Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
    The key point being "Dr. J was gone" -- they stunk, and lost their top attraction.

But that's not the reason they left for the Meadowlands. Like I said - Jets left too - and if you say Queens/LI is not a "football area" - you are clearly absurd.
    The Jets left because Shea was not, at all, a football stadium, and Hess tried to pull a Walter O'Malley, only with NJ as the threat to Koch instead of California to Robert Moses.

As far as ripping the Coliseum down, I wouldn't expect it. If Byrne/Continetal is still standing (and it is), the Coliseum isn't going anywhere. How it's going to survive financially, nobody knows. ESPECIALLY if the arena in Ronkonkoma gets built and gets an ECHL team there.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
      Anyone who snears at D-3 should look again ... some of the top level D-3 teams (Norwich, Trinity, Hobart, Utica
      Oswego, Geneseo, Plattsburgh, Middlebury) would be more than competitive in the AHA, and many of them play in beautiful facilities and draw crowds that put most AHA rinks to shame.
      As a fan of a team that made the transition between divisions... "more than competitive" is more than a slight exaggeration.

As for crowds, I'd have to see the numbers on that.

Powers &8^]

Comment

Originally posted by LtPowers View Post
        As a fan of a team that made the transition between divisions... "more than competitive" is more than a slight exaggeration.

As for crowds, I'd have to see the numbers on that.

Powers &8^]
        https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendance/division-i-men/
        https://www.uscho.com/stats/attendan...ision-iii-men/

3,394 >>>> 638

Say Utica is exaggerating. Let's say it's 50% what they claim. 1,697 is still more than Niagra, Bentley, AIC, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, RMU and Canisius all claim to draw. If Utica isn't? Add in the other four.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post

3,394 >>>> 638

Say Utica is exaggerating. Let's say it's 50% what they claim. 1,697 is still more than Niagra, Bentley, AIC, Sacred Heart, Holy Cross, RMU and Canisius all claim to draw. If Utica isn't? Add in the other four.
          I don't think Utica is exaggerating.

https://www.facebook.com/ucmenshocke...6370823587205/
          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

As far as crowds go...I talked with and have met many Oswego players parents,many have said that one big reason they went to Oswego instead of some other D1 teams that recruited them is that the crowds at Oswego are Large and into the game,they didn't want friends and family only night ,every night at some of the lower end D1 schools,after that who knows??...p.s. checkout a Youtude video of whiteout Weekend in Oswego,I have been to many,and as a former player would have loved to play in a WW,and we had great crowds as well when I played.
            Last edited by bakdraft21; 05-07-2020, 07:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              As far as crowds go...I talked with and have met many Oswego players parents,many have said that one big reason they went to Oswego instead of some other D1 teams that recruited them is that the crowds at Oswego are Large and into the game,they didn't want friends and family only night ,every night at some of the lower end D1 schools,after that who knows??...p.s. checkout a Youtude video of whiteout Weekend in Oswego,I have been to many,and as a former player would have loved to play in a WW,and we had great crowds as well when I played.
              You had Romney. You can't complain.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

ESPECIALLY if the arena in Ronkonkoma gets built and gets an ECHL team there.
                Wait, what?! Seriously? Where?

Bring back the Long Island Ducks! Long live the Commack Arena.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  You had Romney. You can't complain.
                  Yes and the ZOO was great,our crowds were 2nd to none...I remember coming in as a soph transfer and the crowd was yelling so loud I couldn't understand what they were saying ,turns out one side of the rink was yelling Tastes great and the other side replied less filing,funny stuff...

Comment

3,394 >>>> 638

Sure, but Utica is a bizarre outlier. =)

Thanks for the numbers. I admit I didn't realize Niagara's attendance had fallen so far. I knew AIC and Sacred Heart have long drawn poorly, but while they've improved a bit, other AHA teams have gotten worse (along with many other D-I schools).

Powers &8^]

Comment

• Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

https://arenadigest.com/2019/12/18/second-extension-granted-for-ronkonkoma-vision-project-developers/

Many locals see this as what Stony Brook is waiting on to become DI. While LIU may be able to get by with the Northwell Center, nothing even close to that exists out east.

With the Islanders moving another 30 min or so further from Suffolk, there may be a good market out there for hockey fans. If the Islanders were to move their AHL affiliate to LI, it would probably make more sense to have it out there as to not cannibalize their Nassau fans. But if not, Stony Brook could find a nice soft spot there. And a LIU/Stony Brook rivalry could be fun.

Comment

• Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
                        Honestly, if you're a borderline player, especially one that lives in NY, I could easily see picking Oswego over Niagra or Canisius. In-state tuition may be less than the small partial scholarship you might get (especially once the in-state free tuition rolls around), the crowds, the minutes, the ability to play more as a freshman. I totally get it. If you figure it out and are THAT good a few years in, some bigger DI schools will come knocking.

Let's see what Sacred Heart and a few others do now that they're starting to pick up some steam and are no longer just bottom feeders. If LIU pulls a rabbit out in a few years and is able to attract some local talent, they COULD be poised to raise the standard of the league (assuming that's where they end up).

Comment

Honestly, if you're a borderline player, especially one that lives in NY, I could easily see picking Oswego over Niagra or Canisius. In-state tuition may be less than the small partial scholarship you might get (especially once the in-state free tuition rolls around), the crowds, the minutes, the ability to play more as a freshman. I totally get it. If you figure it out and are THAT good a few years in, some bigger DI schools will come knocking.

Let's see what Sacred Heart and a few others do now that they're starting to pick up some steam and are no longer just bottom feeders. If LIU pulls a rabbit out in a few years and is able to attract some local talent, they COULD be poised to raise the standard of the league (assuming that's where they end up).
                          "If you figure it out and are THAT good a few years in, some bigger DI schools will come knocking. " Can you cite any recent examples where that has actually happened? Perhaps they exist, but they would be few and far between. On the more highly ranked D3 team rosters I see numerous examples of players dropping down from D1, with the AHA being by far the biggest source among the eastern schools. I'm most familiar with ECAC rosters and I can't remember the last time I saw a transfer from a D3 school that actually played (I vaguely recall a practice goalie a number of years back but can't remember the details). I'd be shocked if there were actual examples of such players transferring from D3 to "bigger D1 schools" (which I would interpret to be traditional powers). Undergrad transfers in college hockey generally go down the totem pole (big boys to lower D1, particularly the AHA, and lower D1 to D3) in pursuit of playing time. Most of the exceptions recently are grad transfers going up the stack, but even then I don't remember any from D3 to D1.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                            "If you figure it out and are THAT good a few years in, some bigger DI schools will come knocking. " Can you cite any recent examples where that has actually happened? Perhaps they exist, but they would be few and far between. On the more highly ranked D3 team rosters I see numerous examples of players dropping down from D1, with the AHA being by far the biggest source among the eastern schools. I'm most familiar with ECAC rosters and I can't remember the last time I saw a transfer from a D3 school that actually played (I vaguely recall a practice goalie a number of years back but can't remember the details). I'd be shocked if there were actual examples of such players transferring from D3 to "bigger D1 schools" (which I would interpret to be traditional powers). Undergrad transfers in college hockey generally go down the totem pole (big boys to lower D1, particularly the AHA, and lower D1 to D3) in pursuit of playing time. Most of the exceptions recently are grad transfers going up the stack, but even then I don't remember any from D3 to D1.
                            Jack Billings says "hello":

https://www.eliteprospects.com/playe.../jack-billings

But you are correct, it is exceedingly rare.

Comment

Originally posted by rpi82 View Post
                              Under current rules, one can transfer from DI to DIII and not sit out a year, but a transfer in the other direction must sit out.
                              sigpic

Let's Go 'Tute!

Maxed out at 2,147,483,647 at 10:00 AM EDT 9/17/07.

2012 Poser Of The Year

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post

Played my first game there ..1971

Comment

Working...
                                X