Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
    Got to wonder if Hockey East would be interested in a New York team...
    Never say never but AFAIK, HEA has always lusted after Syracuse and Rhode Island.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
      But what about the huge donor??? Must be funded by that big money maker known as LIU athletics! What's the next talking point?
      I’m going to guess that not needing a brand-new arena saves about $50-100M off of the funding requirements.
      If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Well I applaud them for evaluating other options and seeing a path forward. Both Atlantic Hockey and Hockey East have 11 teams so this is a welcome addition. One more needed to round out the Eastern leagues.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
          LIU is an odd operation in that it has two campuses 25 miles apart. The original LIU is in Brooklyn while LIU Post (the former CW Post University) is in suburban Brookville. They used to run separate athletic departments in different divisions (LIU Post was DII and LIU Brooklyn DI). They've combined their athletic departments in DI as the Sharks. Interestingly, most of the sports, including all of the outdoor ones, seem to operate out of the much smaller Post campus. Only basketball and Volleyball seem to be in Brooklyn. Since the women played in Syosset, just a few miles from Brookville, I assume that will be the primary host campus for the men as well. The Syosset rink (former practice home of the Islanders) and another nearby one in Hicksville don't have DI level seating (less than 1,000). The only logical facility would be the curent Islanders practice facility right near the Nassau Coliseum (not sure of capacity but it's at least 2x larger), which is less than 10 miles from Post but about 25 from Brooklyn and a nightmare on the roads from 3 to 8 during any non-Coronavirus commute. Interestingly, with the Islanders moving to Belmont next year (if COVID-19 construction delays don't extend too much longer), the future of the Coliseum is up in the air so it might be available for an occasional special game, but it's much too big to be a regular home.

Edit: There is an ice rink at Floyd Bennett Field on the other side of Brooklyn, but it's not close to the LIU Brooklyn campus and it would be marginal at best in terms of seating capacity. No choices really seem optimal for starting a new program, particularly in this risk climate, so I'm really surprised they are doing it.
          LIU used to include Southampton College, originally standalone until bought out by LIU. They also had their own DII athletic department, but that campus was shutdown years ago.

(My sister was a student athletic trainer for CW Post when they were independent.)
          Russell Jaslow
          [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
          U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Now that the initial surprise has worn off, a few factors that don't seem to pass the "make sense" test:

--The fact that absolutely nobody, especially those with deep ties to the college hockey world, seem to have had an inkling that this was coming. There are military secrets that have been less secret.
            --The seeming impossibility of starting up so soon with no coaches, staff, players, or even a schedule in place.
            --The fact that apparently nobody in the D1 coaching universe seems to know anything about this (per Mike McMahon).
            --The online "questionnaire" that prospective student athletes are invited to send. That's not the way players in any sport are recruited, especially at the D1 level.
            --No mention of where the funding is coming from at a time when both public and private universities are taking deep financial hits due to the ongoing public health emergency.

I absolutely hope this happens but at second glance, taking the LIU announcement at face value just doesn't seem to compute.
            Last edited by Split-N; 05-01-2020, 08:54 AM.
            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

Maybe they meant D2 or D3?

I admit when I first saw this thread I thought it was from April 1st.

Comment

That didn't take long. A fan of the new fly-by-night LIU program already thinks they're too good for the AHA.

https://***********/TL2119/status/12...478879234?s=19

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  Maybe they meant D2 or D3?

I admit when I first saw this thread I thought it was from April 1st.
                  I waited until I saw a few tweets from NCAA hockey writers before I started the thread. My initial reaction was they must mean ACHA D-1.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                    Still holding out hope for the Northeast 10 playup. Bring us up to… 67?
                    I cannot see that ever happening. I can only speak to the NH schools, but there isn't much money to be had right now.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                      Got to wonder if Hockey East would be interested in a New York team...
                      Originally posted by Middle Street View Post
                      I waited until I saw a few tweets from NCAA hockey writers before I started the thread. My initial reaction was they must mean ACHA D-1.
                      Thing is, they have a women's team in NCAA D-1. So I would hope that that kind of mistake wouldn't make it thru the PR team, the AD, etc..

Comment

Originally posted by Split-N View Post
                        Now that the initial surprise has worn off, a few factors that don't seem to pass the "make sense" test:

--The fact that absolutely nobody, especially those with deep ties to the college hockey world, seem to have had an inkling that this was coming. There are military secrets that have been less secret.
                        --The seeming impossibility of starting up so soon with no coaches, staff, players, or even a schedule in place.
                        --The fact that apparently nobody in the D1 coaching universe seems to know anything about this (per Mike McMahon).
                        --The online "questionnaire" that prospective student athletes are invited to send. That's not the way players in any sport are recruited, especially at the D1 level.
                        --No mention of where the funding is coming from at a time when both public and private universities are taking deep financial hits due to the ongoing public health emergency.

I absolutely hope this happens but at second glance, taking the LIU announcement at face value just doesn't seem to compute.
                        LIU also went about it quietly when they added women's hockey. Back in December 2017 Grant Salzano wrote an article about LIU Post listing for a women's head coaching position. Then in June 2018 Adam Woden tweeted "I got confirmation that LIU-Brooklyn is adding a D-I Women's hockey program for 2019-20 and is looking for a head coach - but has not publicized this fact, and doesn't plan to. Which is really weird IMO." The school appears to keep a low athletic profile and get things done instead of making grand pronouncements and getting nothing done (Illinois).

Sean
                        Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
                        Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
                        BU Hockey highlights and extras
                        NCAA Hockey Financials
                        Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
                        I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Is there any chance that this team is going to be playing in the Northeast-10 with LIU's women's conference mates?

Comment

Originally posted by AMC View Post
                            Is there any chance that this team is going to be playing in the Northeast-10 with LIU's women's conference mates?
                            They announced a DI team. Only Sacred Heart has a DI men's program. If there were to elevate all those other programs, it would be a surprise to me. There has been no word of that - and with the current economic restrictions in place on these schools it would seem highly unlikely.

Comment

Originally posted by SNHUPenman View Post
                              I cannot see that ever happening. I can only speak to the NH schools, but there isn't much money to be had right now.
                              What money do they need? Short of the NCAA forcing them to have scholarships (which they didn’t do to the early days of the AHA/MAAC), what new expenses would they have?
                              If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

What about the possibility that QU becomes the 12th HEA school as has been rumored on several occasions and LIU replaces them in the ECAC? I know nothing about LIU's academics but geographically they would be a better fit for PU than QU has been. Just a thought, not based upon the slightest knowledge.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X