Apollo 13 - 50 years on.

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Apollo 13 - 50 years on.

In the same vein as what we got to participate with last summer, a realtime tracker for Apollo 13 went live a few days ago and we are already eight hours from the launch of Apollo 13, 50 years ago.

We are a day and a half from the problem.

https://apolloinrealtime.org/13/
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Re: Apollo 13 - 50 years on.

three and a half hours from the explosion.

Under three hours until their last live broadcast that was 'as exciting as taking a bus trip to Cleveland.'

Skimmed through the transcript, trying to find some of the lighthearted banter:

011:20:19 Brand Okay. Looking at our computations back here, we show you about 55,450 [nautical miles, 102,690 km] and going out rapidly now.
    011:20:33 Lovell Well, HAL might be a little bit off.
    011:20:36 Brand Okay.
    011:20:37 Swigert We have a sign underneath our LEB DSKY that 'my name is HAL.'
    011:20:45 Brand I can't imagine how that got there. Just remember, you have to be nice to HAL.
    011:20:56 Swigert We will.
    024:18:10 Kerwin Okay. Some truck lines are being struck in the Midwest, and the school teachers have walked off the job in Minneapolis. Today's favorite pastime across the - Uh oh; have you guys completed your income tax?
    024:18:28 Lovell How do I apply for an extension?
    024:18:31 Kerwin [Laughter]
    024:18:32 Swigert Yeah, Joe. I got to - hey, listen - It ain't too funny; things kind of happened real fast down there, and I do need an extension.
    024:18:43 Kerwin [Laughter]
    024:18:44 Swigert I didn't get mine filed. I'm really serious; would you -
    024:18:47 Kerwin You're breaking up the room down here.
    024:18:49 Swigert - because I may be spending time in a -
    024:18:51 Kerwin We'll see -
    024:18:52 Swigert I may be spending time in a - I may be spending time in another quarantine besides the one that they are planning for me.
    024:18:59 Kerwin We'll see what we can do, Jack. We'll get with Recovery and see if we can get the agent out there in the Pacific when you come back.
    024:20:06 Lovell Houston, this is 13. Is it true that Jack's income tax return was going to be used to buy the ascent fuel for the LM?
    024:20:18 Kerwin Well, considering that he's a bachelor and hasn't got that deduction to take, yeah!
    024:20:29 Swigert Hey, Joe. I'm glad you brought that up, because I was really serious about that.
    024:20:36 Kerwin Okay, Jack. We'll - We'll - we'll take care of it. Tom Stafford says he'll get an extension for you.
    024:20:43 Swigert Okay.
    024:20:50 Kerwin And Jim McDivitt says, "yeah, now that you mention it, he forgot to fill the ascent stage.
    024:21:00 Lovell [Laughter] Suspicions confirmed.
    027:59:54 Lovell Just a passing comment, Joe. We're having lunch right now, and I just made myself a hotdog sandwich with ketchup. Very tasty and almost unheard of in the old days.
    028:00:07 Kerwin That's correct, 13. As I recall the Flight Plan, you're supposed to put mustard on the hot dogs and not ketchup, but I guess we'll overlook that.
    028:00:18 Swigert We blew it.
    029:30:36 Brand And the last item's for Jack. Jack, preliminary indications are that you can get a 60-day extension on your - filing your income tax if you're out of the country.
    029:30:54 Swigert That's good news. I guess I qualify.
    029:31:00 Brand Yeah, we were just looking at the map, and you're south of Florida so you're not in the country now. But we wondered how about your car tags. Have you taken care of those?
    029:31:20 Swigert Yeah, I did, as a matter of fact. I think I did.
    029:31:28 Haise Known as, 'plan ahead.'
    Also interesting, they performed their connection of the CM to the LM while in Earth orbit, at around the 3 hour mark, but didn't go into the LM until around the 53 hour mark, just before the TV broadcast and the fateful stirring of the O2 tanks.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

My wife and I tuned in Monday night and listened for three hours starting a few minutes before the Problem occurred. I've seen the movie and actually read the investigation report cover to cover, so was familiar with it. But hearing it occur real time was fascinating.

I checked in again last night just to make sure they made it around the moon and were on the return trajectory
      Scott Biggar
      WITR - Voice of the RIT Tigers
      Staff Writer - US College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Scott Biggar View Post
        I checked in again last night just to make sure they made it around the moon and were on the return trajectory
        Spoiler alert!
        Russell Jaslow
        [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
        U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

OK, I know it's not real, but this is as appropriate a place as possible: https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=SVBLnflYvzs

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Just watched the "problem"- just for a little while. Man, they are all so calm.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Just watched the "problem"- just for a little while. Man, they are all so calm.
              Just like ducks on the pond
              "I'm not crazy about reality, but it's still the only place to get a decent meal."
              Groucho Marx
              "You can't fix stupid. There's not a pill you can take; there's not a class you can go to. Stupid is forever. "
              Ron White
              "If we stop being offensive, the Terrorists win."
              Milo Bloom

Comment

Working...
              X