LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

With all the uncertainty surrounding the Alaska schools and Alabama Huntsville, this is a very welcome surprise.

The fact that they had a women’s team maybe should’ve put them on our radar, but did any of us even have these guys on our list of possibilities?
    If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
      According to USCHO, their women's team plays at Islanders IceWorks, the Islanders' practice facility in Syosset. I don't know what capacity is.

Powers &8^]
      Looking around on the internet a bit, the Northwell Ice Center is about 7 miles from their campus, and from photos I see, looks like it conceivably hold around 1500-2000 in one rink. Seating goal to goal on both sides with one side showing about 12-14 rows of seats.

Comment

I can't wait to take a road trip to "Lawn Guy Land"
        It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

Still holding out hope for the Northeast 10 playup. Bring us up to… 67?
          If you want to be a BADGER, just come along with me

BRING BACK PAT RICHTER!!!

At his graduation ceremony from the U of Minnesota, my cousin got a keychain. When asked what UW gave her for graduation, my sister said, "A degree from a University that matters."

Canned music is a pathetic waste of your time.

Comment

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
            With all the uncertainty surrounding the Alaska schools and Alabama Huntsville, this is a very welcome surprise.

The fact that they had a women’s team maybe should’ve put them on our radar, but did any of us even have these guys on our list of possibilities?
            Today was the first I heard of it
            Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

Originally posted by icehawk View Post
              Today was the first I heard of it
              Same here. Same with a lot of people in the game I’ve chatted with.
              "The use of common sense and logic will not be tolerated and may result in fine and/or suspension."- Western Professional Hockey League By-laws. 1999-2000.

Comment

Originally posted by UAHStatman View Post
                Stunned, to be honest. This fall? THIS fall?
                C'mon now, it's literally the first sentence of the press release.
                "...competition slated to begin in 2020-21"

But seriously I know a new conference that is starting up that year that just luuuuuuuves to take long road trips... Looks like a perfect match.
                Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                Originally posted by geezer
                Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                Originally posted by manurespreader
                ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Got to wonder if Hockey East would be interested in a New York team...
                  Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    I can't wait to take a road trip to "Lawn Guy Land"
                    Strong-island

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                    I feel like they should do their time as an indie or in one of the creampuff conferences before making the leap to HEA.

Comment

Many good recruits from the Long Island area recently. AHA would be perfect fit.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                        In a word... "no." As in "no" way teams from Hockey East are going to put up with busing all the way down to Long Island.
                        You must not have heard the huge collective sign of relief from all the teams when Notre Dame dropped out of Hockey East.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          In a word... "no." As in "no" way teams from Hockey East are going to put up with busing all the way down to Long Island.
                          You must not have heard the huge collective sign of relief from all the teams when Notre Dame dropped out of Hockey East.
                          They could use one of the ferries to avoid NYC.
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

LIU is an odd operation in that it has two campuses 25 miles apart. The original LIU is in Brooklyn while LIU Post (the former CW Post University) is in suburban Brookville. They used to run separate athletic departments in different divisions (LIU Post was DII and LIU Brooklyn DI). They've combined their athletic departments in DI as the Sharks. Interestingly, most of the sports, including all of the outdoor ones, seem to operate out of the much smaller Post campus. Only basketball and Volleyball seem to be in Brooklyn. Since the women played in Syosset, just a few miles from Brookville, I assume that will be the primary host campus for the men as well. The Syosset rink (former practice home of the Islanders) and another nearby one in Hicksville don't have DI level seating (less than 1,000). The only logical facility would be the curent Islanders practice facility right near the Nassau Coliseum (not sure of capacity but it's at least 2x larger), which is less than 10 miles from Post but about 25 from Brooklyn and a nightmare on the roads from 3 to 8 during any non-Coronavirus commute. Interestingly, with the Islanders moving to Belmont next year (if COVID-19 construction delays don't extend too much longer), the future of the Coliseum is up in the air so it might be available for an occasional special game, but it's much too big to be a regular home.

Edit: There is an ice rink at Floyd Bennett Field on the other side of Brooklyn, but it's not close to the LIU Brooklyn campus and it would be marginal at best in terms of seating capacity. No choices really seem optimal for starting a new program, particularly in this risk climate, so I'm really surprised they are doing it.
                            Last edited by rpi82; 05-01-2020, 02:47 AM.

Comment

"No one else is adding hockey anytime soon blah, blah, blah!!!"

At least a few a-holes here anyway.

Originally posted by ExileOnDaytonStreet View Post
                              THis comment got me curious and upon looking I counted 6 additional schools with women's Div I hockey but no means team?
                              Last edited by Slap Shot; 05-01-2020, 02:54 AM.

Comment

But what about the huge donor??? Must be funded by that big money maker known as LIU athletics! What's the next talking point?

Comment

Working...
                                X