and didnt do the requisite studying up on the facts. It didnt take long for me to change my mind but I never let my guard down now about crap like that.

A fun game we used to play around here was pointing out the times Faux swerved on people who didnt fully support Dubya. I think Pricelss used to screenshot when they would put a (D) after the name of GOPers who might not be in 100% lockstep. It was funny to us...but for the millions watching it branded them and they would change their tune rather fast. The ability of the average rube to tune out logic is scary sometimes.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
              I have been on record many times as saying I was wrong. I allowed myself to be duped by Powell and didnt do the requisite studying up on the facts.
              You may have been wrong, but knowing you from here, it wasn't from stubbornness. We all miss more of those things than we like to admit. I voted green in 2000, a foolish mistake that had huge implications. My vote didn't affect Wisconsin's outcome (by a hair's breadth), but it was a big mistake to throw that vote away. Dubya wasn't as obviously unqualified as dump was, but it was clear he was outside the margins of his competency for that job and would be run by others.

Comment

Comment

While powerful rhetoric it isn't true. Nixon, Reagan, and both Bushes ran highly exclusionary and divisive campaigns and administrations. The racism of the Republican party has been a brutal fact for 50 years.
                  Cornell University
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

This is probably the easiest campaign Biden has ever run
                    Uncle Mickey: July 23, 1950-July 22, 2003

WRPI, 91.5 FM...usually color commentary.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                      Lalalala if I don't hear you it doesn't jinx it lalalala!

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by jericho View Post
                        And yet there's still a substantial chance he could blow it.

Comment

• Originally posted by French Rage View Post
                          Lalalala if I don't hear you it doesn't jinx it lalalala!
                          “Shutou...” <SLAP!!!> Ouch!!! Dammit!!!
                          Dave
                          RIT - '90

Comment

I'm looking forward to Biden, Harris, AOC, and Omar* breaking the streak between now and 2052.

* We'll have amended before then.

In all seriousness, is this the longest we have gone without a president dying in office? It's been 57 years.

Edit:

1841 (since 1789 -- 52 years)
                            1850 (9)
                            1865 (15)
                            1881 (16)
                            1901 (20)
                            1923 (22)
                            1945 (22)
                            1963 (18)

Yes, this is the longest we have gone without a sitting president dying.
                            A buddy and I were talking about that last night, but not just dying. Dying of natural causes.
                            Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                            Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                              A buddy and I were talking about that last night, but not just dying. Dying of natural causes.
                              Interestingly we just passed the natural causes record, too. It's been 75 years. The prior record was 73.

1850 (9)
                              1923 (73)
                              1945 (22)

The chance is certainly not trivial that the winner of the 2020 election will die of natural causes before his term ends.

I wonder who the highest ranking American politician is to die in an accident? Wellstone, I guess.
                              Last edited by Kepler; 06-05-2020, 09:52 PM.
                              Cornell University

Comment

Interestingly we just passed the natural causes record, too. It's been 75 years. The prior record was 73.

1850 (9)
                                1923 (73)
                                1945 (22)

The chance is certainly not trivial that the winner of the 2020 election will die of natural causes before his term ends.
                                Clinton and Obama were anomalies, it seems like. And before you say "Democrat," look at who were the two leading candidates going into this year.

Unfortunately, I think we're due for something like this, especially with added media scrutiny in the past 20 years thanks to news channels and social media.
                                Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                                Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Working...
                                X