LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Welcome, LIU! Even if it’s a surprise, it’s nice to see the sport grow. It shows other mid-size or smaller non-power conference schools that it can be done.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
      "the big fish" implies that they are dominant (or "consistently dominant" as another poster claimed) and there isn't really a case for that.
      We've enjoyed better than average success in the ECAC since joining. I think that justifies my "big fish" comment. Sorry if that ruffled your feathers...
      Quinnipiac Bobcats
      2023 National Champions
      ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
      ECAC Tournament Champions: 2016
      East Regional: 2013 (Champions), 2014, 2016 (Champions), 2023 (Champions), 2024
      Northeast Regional:
      West Regional: 2015, 2021
      Midwest Regional: 2019, 2022
      Frozen Four: 2013, 2016, 2023 (Champions)

Pass complete. Lipkin has a man in front! Shot... SCORE!!!

Comment

Originally posted by MarkEagleUSA View Post
        We've enjoyed better than average success in the ECAC since joining. I think that justifies my "big fish" comment. Sorry if that ruffled your feathers...
        I have no feathers to ruffle and you really missed the point. There's a big difference between "better than average success" (I went beyond that to say you've regularly been one of the best teams, hence "consistently one of the bigger fish") and claiming to be THE big fish, which implies being clearly above all others. That is not justified.
        Last edited by rpi82; 05-02-2020, 02:12 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by lakersparty View Post
          Welcome, LIU! Even if it’s a surprise, it’s nice to see the sport grow. It shows other mid-size or smaller non-power conference schools that it can be done.
          Only if they are successful. Announcing an underfunded program with no rink, no coach and no players for immediate competition may not be the best model.
          Last edited by rpi82; 05-02-2020, 02:09 PM.

Comment

I have no feathers to ruffle and you really missed the point. There's a big difference between "better than average success" (I went beyond that to say you've regularly been one of the best teams, hence "consistently one of the bigger fish") and claiming to be THE big fish, which implies being clearly above all others. That is not justified.
            Really?

Pretty sure we want to remain a big fish in a small pond for the foreseeable future.

Is that better?
            Quinnipiac Bobcats
            2023 National Champions
            ECAC Regular Season Champions: 2012-13, 2014-15, 2015-16, 2018-19, 2020-21, 2021-22, 2022-23, 2023-24
            Northeast Regional:

Comment

Really?

Pretty sure we want to remain a big fish in a small pond for the foreseeable future.

Is that better?
              It's better, although my characterization (consistently one of the better teams) is most accurate. If you don't see how arrogant it is to declare yourself the king of the hill with one league championship in your pocket I don't know what to tell you. Having attended about 25 or so games at People's/TD/Banknorth (virtually every RPI or Cornell plus a few others), it's an attitude I've heard before.
              Last edited by rpi82; 05-02-2020, 06:25 PM.

Comment

It's better although my characterization (consistently one of the better teams) is most accurate. If you don't see how arrogant it is to declare yourself the king of the hill with one league championship in your pocket I don't know what to tell you. Having attended about 25 or so games at People's/TD/Banknorth, it's an attitude I've heard before.
                I wasn't trying to be arrogant and I'm not really sure why you're making a big deal out of this. I was simply pointing out the QU seems content with where they are in the ECAC at this point in time.
                Quinnipiac Bobcats
                2023 National Champions
                Northeast Regional:

Comment

I wasn't trying to be arrogant and I'm not really sure why you're making a big deal out of this. I was simply pointing out the QU seems content with where they are in the ECAC at this point in time.
                  Just clarifying what seems to be a dubious claim. As for your main point, it's consistent with what I've heard although I have no connections into the inner workings of QU. If you do, perhaps you could pitch my fantasy (and probably economically unworkable) project, which would make the Q's campus world famous. If they could acquire any intervening air rights (it's mostly woods they may already own) and build a gondola connecting York Hill to the main campus, it would be featured in every discussion of the most beautiful college campuses, reduce the number of carbon emitting bus and car runs and provide a more integrated feel between the two. I mentioned it once to an admissions rep and she just chuckled. That's probably the right response, but if you want to dream big......
                  Last edited by rpi82; 05-02-2020, 07:47 PM.

Comment

If you do, perhaps you could pitch my fantasy (and probably economically unworkable) project, which would make the Q's campus world famous. If they could acquire any intervening air rights (it's mostly woods they may already own) and build a gondola connecting York Hill to the main campus, it would be featured in every discussion of the most beautiful college campuses, reduce the number of carbon emitting bus and car runs and provide a more integrated feel between the two.
                    Sorry to burst your bubble but I've been trying to push that idea since the day I stepped on York Hill! I agree that it would definitely set QU apart from pack. I've also suggested that visiting teams be required to walk up to the rink...
                    Quinnipiac Bobcats
                    2023 National Champions
                    Northeast Regional:

Comment

Sorry to burst your bubble but I've been trying to push that idea since the day I stepped on York Hill! I agree that it would definitely set QU apart from pack. I've also suggested that visiting teams be required to walk up to the rink...
                      You might want to be careful with that recommendation. I went to RPI and Cornell and both have hilltop campuses that can match York Hill for a workout. My first year in Ithaca I lived downtown and was in the best shape of my life from going up that hill every day. It's not "Far above Cayuga's waters" for nothing. Now add in a fully loaded equipment bag for a real pre-game workout.

Comment

You might want to be careful with that recommendation. I went to RPI and Cornell and both have hilltop campuses that can match York Hill for a workout. My first year in Ithaca I lived downtown and was in the best shape of my life from going up that hill every day. It's not "Far above Cayuga's waters" for nothing. Now add in a fully loaded equipment bag for a real pre-game workout.
                        You may be on to something here. Boston College has a huge climb up from Conte as well although they have somewhat alleviated it with a much better stairway with places to stop and by building on the side of the hill and you can take an elevator halfway up by going through the building. But if hills meant championships (BC, Cornell and RPI) then why hasn't Colgate won one yet?

Comment

Really?

Is that better?
                          If Q-PAC is a big fish, Cornell and the 2013 and 2014 National Champions must be whales.

Comment

Originally posted by BC/HE View Post
                            You may be on to something here. Boston College has a huge climb up from Conte as well although they have somewhat alleviated it with a much better stairway with places to stop and by building on the side of the hill and you can take an elevator halfway up by going through the building. But if hills meant championships (BC, Cornell and RPI) then why hasn't Colgate won one yet?
                            MarkEagleUSA wanted to require opposing team buses to unload pre-game at the base of the winding driveway that ascends to Quinnipia's York Hill Campus and Peoples United Bank Center. That strategy might work for RPI and Cornell too, but Colgate's rink is at the bottom of their hillside campus. Making the visitors go down the hill might not be so debilitating.
                            Last edited by rpi82; 05-03-2020, 10:19 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by altazo View Post
                              If Q-PAC is a big fish, Cornell and the 2013 and 2014 National Champions must be whales.
                              Not an ECAC guy but despite the elusive national title (the fact that it's elusive for such a "young" program is impressive), QU is a better, more consistent program than Yale and Union.

Comment

MarkEagleUSA wanted to require opposing team buses to unload pre-game at the base of the winding driveway that ascends to Quinnipia's York Hill Campus and Peoples United Bank Center. That strategy might work for RPI and Cornell too, but Colgate's rink is at the bottom of their hillside campus. Making the visitors go down the hill might not be so debilitating.
                                And, as you know, RPI's rink is further uphill than the main campus.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X