Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
    Not an ECAC guy but despite the elusive national title (the fact that it's elusive for such a "young" program is impressive), QU is a better, more consistent program than Yale and Union.
    Looking at the last decade (2009-2010 through 2018-2019 seasons), I would agree that QU has been a better more consistent program than Yale. However, based on the numbers, it would appear Union was a slightly better and equally consistent program than QU.

Quinnipiac in the 2010s
    8 20+ win seasons
    4 ECAC Regular Season Titles
    1 ECAC Tournament Title
    5 NCAA Tournament Appearances
    2 NCAA Frozen Four Appearances
    0 NCAA National Championships
    230-124-46 (0.633)

Union in the 2010s
    8 20+ win seasons
    3 ECAC Tournament Titles
    1 NCAA National Championship
    225-119-48 (0.635)

Yale in the 2010s
    3 20+ win seasons
    1 ECAC Regular Season Title
    1 ECAC Tournament Title
    1 NCAA Frozen Four Appearance
    184-120-33 (0.595)
    North Dakota
    National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

A thread about an upstart program that actually wants to help grow the sport, despite some naïveté, turning into a ****ing match between fans of other unrelated programs is about the most USCHO thing ever.

Personally I hope Alaska schedules these guys. The travel would be way easier than most of the existing WCHA destinations.
      “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
        Looking at the last decade (2009-2010 through 2018-2019 seasons), I would agree that QU has been a better more consistent program than Yale. However, based on the numbers, it would appear Union was a slightly better and equally consistent program than QU.

Quinnipiac in the 2010s
        8 20+ win seasons
        1 ECAC Tournament Title
        0 NCAA National Championships
        230-124-46 (0.633)

Union in the 2010s
        8 20+ win seasons
        3 ECAC Tournament Titles
        225-119-48 (0.635)

Yale in the 2010s
        3 20+ win seasons
        1 ECAC Regular Season Title
        1 ECAC Tournament Title
        1 NCAA Frozen Four Appearance
        184-120-33 (0.595)
        I was also taking into consideration that both Union and Yale have really taken a downturn in recent years but point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
          A thread about an upstart program that actually wants to help grow the sport, despite some naïveté, turning into a ****ing match between fans of other unrelated programs is about the most USCHO thing ever.

Personally I hope Alaska schedules these guys. The travel would be way easier than most of the existing WCHA destinations.
          So you went from shaking your head about something...to doing it in the next two sentences.

Comment

Originally posted by Squarebanks View Post
            Who's your 6th conference mate? UAA, UA_, UAH, ASU, LIU, ___.

The Great West Conference ghost will live through the New-New-WCHA!!
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by John J. MacInnes View Post
              So you went from shaking your head about something...to doing it in the next two sentences.
              Lol...touché.

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              Who's your 6th conference mate? UAA, UA_, UAH, ASU, LIU, ___.

The Great West Conference ghost will live through the New-New-WCHA!!
              UNLV. We’ll be the anti-bus league.

Hey, stranger things have happened.
              “We offer no apology for our location at 64 51’21’’ north latitude. We are building for the future and we are confident that well directed effort and education are the forces which make progress possible”

—UA President Charles E. Bunnell, 1925

Comment

From a tweet from LIU women's coach Rob Morgan: "With all the men’s D1 Transfers & Shelved D1 prospects reaching out to me, I could have a competitive team signed by next week. Can’t wait for our new coach to be named! #LIU #MensHockey proving the cynics wrong!"

I DO think that a lot of guys that aren't getting the minutes they'd hoped for at wherever they are might make the jump, especially if the coach was the right guy.

Morgan, to his credit, put together a team that won their conference in their inaugural year, and managed to get Wisconsin, at home, on his schedule. He has an ECAC background, which I would imagine they'd use to try and get some teams on the schedule.

Comment

Is Morgan being considered for the men's job?

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
                    From a tweet from LIU women's coach Rob Morgan: "With all the men’s D1 Transfers & Shelved D1 prospects reaching out to me, I could have a competitive team signed by next week. Can’t wait for our new coach to be named! #LIU #MensHockey proving the cynics wrong!"

I DO think that a lot of guys that aren't getting the minutes they'd hoped for at wherever they are might make the jump, especially if the coach was the right guy.

Morgan, to his credit, put together a team that won their conference in their inaugural year, and managed to get Wisconsin, at home, on his schedule. He has an ECAC background, which I would imagine they'd use to try and get some teams on the schedule.
                    "I could have a competitive team signed by next week." Competitive with who? If they want to play a bunch of D3 schools while being D1 in name only (SHU and HC did it for years on the women's side), then I can believe it. If they want to be a real D1 program then I think that statement is delusional.

Note that the model they seem to be using, limited budget in a community use rink, no longer exists in D1 hockey. The AHA, which originated with that model at many schools and is their closest potential D1 competition, has upgraded to a full load of scholarships and programs have either moved to professional quality public buildings or built their own rink.
                    Last edited by rpi82; 05-04-2020, 08:45 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                      "I could have a competitive team signed by next week." Competitive with who? If they want to play a bunch of D3 schools while being D1 in name only (SHU and HC did it for years on the women's side), then I can believe it. If they want to be a real D1 program then I think that statement is delusional.

Note that the model they seem to be using, limited budget in a community use rink, no longer exists in D1 hockey. The AHA, which originated with that model at many schools and is their closest potential D1 competition, has upgraded to a full load of scholarships and programs have either moved to professional quality public buildings or built their own rink.
                      Some of their own rinks are still trash....Holy Cross is awful, AIC plays games in an 8k seat arena with 300 people in it, Niagara and Mercyhurst facilities aren't the best either.
                      Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Obviously year 1 will be a bunch of DI ACHA, CIS, D3 on the schedule.

The Nassau Coliseum will be virtually vacant in two years and DESPERATE for absolutely anything. They're not going to get 12k in there, but they aren't going to get 300 either. Nassau County isn't Springfield, Mass.

And the Northwell Center is honestly the best you're ever going to get from a public rink. I'd take the facilities at Northwell over a whole bunch of the on campus rinks at a lot of schools in the northeast. It's not a long-term solution, and it's going to require a move to somewhere, but it's a fine starting point. I have a good feeling it'll be ahead of a bunch of the ECAC and AHA schools this year, assuming people are let in the doors.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
                          Obviously year 1 will be a bunch of DI ACHA, CIS, D3 on the schedule.

The Nassau Coliseum will be virtually vacant in two years and DESPERATE for absolutely anything. They're not going to get 12k in there, but they aren't going to get 300 either. Nassau County isn't Springfield, Mass.

And the Northwell Center is honestly the best you're ever going to get from a public rink. I'd take the facilities at Northwell over a whole bunch of the on campus rinks at a lot of schools in the northeast. It's not a long-term solution, and it's going to require a move to somewhere, but it's a fine starting point. I have a good feeling it'll be ahead of a bunch of the ECAC and AHA schools this year, assuming people are let in the doors.
                          These guys aren't going to be renting the Coliseum with their D1 on the cheap plan. We don't even know if they will rent Northwell.

"Nassau County isn't Springfield Mass." True, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Most teams that draw well do so because of an affinity for the school (often because it is State U or due to a long athletic history) or because the games are a big event in their market even if it is small. LIU Brooklyn drew 828 fans per game to its pre-eminent sport, men's basketball, three years ago (most recent data I could find quickly) so affinity to the schooit's athletics isn't high. Combined with the tremendous number of activities in the urban/near suburban Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau market, it's expensive and very difficult to get attention. Markets like Albany, Burlington. Bangor, etc. that "aren't Nassau" can get TV news coverage of college or minor league games. They are a big deal in those areas. That is not likely in a market with 3 NHL and 2 NBA teams. In Portland they cover the G-League Red Claws in what is one step above a warehouse and people go to the games. In Nassau the LI Nets get no attention and play before dozens of fans at the Coliseum. Bigger is not necessarily better.
                          Last edited by rpi82; 05-05-2020, 07:18 AM.

Comment

Once upon a time, a small upstart program hired a guy from Brooklyn who took them to their first NCAA championship. If there was ever a college job to see Frank Anzalone return, LIU might just be it.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                              Some of their own rinks are still trash....Holy Cross is awful, AIC plays games in an 8k seat arena with 300 people in it, Niagara and Mercyhurst facilities aren't the best either.
                              I believe trash is "Gawbage" in Longilandese.
                              Last edited by Yuppie Scum; 05-05-2020, 09:54 AM.

Comment

These guys aren't going to be renting the Coliseum with their D1 on the cheap plan. We don't even know if they will rent Northwell.

"Nassau County isn't Springfield Mass." True, but that's not necessarily a good thing. Most teams that draw well do so because of an affinity for the school (often because it is State U or due to a long athletic history) or because the games are a big event in their market even if it is small. LIU Brooklyn drew 828 fans per game to its pre-eminent sport, men's basketball, three years ago (most recent data I could find quickly) so affinity to the schooit's athletics isn't high. Combined with the tremendous number of activities in the urban/near suburban Brooklyn, Queens and Nassau market, it's expensive and very difficult to get attention. Markets like Albany, Burlington. Bangor, etc. that "aren't Nassau" can get TV news coverage of college or minor league games. They are a big deal in those areas. That is not likely in a market with 3 NHL and 2 NBA teams. In Portland they cover the G-League Red Claws in what is one step above a warehouse and people go to the games. In Nassau the LI Nets get no attention and play before dozens of fans at the Coliseum. Bigger is not necessarily better.
                                No, they definitely aren't going to the Coliseum now, at least while the Islanders are there. Once they're gone? If this builds the right way, they absolutely can.

Comparing LIU's basketball program, which plays in a tiny gym in Brooklyn, to their hockey attendance on LI doesn't show anything. Hofstra basketball, which is across the street from the Coliseum and a mile from the Northwell Center, drew 2,800+ a game this year, and that's a program that hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 2001 before this year. LIU football, in their first year in DI, with only three home games and an 0-10 record, still drew several thousand a game. This is with basically zero local coverage.

Long Islanders don't have an affinity for any school around here, really. What you DO have is a lot of people with kids that play hockey that would happily take them to a college game. You have a LOT of Rangers fans with kids that live on Long Island that can't drop $500 a game on Rangers tickets, plus the railroad and all that, at least not on the regular, and aren't taking their family to an Islanders game.

And looking at the LI Nets is useless. Long Island has never been a basketball location. That's why the Nets moved to NJ to begin with.

Comment

Working...
                                X