Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

The Red Flags

Number one issue has to be the coaching budget. Multiple coaches have already declined the head coaching job since last Thursday, most citing that their salaries would be too low compared to other D1 coaches. Even if a coach accepts the job, he is going to be given the burden of trying to recruit an entire hockey team by August before training seems a lofty goal.

https://thehockeywriters.com/long-is...ockey-program/
    Fly Eagles Fly!!!

Comment

[QUOTE=rpi82;694556. Competitive with who? If they want to play a bunch of D3 schools while being D1 in name only (SHU and HC did it for years on the women's side), then I can believe it. If they want to be a real D1 program then I think that statement is delusional. [/QUOTE]

Anyone who snears at D-3 should look again ... some of the top level D-3 teams (Norwich, Trinity, Hobart, Utica
      Oswego, Geneseo, Plattsburgh, Middlebury) would be more than competitive in the AHA, and many of them play in beautiful facilities and draw crowds that put most AHA rinks to shame.
      Last edited by PuckVoice; 05-05-2020, 02:55 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HofstraHockey View Post
        And looking at the LI Nets is useless. Long Island has never been a basketball location. That's why the Nets moved to NJ to begin with.
        That is just straight up false. That's like saying the reason the Jets moved to the Meadowlands is because Queens was never a football location. LOL

Comment

Have not followed the entire thread but there is also a rink in Hicksville that has been around since I played which is many moons ago.It is Cantiague in Hicksville,the Islanders practiced there for many yrs and it can hold a good amount of people,with a little reconfiguration,could be a decent fit for the near future...Best of luck to them..

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyFanClub View Post
            That is just straight up false. That's like saying the reason the Jets moved to the Meadowlands is because Queens was never a football location. LOL
            The attendance was horrendous on LI once they went to the NBA and Dr J was gone. They averaged under 7,800 in '77. They weren't going to pay the Knicks another $4mil unless they had to, which I guess they did.

Comment

Originally posted by bakdraft21 View Post
              Have not followed the entire thread but there is also a rink in Hicksville that has been around since I played which is many moons ago.It is Cantiague in Hicksville,the Islanders practiced there for many yrs and it can hold a good amount of people,with a little reconfiguration,could be a decent fit for the near future...Best of luck to them..
              Hicksville? I thought that’s where all of us WCHA teams played.

Comment

Originally posted by purpleinnebraska View Post
                Hicksville? I thought that’s where all of us WCHA teams played.
                There are "Hicksville" all over this great country of ours

Comment

From a tweet from LIU women's coach Rob Morgan: "With all the men’s D1 Transfers & Shelved D1 prospects reaching out to me, I could have a competitive team signed by next week. Can’t wait for our new coach to be named! #LIU #MensHockey proving the cynics wrong!"

Competitive with intramural leagues at other D1 colleges?
                  I like chocolate milk and Kate Beckinsale and Lauren Graham and Brooke Burke and Elisha Cuthbert and Eva Longoria.

Fighting Sioux Hockey

Comment

No, they definitely aren't going to the Coliseum now, at least while the Islanders are there. Once they're gone? If this builds the right way, they absolutely can.
                    I don't have time to address all of your points, but let's look at this fantasy. I can only think of 2 teams that play in comparable buildings to the Coliseum (AKA NYCB Live), Wisconsin and Ohio State. Both are on campus facilities at massive state universities with big time athletic and marketing departments in college oriented markets (yes, Columbus has the Blue Jackets but its still tOSU's town), tremendous fan attachment with State U. and established multi-sport Big 10 rivalries. By contrast LIU Post is about ten miles away with approx. 2,500 students, no fan attachment among the local citizenry, no marketing presence in a professional sports dominated market and no league or recognizeable rivals. I don't know what the plan is for the survival of the Coliseum post-Islanders (if there is one), but if they need LIU hockey to do it then they might as well begin planning demolition now.

Comment

• Re: LIU adds Men's D-1 Hockey

Some of you are taking this announcement the same way as if they had insulted your mother. Good grief.

Comment

Originally posted by PuckVoice View Post
                        Anyone who snears at D-3 should look again ... some of the top level D-3 teams (Norwich, Trinity, Hobart, Utica
                        Oswego, Geneseo, Plattsburgh, Middlebury) would be more than competitive in the AHA, and many of them play in beautiful facilities and draw crowds that put most AHA rinks to shame.
                        No one said that there aren't some fine D3 programs and facilities - and far be it for me to justify why some AHA teams continue to sponsor D1 programs (including a full load of scholarships) given their level of fan support. In the old days when there was more cross-over some of the D2 and D3 schools used to play a few games against D1 and, although the higher level programs generally won, upsets did happen. I remember seeing Oswego and Lowell (then D2) win such games. I suspect we might see the same today if cross-over was more common. However, even a D3 power such as Norwich doesn't play a schedule comparable to the AHA programs. It's still quite fair to say that a D1 school that plays a significant percentage of its games against D3 schools would be D1 in name only. That was the point.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          Some of you are taking this announcement the same way as if they had insulted your mother. Good grief.
                          No, just offering different opinions on the significance of this annoucement and how it may impact the future of college hockey.

Comment

...Hofstra basketball, which is across the street from the Coliseum and a mile from the Northwell Center, drew 2,800+ a game this year, and that's a program that hadn't made the NCAA tournament since 2001 before this year...
                            Hofstra has a pretty good hoops rivalry going with Northeastern; in fact, Hofstra punched its dance ticket this year at NU's expense. Would be great if that rivalry could carry over to hockey. But that would seem to be in the realm of fantasy at this point.
                            "Through the years, we ever will acclaim........"

Comment

I'm sticking with the UC Irvine Anteaters for the next NCAA hockey team......

"UC Irvine Anteaters
                              There have long been rumors, even before Arizona State became the first Pac-12 team to adopt an NCAA Division I ice hockey team, that the Pac-12 would be the perfect hockey conference.

However, recent developments make UC Irvine, who competes in the Big West Conference, a theoretically strong contender to be the first California team to field a varsity hockey program. It all has to do with ice access and the cost of running college hockey programs.

In an interview for The New York Times, former USA Hockey Executive Director Dave Ogrean said it outright.

“Obviously, it costs a lot of money,” he said. “That’s why you’re never going to have an explosion in the number of programs.”

(From: ‘College Hockey Has a Talent Glut, but Nowhere to Grow‘ The New York Times – 3/27/17).
                              From the cost of possibly having to build and operate a hockey arena to funding a corresponding women’s program or another women’s sport as a result of Title IX, starting a hockey program is one of the costlier college sports that an athletic department undertakes.

Offsetting those costs, and even making a profit, is dependent on a lot of things, including how competitive the team is and how easy it is for students and fans to access the games.

An NHL Neighbor
                              That’s what gives UCI a clear advantage. Though they only recently restarted their club hockey team, UCI has a potential partnership with the newly built Great Park Ice & FivePoint arena.

The arena is a mere nine miles from the UCI campus, can hold 2,500 spectators and has technological features like a video scoreboard that would fit a college program perfectly. That would put it between Ewigleben Arena, home of the Ferris State University hockey team, and Cadet Ice Arena, home of the Air Force Academy hockey team, in terms of spectator capacity.

It is the perfect arena for college hockey.

The arena’s proximity to the campus makes it easier for students to attend games and more likely that the team will bring in ticket revenue. Even though the rink isn’t on campus, a benefit many current NCAA College programs have, it’s not prohibitively far away.

There’s also the option to retrofit the Bren Events Center, UCI’s basketball and volleyball stadium, for ice."

Comment

The attendance was horrendous on LI once they went to the NBA and Dr J was gone. They averaged under 7,800 in '77. They weren't going to pay the Knicks another $4mil unless they had to, which I guess they did.
                                The key point being "Dr. J was gone" -- they stunk, and lost their top attraction.

But that's not the reason they left for the Meadowlands. Like I said - Jets left too - and if you say Queens/LI is not a "football area" - you are clearly absurd.

Comment

Working...
                                X