Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I think that's Scooby's point though - capitalism at least in the hands of Conservatives since Reagan - has effed over the majority and made us vulnerable. If corporations didn't run themselves in current times to serve no one but their board and shareholders, a short-term shut down shouldn't have had to have come at the expense of however many million jobs. Coupled with taxing the middle class to pay for the rich, allowing corporations to pay as little taxes as possible, and insisting we run a bloated military and here we are.
    Yeah but it isnt the Corporations that are the cause of the 17 million that are unemployed. Most of the workers out there right now are gig workers and service industry people. Unless you are saying those people might have better jobs if not for the greed of corporations and the GOP I dont see how they are relevant.

Your point isnt wrong, but even if the Dems had been in charge the past 20 years we would be right where we are right now. No matter what the economy was shutting down because of the SIP that is needed to prevent spreading. Restaurants and bars would still be closed so you would still have a glut of people all hitting unemployment at the same time. There is not much the Federal Government can do about that. The Dems wouldnt sending people any more money so it would still be up to the States to deal with the unemployment issue.

I just dont think it is as cause and effect as you and Scooby are making it. Your points are correct, but they arent as relevant to the issue as you think they are. (not yet anyways) Reaganomics isnt why people are struggling right now...it is why they are struggling most of the rest of the time though. If you and Scooby want to say "People would be in a better position to handle being laid off if not for Reaganomics" then I will agree with you. But unless I read it wrong that isnt what Scooby is saying.

YMMV though
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
      Yeah but it isnt the Corporations that are the cause of the 17 million that are unemployed. Most of the workers out there right now are gig workers and service industry people. Unless you are saying those people might have better jobs if not for the greed of corporations and the GOP I dont see how they are relevant.

Your point isnt wrong, but even if the Dems had been in charge the past 20 years we would be right where we are right now. No matter what the economy was shutting down because of the SIP that is needed to prevent spreading. Restaurants and bars would still be closed so you would still have a glut of people all hitting unemployment at the same time. There is not much the Federal Government can do about that. The Dems wouldnt sending people any more money so it would still be up to the States to deal with the unemployment issue.

I just dont think it is as cause and effect as you and Scooby are making it. Your points are correct, but they arent as relevant to the issue as you think they are. (not yet anyways) Reaganomics isnt why people are struggling right now...it is why they are struggling most of the rest of the time though. If you and Scooby want to say "People would be in a better position to handle being laid off if not for Reaganomics" then I will agree with you. But unless I read it wrong that isnt what Scooby is saying.

YMMV though
      I never said the economy wouldn't shut down if the Democrats were in charge. I said the infrastructure that was in place if Democrats were in charge would be better equipped to handle it.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

I disagree. But that is ok

(business-wise...we know we would have a Pandemic Team if the Dems were in charge)
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          I disagree. But that is ok

(business-wise...we know we would have a Pandemic Team if the Dems were in charge)
          Well, it depends on what your opinion is about the 23 trillion dollars that is missing. I have this funny thought that the surplus in Minnesota that Republicans wanted to spend so bad on hookers and blow is going to be pretty ****ing important right now.
          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
            Well, it depends on what your opinion is about the 23 trillion dollars that is missing. I have this funny thought that the surplus in Minnesota that Republicans wanted to spend so bad on hookers and blow is going to be pretty ****ing important right now.
            What surplus? It's gone.
            “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
              What surplus? It's gone.
              It would have been 1.5 billion in the hole without it, correct? That's the whole point of saving for a rainy day. This is a really really bad rainy day. We probably should have had more surplus in there and we certainly could have.

EDIT: That video was pretty ****ing depressing.
              Last edited by ScoobyDoo; 04-10-2020, 09:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                I hope you're not running into moves like this because this is one of the bigger d-bag moves I've heard about.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/tech/...ing/index.html
                So...funny timing on seeing that link. I had a Shipt order arrive just about 2 hours ago. I hit the max pre-assigned tip value, not knowing the dollar amount of the order (wife placed it), only to look after the fact and see that it equated to roughly a 9% tip. I tried to edit it after the fact to something higher, but the tip closes out immediately upon submission to Shipt. He got hosed and I feel genuinely bad about my honest mistake it.
                "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

We had something like that the first time. We couldn’t figure out how to tip on an order directly from the Target app and by the time we figured out what happened we couldn’t edit either. We felt awful. These apps need a function to add AFTER the fact.
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                    So...funny timing on seeing that link. I had a Shipt order arrive just about 2 hours ago. I hit the max pre-assigned tip value, not knowing the dollar amount of the order (wife placed it), only to look after the fact and see that it equated to roughly a 9% tip. I tried to edit it after the fact to something higher, but the tip closes out immediately upon submission to Shipt. He got hosed and I feel genuinely bad about my honest mistake it.
                    Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                    We had something like that the first time. We couldn’t figure out how to tip on an order directly from the Target app and by the time we figured out what happened we couldn’t edit either. We felt awful. These apps need a function to add AFTER the fact.
                    I've had customers give me cash after the fact if that helps you.

Today, everyone tipped. Dinner rush should be amazing tonight.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by St. Clown View Post
                      Yeah the other day we got a flier for a food delivery service called "Caviar". We used it for Mexican food, but it had a max tip value. We tried to leave some additional cash in an envelope paper clipped to our day but the deliveryperson didn't see it. Not suing them again. **** limiting what I can tip.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
                      iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
                      gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
                      Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
                      Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
                      TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
                      DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

I believe when I used Instacart it allowed you to change after the fact cause I know I changed it. I think they even prompt you after the order is marked "delivered".
                        -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                          I've had customers give me cash after the fact if that helps you.

Today, everyone tipped. Dinner rush should be amazing tonight.
                          The Shipt service prompts for a tip after delivery is complete and the person has left. If there’s a way to alter it, I haven’t found it.
                          "The party told you to reject the evidence of your eyes and ears. It was their final, most essential command." George Orwell, 1984

"One does not simply walk into Mordor. Its Black Gates are guarded by more than just Orcs. There is evil there that does not sleep, and the Great Eye is ever watchful. It is a barren wasteland, riddled with fire and ash and dust, the very air you breathe is a poisonous fume." Boromir

"Good news! We have a delivery." Professor Farnsworth

Comment

WHoa. That's a lot... An interesting point, but shocking to us midwesterners who don't pay $20 for a burger.
                            That's kinda my point -- if your burger cost $6 it's still the same amount of work for the server so they should get the same pay. It is not unusual at a cheapie cheapie place to tip more than the meal. That is as it should be.

$20 is perfect because those are the middle class food stamps the ATM dispenses. It comes outta the machine and into the wallet and then it goes on the table. Same with giving money to the homeless dude. You never miss it and he's desperate for it. And really, how often does this happen? Maybe once a week, so $1k a year. And that $1k went to people in need. I feel more than $1k good. It feels great to help, even if just a little.

When I'm rich I'll tip $100 and feel like a million bucks.

If you're economically distressed you don't do it because your family needs that money more.

I don't look down on people who don't do this but I make a point of doing it when I lunch with coworkers and invariably they make a comment and I explain. I have already seen several of my coworkers start to do the same thing.

The Revolution doesn't have to proceed with guillotines. It's just funnier that way.
                            Last edited by Kepler; 04-11-2020, 08:37 AM.
                            Cornell University
                            National Champion 1967, 1970
                            ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                            Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                              That's kinda my point -- if your burger cost $6 it's still the same amount of work for the server so they should get the same pay. It is not unusual at a cheapie cheapie place to tip more than the meal. That is as it should be.
                              What did that server do to earn $20 that the chef who actually cooked, assembled, and plated the burger didn't?
                              “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
                                What did that server do to earn $20 that the chef who actually cooked, assembled, and plated the burger didn't?
                                The chef gets paid a living wage. The server gets the absolute legal minimum.

Also, the chef is batch processing. The server is giving you personal attention.

Also, the chef has a more in demand skill and has other options if a better job comes along.

Also, the server is on their feet all day and dealing with as-shole customers who are looking for excuses not to tip because hey what did they do?
                                Cornell University
                                National Champion 1967, 1970
                                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Working...
                                X