Will there be hockey in the fall? Will we have to wait until after Jan 1

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Will there be hockey in the fall? Will we have to wait until after Jan 1

Some schools right now are planning on no students on campus until 2nd semester. I have heard BU is potentially planning on that, I'm sure they are not alone. No students means no hockey.

Re: Will there be hockey in the fall? Will we have to wait until after Jan 1

Probably better to say "planning for".

I believe there will not be hockey in its usual form starting in the fall. Whether that means games being played in front of empty arenas or no games at all, TBD.

Comment

I am optimistic that we will see hockey before 1 January. From what I've read, the virus has basically a 70-day cycle. If society can work together enough to end this cycle and prevent another one from exploding, we can hopefully get enough testing done that allows a return to the lifestyle we enjoy. If we hastily let our guard down in the quest for the almighty dollar, we will be screwed for a long time. The economy will come back. 41,000+ Americans (and 1500+ Canadians) will not come back.

Sent from my SM-G960U using Tapatalk

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post
        I am optimistic that we will see hockey before 1 January. From what I've read, the virus has basically a 70-day cycle. If society can work together enough to end this cycle and prevent another one from exploding, we can hopefully get enough testing done that allows a return to the lifestyle we enjoy. If we hastily let our guard down in the quest for the almighty dollar, we will be screwed for a long time. The economy will come back. 41,000+ Americans (and 1500+ Canadians) will not come back.

If there is no fall sports there will be no Big Ten hockey next year. BC could be in trouble, any school with a div 1A football team.

Comment

Originally posted by JerryP66 View Post
          If there is no fall sports there will be no Big Ten hockey next year. BC could be in trouble, any school with a div 1A football team.
          Huh?

Comment

Originally posted by Bonin21 View Post
            Huh?
            Michigan, Ohio state, Notre Dame fund there entire athletic budget from football. If there is no football, there is no money. The Millions$ that these schools bring in will make it impossible to fund all of there remaining sports.

Comment

If the Big Ten doesn't play no one is gonna play.

Comment

If the Big Ten doesn't play no one is gonna play.
                Your missing my point, other schools don't count on football rev to fund there other sports. So if college hockey return on Jan 1, im wondering if the Big Ten schools will be able to fund the sport? if no football

Comment

Some schools right now are planning on no students on campus until 2nd semester. I have heard BU is potentially planning on that, I'm sure they are not alone. No students means no hockey.
                  My daughter is a HS senior and has missed so much this year. Certainly, she is not alone, but to follow this senior year up with her fall freshman semester still at home? Gosh, this is brutal on so many fronts. I saw an article today that predicts many college athletic departments cutting non-revenue sports, especially if football goes down.
                  “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                  – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                  when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Your missing my point, other schools don't count on football rev to fund there other sports. So if college hockey return on Jan 1, im wondering if the Big Ten schools will be able to fund the sport? if no football
                    Hockey is not on the teat like underwater basket weaving. Football is number one, basketball number two. Hockey or baseball do just fine as stand alone enterprises depending on where you're at.

Comment

Michigan, Ohio state, Notre Dame fund there entire athletic budget from football. If there is no football, there is no money. The Millions$ that these schools bring in will make it impossible to fund all of there remaining sports.
                      How can they not make money on Basketball and Hockey?
                      And with all the money they have made over the years on football, how can they be in a situation where they don't have reserve cash? It's not like they have to pay their players.
                      “They are a **** site better than the U.S. Army, at least we know that they will be there in the morning.”
                      – Lewis B. Chesty Puller
                      when a journalist asked him about being surrounded by 22. enemy divisions

Comment

Hockey is not on the teat like underwater basket weaving. Football is number one, basketball number two. Hockey or baseball do just fine as stand alone enterprises depending on where you're at.
                        Please define "do just fine". How can baseball be a self-sustaining sport? What is the source of the revenue?
                        if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                          Please define "do just fine". How can baseball be a self-sustaining sport? What is the source of the revenue?
                          I'm talking about baseball at southern schools where it's a huge deal. Hockey at a place like Minnesota.

Comment

Originally posted by MTUHuskies View Post

What is your source on the 70 day cycle? Yours is the first reference to it, I've seen. Can you provide more detail, or point me to a source?
                            if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                              What is your source on the 70 day cycle? Yours is the first reference to it, I've seen. Can you provide more detail, or point me to a source?
                              It was an article written by a scientist in Tel Aviv. The premise was that it doesnt matter if you have Stay at Home orders like most US states, or less strict guidelines as in Sweden. I personally think we need the social distancing measures most are taking until testing at a greater rate is available.

The article basically said either way the cycle lasts about 70 days. The problem I see is that without the Stay at Home orders, the cases skyrocket during those 70 days.

I'll post a link if I can find it.

Comment

Working...
                              X