LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

That’s great news about LIU. Looking forward to having them part of college hockey.

Comment

Is it ok to feel somewhat optimistic now about LIU?

Comment

Originally posted by turk181 View Post
          I wonder how many of these kids will last four years. I'm sure there are going to be a few D-III level players that make this year's roster, but 2-3 years from now find themselves getting cut when the team actually recruits D-I quality players beyond getting a call from the kid, looking at their stats and saying yes. I can't imagine much more than that is going into building this year's team. It's not like the coach they signed last week is watching them on the ice, unless he talked to them at Colgate.
          Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
          https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
          Originally posted by geezer
          Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
          Originally posted by manurespreader
          ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
            I wonder how many of these kids will last four years. I'm sure there are going to be a few D-III level players that make this year's roster, but 2-3 years from now find themselves getting cut when the team actually recruits D-I quality players beyond getting a call from the kid, looking at their stats and saying yes. I can't imagine much more than that is going into building this year's team. It's not like the coach they signed last week is watching them on the ice, unless he talked to them at Colgate.
            While Riley may not have seen every one of them keep in mind he has a vast network of “eyes” throughout Prep & Jr hockey. His 1st year as HC of Albany Academy, NY he was getting kids from as far away as Cali. Your point about the D1 caliber kids choosing LIU in 2-3 years could be a valid one.
            Brandon Pirri: Turk would give it to Jagr. That's awesome! Jagr's untouchable. And he would give it to Jagr.

Comment

Forgive my ignorance here- Nolan McElhaney is transferring in from UNH. He didn't play a game last year while he was recovering from an ACL injury. So he wouldn't have to sit out a year, correct?

Comment

• Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
                Forgive my ignorance here- Nolan McElhaney is transferring in from UNH. He didn't play a game last year while he was recovering from an ACL injury. So he wouldn't have to sit out a year, correct?
                I believe this is correct. He has yet to appear in a NCAA game.

Comment

Add Mitch Meek coming in as a grad transfer from Mich Tech. Sounds like he may have been on a bit of a down turn with some post-concussion stuff the last few years. Played in 43 games his first year, but then had 0 points in 18 games combined his last two seasons. But, he's an older guy (23) who at least has played a bit, so some good vet leadership for what looks like a very young team.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
                    Add Mitch Meek coming in as a grad transfer from Mich Tech. Sounds like he may have been on a bit of a down turn with some post-concussion stuff the last few years. Played in 43 games his first year, but then had 0 points in 18 games combined his last two seasons. But, he's an older guy (23) who at least has played a bit, so some good vet leadership for what looks like a very young team.
                    Mitch should be a good player for LIU. When he played for Tech, he played well. He is the type of player I would target if I were starting a new program. Solid on ice skills and someone you don't have to worry about off ice.

Comment

• Up to 13 players now, 9F 4D. Still no goalie- going to give up a whole lot of goals without one.

Comment

• Well goalie is the one place you could actually be picky, even for the situation LIU is currently in now. You really only need two (maybe a third willing to redshirt) and finding the right one could be the difference between an ok first season and a zero win first season. There are far more goalies than D-I opportunities available and who you put in net will have a huge impact on your inaugural season.
                        Preserving Michigan Tech's Hockey History
                        https://www.johnsonsjerseys.net
                        Originally posted by geezer
                        Tech has the best of everything, even the best jersey nerd.
                        Originally posted by manurespreader
                        ...I really enjoyed listening to Ryan Johnson. He sounded intelligent.

Comment

• Originally posted by JohnsonsJerseys View Post
                          Well goalie is the one place you could actually be picky, even for the situation LIU is currently in now. You really only need two (maybe a third willing to redshirt) and finding the right one could be the difference between an ok first season and a zero win first season. There are far more goalies than D-I opportunities available and who you put in net will have a huge impact on your inaugural season.
                          https://twitter.com/MarkDivver/statu...68792531992579
                          BU goalie Vinnie Purpura headed to LIU. Maine's Stephen Mundinger of Smithtown, Long Island, joining Sharks as grad transfer
                          sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

• 6' 6" and 6' 8" inches respectivley,sure they have the right sport??

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                              6' 6" and 6' 8" inches respectivley,sure they have the right sport??
                              They both played last year for their respective schools. How do they avoid sitting a year? Mundinger had one good year in a tier 3 league?

Comment

• Originally posted by woodenskates View Post

They both played last year for their respective schools. How do they avoid sitting a year? Mundinger had one good year in a tier 3 league?
                                Mundinger is a grad transfer. So he definitely can play.
                                sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Working...
                                X