No announcement yet.

Will there be hockey in the fall? Will we have to wait until after Jan 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Will there be hockey in the fall? Will we have to wait until after Jan 1

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
    It was an article written by a scientist in Tel Aviv. The premise was that it doesnt matter if you have Stay at Home orders like most US states, or less strict guidelines as in Sweden. I personally think we need the social distancing measures most are taking until testing at a greater rate is available.

The article basically said either way the cycle lasts about 70 days. The problem I see is that without the Stay at Home orders, the cases skyrocket during those 70 days.

I'll post a link if I can find it.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk
    Thanks. I'll look forward to it.

Can you describe the 70 day cycle, however briefly?
    if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
      Thanks. I'll look forward to it.

Can you describe the 70 day cycle, however briefly?
      If I remember correctly, he just stated that it's about a 70 day cycle that peaks at about 40 days. This link is not the original article I saw but you'll get the idea. Like I stated earlier, I don't agree with his assertion that shutting things down doesn't help enough to warrant economic effects. In my opinion, the economy will come back but it's a fact 41,000+ Americans won't come back.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/top-is...after-70-days/

Comment

If I remember correctly, he just stated that it's about a 70 day cycle that peaks at about 40 days. This link is not the original article I saw but you'll get the idea. Like I stated earlier, I don't agree with his assertion that shutting things down doesn't help enough to warrant economic effects. In my opinion, the economy will come back but it's a fact 41,000+ Americans won't come back.

https://www.timesofisrael.com/top-is...after-70-days/

Interesting, but haven't we passed the 70 day window already?
        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Interesting, but haven't we passed the 70 day window already?
          That's my point. Without strict adherence to CDC guidelines we are having multiple 70-day cycles. I think he was more saying that whether you flatten the curve or not, it's a 70-day curve. That's ok when everyone that will get infected is on the same curve. The problem with his assertion that it will run its course in 70 days is that a lot of people are still contracting the virus well into the cycle and starting it over again.

Then we have those #Covidiots down in Lansing and other capitols that will probably knock us right back to day 1.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
            Your missing my point, other schools don't count on football rev to fund there other sports. So if college hockey return on Jan 1, im wondering if the Big Ten schools will be able to fund the sport? if no football
            I guess in that case the B1G schools will just have to defect spend on athletics like almost every other college athletic department does.

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            Hockey is not on the teat like underwater basket weaving. Football is number one, basketball number two. Hockey or baseball do just fine as stand alone enterprises depending on where you're at.
            Not really, as most lose money on hockey. Only 4 had earned profits while 25 had earned losses. And while I didn't breakdown baseball for the hockey schools, looking at Texas Tech's 2018 NCAA financial report the school reported losing $2.6 million on baseball, while Arkansas reported losing $621 thousand on baseball on its 2018 financial report.

Originally posted by devildog View Post
            How can they not make money on Basketball and Hockey?
            And with all the money they have made over the years on football, how can they be in a situation where they don't have reserve cash? It's not like they have to pay their players.
            Athletic departments generally don't make money, but lose it. Ohio State, one of the few that usually does turn a profit (but not last year), some of the profit is returned to the school and some goes into an athletic reserve fund. However, the OSU reserve fund only had $8.9 million in it as of mid-February. With an overall budget of over $210 million that won't go far next year. You can read more about the OSU athletic budget in this USA Today article.

Please define "do just fine". How can baseball be a self-sustaining sport? What is the source of the revenue?
            My NCAA Hockey Financials spreadsheet breaks down publicly available information for public (using NCAA financial reports) and private (using EADA reports) schools that have DI hockey programs. I breakout all the information for both the hockey programs and the overall athletic departments. If you look at the Yearly Overall tab you can see how much each school's athletic department reported in revenue and expenses and their overall and earned profit and losses. I have compiled the numbers for 2010 through 2018 and I'm just starting to work on the 2019 numbers (I don't have the latest OSU report from which numbers are reported in the above mentioned USA Today article). In general college athletics are large money drains.

Sean
            Women's Hockey East Champions 2015, 2014, 2013, 2012, 2010
            Men's NCAA Champions 2009, 1995, 1978, 1972, 1971

BU Hockey Games
            BU Hockey highlights and extras
            NCAA Hockey Financials
            Women's Division I Longest Hockey Games
            I need a kidney; looking for a donor

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
              Not really, as most lose money on hockey. Only 4 had earned profits while 25 had earned losses. And while I didn't breakdown baseball for the hockey schools, looking at Texas Tech's 2018 NCAA financial report the school reported losing $2.6 million on baseball, while Arkansas reported losing $621 thousand on baseball on its 2018 financial report.
              Accounting is wacky for NCAA sports... If you don't think UND hockey as a standalone business would be profitable (they have an avg loss on the second tab of your spreadsheet) I have some bad news for you.

Comment

That's my point. Without strict adherence to CDC guidelines we are having multiple 70-day cycles. I think he was more saying that whether you flatten the curve or not, it's a 70-day curve. That's ok when everyone that will get infected is on the same curve. The problem with his assertion that it will run its course in 70 days is that a lot of people are still contracting the virus well into the cycle and starting it over again.

Then we have those #Covidiots down in Lansing and other capitols that will probably knock us right back to day 1.

One article from Tel Aviv? Well, that settles it

Comment

I'm talking about baseball at southern schools where it's a huge deal. Hockey at a place like Minnesota.
                  There is no way that any program turns a profit on hockey or baseball.

Comment

lol

Comment

lol
                      18 scholarships @ $60K $1,080,000 in the hole before you buy a single puck.

Comment

If there is no football, sure you lose revenue but you also save on travel costs, hotels etc.

Comment

LSU turns a profit for baseball as they average over 11k tickets sold a game! They are about the only one though..

https://lsusports.net/sports/2019/7/11/208527960.aspx
                          Yes I am the former member known as Zlax45

Comment

Originally posted by Sean Pickett View Post
                            Athletic departments generally don't make money, but lose it. Ohio State, one of the few that usually does turn a profit (but not last year), some of the profit is returned to the school and some goes into an athletic reserve fund. However, the OSU reserve fund only had $8.9 million in it as of mid-February.
                            Minnesota (2019) generally breaks even but yeah their margins are not robust. However, if they (and similar programs) take a hit for one season most will survive.

Comment

Originally posted by The Zlax45 View Post
                              LSU turns a profit for baseball as they average over 11k tickets sold a game! They are about the only one though..

https://lsusports.net/sports/2019/7/11/208527960.aspx
                              What are the expenses, though? 70 games a year will bring in a lot of fans, but it also means a lot of stays in hotels and travel expenses.

Comment

Michigan, Ohio state, Notre Dame fund there entire athletic budget from football. If there is no football, there is no money. The Millions$ that these schools bring in will make it impossible to fund all of there remaining sports.
                                To your point, the Notre Dame athletic director was on ESPN radio this morning and said very clearly, if there are no students on campus in the fall, there will be no fall sports. He also said that ND football contributes about 90% of the overall revenues...
                                ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Working...
                                X