Page 5 of 50 FirstFirst 123456789101112131415 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by J.D. View Post
    All I ever said was I never believed a million Americans would die nor did I think it would be remotely close to that. If the argument is well it could have happened if we did nothing, ok fine. If it took a figure like that to hammer this home to Trump so be it.
    A million people is about .3% (3/1000) of the population. If we did nothing and everyone got infected and overwhelmed the health care system, that was absolutely possible given that it appears to have a mortality rate north of there.

Re: COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

Like I said, if it took someone intelligent hammering that home to Trump to get things moving, so be it. I was never going under an assumption that we would do absolutely nothing. He certainly dragged his feet on this though. BassAle said it best.

Invictusian

And it isnt like this is over...

BTW that other thread makes me sad. Some of the people in there I used to enjoy talking too
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Math! Ick. This is a few days old but for the calculating folks- Current Figures May Underestimate COVID-19 Mortality in Symptomatic Patients from Clinical Advisor- NP/PA journal

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home...3-88975-726664

Invictusian

Quote Originally Posted by leswp1 View Post
    Math! Ick. This is a few days old but for the calculating folks- Current Figures May Underestimate COVID-19 Mortality in Symptomatic Patients from Clinical Advisor- NP/PA journal

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home...3-88975-726664

Been a while
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by rufus View Post
    Stick to the other thread. And read up on some more recent things that have been happening in Sweden.
    And get a better source than NR, which has not had any integrity since Bill croaked.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    And it isnt like this is over...

BTW that other thread makes me sad. Some of the people in there I used to enjoy talking too
    This is why we have the firm #nopolitics rule on eLynah. It's absolutely possible to have an enjoyable conversation about sports with these cretins because sports almost never exceeds their meager cognitive capabilities. Often they're ex-jocks themselves because that plays well in herpa derp families ("no son of mine is gonna be a f-ggot; here, take this football...") so they actually know what they're talking about.

Get above their mental pay grade, though, which is anything beyond 4th grade, Hannity, and the NY Post, and it's a tragic shamockery.

So engage with them over at the kids table in D-1 and ignore them here. Easy enough to take them on and off the list.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Invictusian

I dont even go to the D-1 side anymore. It stopped being fun a long time ago...

Some of the people in the other thread used to be Cafe people back before the Cafe became 90% politics.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

More information on MI's extended stay at home order. Now certain parts of large stores will be blocked off. I'm hoping I can still get school supplies and access the electronics sections at Meijer or Target.
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

I dont even go to the D-1 side anymore. It stopped being fun a long time ago...

Some of the people in the other thread used to be Cafe people back before the Cafe became 90% politics.
    D-1 used to be great for the week-long weekend series threads, but those have gone the way of corded phones. Where did guys like Happy, Gurtholfin and Dirty go? I miss reading some of Gurth's stuff.

Quote Originally Posted by burd View Post
    D-1 used to be great for the week-long weekend series threads, but those have gone the way of corded phones. Where did guys like Happy, Gurtholfin and Dirty go? I miss reading some of Gurth's stuff.
    No kidding. I donít think Iíve been in a hockey thread now for years. I donít recognize any of the posters anymore

Invictusian

Numbers as of now:

28k new cases (a few states havent reported)
    1716 new deaths (same caveat)

You know the way some are talking you would think things are dying down but they just arent yet. If Cali wasnt under control (though still will have over 20k cases tomorrow) the numbers could look even worse.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Numbers as of now:

You know the way some are talking you would think things are dying down but they just arent yet. If Cali wasnt under control (though still will have over 20k cases tomorrow) the numbers could look even worse.
    Yup. It's worth noting that the revised model that's now predicting 60K deaths here has noticeably undershot deaths over the last 3 days (basically since the model was released) in Western Europe to the tune of 30%-50%. Their assumption on how fast the curve would go down on the far side of the peak certainly seems to be faulty, as well as the how long deaths stay around the peak before even starting to tail off. Even here in the States, Cuomo has said NY will reach it's peak Sunday, while the model holds the peak is today, and the mayor of Detroit has said they haven't quite hit the peak, where the model claims Michigan's peak was yesterday/today.

If you put a gun to my head and made me choose over/under the model's prediction for the US, I'd unfortunately have to take the over without much hesitation, even if we don't do something stupid like try to open things up next month.

Numbers as of now:

I am just going by what's being reported in terms of the peak. That will vary state by state but in general the peak is near.

Internet Nutcase

My company just extended work from home mandates through the end of May. Anyone that needs to be on site is required to wear a cloth mask unless they are in their own private office (or their job requires a respirator). That includes parking lots and walkways outside. Theyíve also purchased 5,000 washable masks from LL Bean to distribute to employees to wear in public or on-site.
    Last edited by BassAle; 04-09-2020 at 07:05 PM.

Any job that can reasonably be done from home should continue that way for quite some time. Not sure what an implementation plan would look like here, that will be fascinating to see. When you get to a point where you "open things up" there are so many variables involved. Good luck trying to figure that out.

Invictusian

I am just going by what's being reported in terms of the peak. That will vary state by state but in general the peak is near.
    I wasnt talking about you...

BTW now that everyone has reported:

32k new cases
    1845 Deaths

Connecticut, Flo(R)ida, Michigan, Louisiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Mass, New Jersey and New York all over 11k new cases.
    California, Indiana, Georgia, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Flo(R)ida, Louisiana, Illinois, Mass, Michigan, New Jersey and New York all with over 40 deaths today.

Texas and Georgia crossed 10k, Connecticut will tomorrow most likely as should Washington State.
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Lucia Apologist

Any job that can reasonably be done from home should continue that way for quite some time. Not sure what an implementation plan would look like here, that will be fascinating to see. When you get to a point where you "open things up" there are so many variables involved. Good luck trying to figure that out.
    I dunno, seems pretty easy to me. A flowchart:

Are 2,000 people dying a day?
    If yes --> You're not ready
    If no --> what do the scientists say?
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

I wasnt talking about you...

BTW now that everyone has reported:

32k new cases
    1845 Deaths

Connecticut, Flo(R)ida, Michigan, Louisiana, Illinois, Pennsylvania, Mass, New Jersey and New York all over 11k new cases.
    California, Indiana, Georgia, Connecticut, Pennsylvania, Flo(R)ida, Louisiana, Illinois, Mass, Michigan, New Jersey and New York all with over 40 deaths today.

Texas and Georgia crossed 10k, Connecticut will tomorrow most likely as should Washington State.
    Texas just updated again, count up to 1872 for the day. I know they say they cycle at 00:00 GMT (8:00 EDT), but they very often continue to add small updates for another couple of hours. Wouldn't be at all surprised to see it top 1900 again. I don't call it a day until they wipe the board and start tomorrow's count.

Thread Information