Page 4 of 34 FirstFirst 1234567891011121314 ... LastLast

Thread: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Invictusian

Re: Business, Economics, and Taxes: Capitalism. Yay? >=(

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    I hope you're not running into moves like this because this is one of the bigger d-bag moves I've heard about.

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/09/tech/...ing/index.html

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    I would love to have you as customers. At least you would tip me well if I did well.
    There is no excuse for how some people tip. We just do it naturally and now we go way above and beyond.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Invictusian

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

NICKERSON HAS [CENSORED]

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Those people should be fired into the sun. What's wrong with them?
    I can't believe people think this is acceptable behavior. Where would they get an idea like that? It would be like not paying carpenters or electricians who did work on your hotel, to pick a completely random example.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Ooh, I get that reference.

Wait, Kep's references are from that fancy book-learning stuff. My references are a bit lower brow.

https://youtu.be/ZKO6M8heGU0?t=5510
    MST3K is higher brow than Steinbeck as far as I'm concerned.

I hated Grapes of Wrath.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Except in obvious cases, non-tippers should burn in hell.
    I'm a 20%er, and in my regular hangouts, it's usually above that, because they give me service above that. Heck, when Old Chicago was still around, I got my own TV on NFL Sundays. They got 30%.
    Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
    Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by The Rube View Post
    Except in obvious cases, non-tippers should burn in hell.
    I'm a 20%er, and in my regular hangouts, it's usually above that, because they give me service above that. Heck, when Old Chicago was still around, I got my own TV on NFL Sundays. They got 30%.
    Yes. Also: minimum of $20 no matter how much the meal costs. I could never understand how if you wait tables at a cheap place you deserve less. If anything you deserve more because they're probably short staffed and you're overextended.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    Just because you say a thing doesnt make it real. Short of having Federal Unemployment Protection there isnt much that can be done when 17 million people lose their job in 3 weeks.

I am not saying the GOP hasnt screwed up the country and economy badly...but this isnt something that would have been fixed by that reversal anyways. Capitalism is the issue here...
    I think that's Scooby's point though - capitalism at least in the hands of Conservatives since Reagan - has effed over the majority and made us vulnerable. If corporations didn't run themselves in current times to serve no one but their board and shareholders, a short-term shut down shouldn't have had to have come at the expense of however many million jobs. Coupled with taxing the middle class to pay for the rich, allowing corporations to pay as little taxes as possible, and insisting we run a bloated military and here we are.

Generic Catchy Message

And all it took was the Fed pumping (at least) 4 trillion into the markets in the last month.

rock and roller
    no man's land, between wildcat and black bear territory
    Quote Originally Posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
    That's all he cares about.

Couple hundred thousand dead? Meh! Stock market is the only priority.

Just remember. This man will let you die if it means the markets go up.

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    That's all he cares about.

Couple hundred thousand dead? Meh! Stock market is the only priority.

Just remember. This man will let you die if it means the markets go up.
    He’s not the only one. My company is pushing us all and working us hard and they’re planning on slashing tons of US jobs. Work us to the bone during pandemic and then lay off. We sat through presentation yesterday on how we still plan to grow offshore this year

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    I think that's Scooby's point though - capitalism at least in the hands of Conservatives since Reagan - has effed over the majority and made us vulnerable. If corporations didn't run themselves in current times to serve no one but their board and shareholders, a short-term shut down shouldn't have had to have come at the expense of however many million jobs. Coupled with taxing the middle class to pay for the rich, allowing corporations to pay as little taxes as possible, and insisting we run a bloated military and here we are.
    That's what I was trying to do. You do it much better. Thanks.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by French Rage View Post
    I can't believe people think this is acceptable behavior. Where would they get an idea like that? It would be like not paying carpenters or electricians who did work on your hotel, to pick a completely random example.
    I didn't say how big the rocket was
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Lucia Apologist

Yes. Also: minimum of $20 no matter how much the meal costs. I could never understand how if you wait tables at a cheap place you deserve less. If anything you deserve more because they're probably short staffed and you're overextended.
    WHoa. That's a lot... An interesting point, but shocking to us midwesterners who don't pay $20 for a burger.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Invictusian

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Yeah but it isnt the Corporations that are the cause of the 17 million that are unemployed. Most of the workers out there right now are gig workers and service industry people. Unless you are saying those people might have better jobs if not for the greed of corporations and the GOP I dont see how they are relevant.

Your point isnt wrong, but even if the Dems had been in charge the past 20 years we would be right where we are right now. No matter what the economy was shutting down because of the SIP that is needed to prevent spreading. Restaurants and bars would still be closed so you would still have a glut of people all hitting unemployment at the same time. There is not much the Federal Government can do about that. The Dems wouldnt sending people any more money so it would still be up to the States to deal with the unemployment issue.

I just dont think it is as cause and effect as you and Scooby are making it. Your points are correct, but they arent as relevant to the issue as you think they are. (not yet anyways) Reaganomics isnt why people are struggling right now...it is why they are struggling most of the rest of the time though. If you and Scooby want to say "People would be in a better position to handle being laid off if not for Reaganomics" then I will agree with you. But unless I read it wrong that isnt what Scooby is saying.

YMMV though
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Yeah but it isnt the Corporations that are the cause of the 17 million that are unemployed. Most of the workers out there right now are gig workers and service industry people. Unless you are saying those people might have better jobs if not for the greed of corporations and the GOP I dont see how they are relevant.

Your point isnt wrong, but even if the Dems had been in charge the past 20 years we would be right where we are right now. No matter what the economy was shutting down because of the SIP that is needed to prevent spreading. Restaurants and bars would still be closed so you would still have a glut of people all hitting unemployment at the same time. There is not much the Federal Government can do about that. The Dems wouldnt sending people any more money so it would still be up to the States to deal with the unemployment issue.

I just dont think it is as cause and effect as you and Scooby are making it. Your points are correct, but they arent as relevant to the issue as you think they are. (not yet anyways) Reaganomics isnt why people are struggling right now...it is why they are struggling most of the rest of the time though. If you and Scooby want to say "People would be in a better position to handle being laid off if not for Reaganomics" then I will agree with you. But unless I read it wrong that isnt what Scooby is saying.

YMMV though
    I never said the economy wouldn't shut down if the Democrats were in charge. I said the infrastructure that was in place if Democrats were in charge would be better equipped to handle it.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Invictusian

I disagree. But that is ok

(business-wise...we know we would have a Pandemic Team if the Dems were in charge)
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

I disagree. But that is ok

(business-wise...we know we would have a Pandemic Team if the Dems were in charge)
    Well, it depends on what your opinion is about the 23 trillion dollars that is missing. I have this funny thought that the surplus in Minnesota that Republicans wanted to spend so bad on hookers and blow is going to be pretty ****ing important right now.

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Well, it depends on what your opinion is about the 23 trillion dollars that is missing. I have this funny thought that the surplus in Minnesota that Republicans wanted to spend so bad on hookers and blow is going to be pretty ****ing important right now.
    What surplus? It's gone.
    “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Thread Information