Page 8 of 8 FirstFirst 12345678

Thread: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

https://www.espn.com/college-sports/...od-now-july-31

So does this mean there is a dead period now for hockey as well? So this guy can't even reach out to prospective high school players until August?

Curious how many of the recruits he had going to Colgate will follow him to LI.

Quote Originally Posted by HofstraHockey View Post

So does this mean there is a dead period now for hockey as well? So this guy can't even reach out to prospective high school players until August?

Curious how many of the recruits he had going to Colgate will follow him to LI.
    I believe electronic recruiting contacts are still allowed, just no in person visits to or by the recruit. He's probably going to put together his first class via Zoom.

I will be surprised if any recruits follow him to LI as they've all signed Colgate LOIs by now. However, I suppose it's possible that there might be a player recruited with a partial ride (or even a walk-on) that would ask for a release to take a bigger scholarship at LIU - although I've yet to hear the LIU AD confirm what, if any, level of scholarships they will offer. Otherwise, why would one turn down a chance to play in an established program/league at a quality school in a beautiful facility for the complete unknown that is LIU hockey?

Quote Originally Posted by HofstraHockey View Post

So does this mean there is a dead period now for hockey as well? So this guy can't even reach out to prospective high school players until August?.
    I think the recruiting ban is limited to in-person visits to campuses or coach-in-home visits for obvious reasons. I would be stunned if coaches were not permitted any electronic or phone contact with prospective athletes.

AZ desert in the winter, MN lake in the summer
    Quote Originally Posted by Split-N View Post
    There are always young turks looking to get a foothold in the D1 hockey world any way they can. Billy Riley (an uncle?) took UMass Lowell from obscurity to a force to be reckoned with. See also Army hockey, where successive generations of Rileys somehow squeezed blood out of a stone (recruiting-wise) more often than not.
    Excellent point!

All Hail

Quote Originally Posted by Sol Diablo View Post
    Excellent point!
    Forgot to add that Jack Riley also coached the US to a gold medal at the 1960 Winter Olympics. An upset for the ages that almost equals the 1980 gold medal but has since faded into history.
    "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Thread Information