Page 3 of 50 FirstFirst 12345678910111213 ... LastLast

Thread: COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Re: COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

Quote Originally Posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
    Even if the red state morons didn't do anything, thankfully the big blue states did react when they did. Imagine if NYC had Mississippi's governor. The entire country would have been ****ed because one of the larges cities didn't react. That action by Cuomo saved lives across the country. Same thing with Newsom.
    De Blasio should've acted sooner than he did to cancel events and close restaurants.

Even if the red state morons didn't do anything, thankfully the big blue states did react when they did. Imagine if NYC had Mississippi's governor. The entire country would have been ****ed because one of the larges cities didn't react. That action by Cuomo saved lives across the country. Same thing with Newsom.
    Let's be thankful that there were some red states that received the message. Certainly not enough, but some. I think Cuomo could have responded even faster, since he was slower than even some red states to close schools, non-essential businesses, etc., but he still responded and is clearly displaying leadership right now as New York continues to get pounded. Newsom gets an A. California is testing fewer people per 1M than literally every other state, but I hope it's because everyone has been chilling the f-ck inside since 3/16, and not because they're receiving far fewer testing materials than they need.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by SJHovey View Post
    Burd made a well reasoned argument awhile back, making this same point, and I get the idea. But I also think there is some danger in the "experts" and everyone else throwing around large numbers when everyone admits we really have no idea at all where the numbers are going to turn out to be, whether we act or not. Here's the danger. This time we tell everyone that if they don't act there will be millions that die, and even if we do act as many as a quarter million in this country will die.

Now, what happens if some of the recent predictions turn out to be true and maybe 60,000 die? What happens the next time? Frankly, I've been pretty impressed with the response of the country in those locations where shelter in place orders have been implemented. I think a large majority have followed the orders, and most of the people out and about are the large number of "essential" workers that every state permits.

There will be a "next time," of that everyone should be sure. How will the public respond then when Governor Walz told us that even if we do act, 20,000 Minnesotan's will die, and it turns out to be 953?

That is my concern.
    This is a good argument for not making predictions. It obviously has nothing to say about the measures adopted (and I don't think you intended it as such).

There is no point to announcing predicted numbers to the public anyway. For half the public there are only four numbers:

1 is the number of old white men in the sky who hate feminists,
    2 is the number of beers I can drink at once,
    3 is the number of girls I knocked up before dropping out of high school,
    lots hurr is the number of trucks I will own in heaven.

One conditional on your statement, though, about worrying about what people will do next time. There is a certain personality type who if you say "you could die," and they don't, then next time they will think "when somebody says 'you could die' it's hype durrrr." Those people cannot be helped and we can't craft policy with them in mind. At some point this becomes "do not drink" on bottles of bleach. You put the warning on but Darwin's gonna claim his due.
    Last edited by Kepler; 04-09-2020 at 09:08 AM.
    Cornell University
    National Champion 1967, 1970
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

This is the same yankee-doodle-dumbass that came out after Y2K. "What a nothingburger! So much fuss over nothing!"

Well, yeah, because we put in millions of man-hours to fix everything from the banks to the weight transmitters on equipment that makes adhesives for Post-Its. (They still have Y2K stickers on them. )
    Smartest guy I've ever known (a housemate at Cornell) made a killing on that. He was a brilliant physicist - he would do all his homework Sunday afternoons so he could spend the rest of the week doing research and reading physics journals, and still finished the undergrad curriculum midway through junior year, then did all the classes he needed for his PhD by the time he graduated. He stayed on for the PhD in device physics, which he finished in 3 years. After that, he was a little burned out, so he took a break and did Y2K software for banks. Some of the codes were written in languages from the 70s that weren't even in use any more, but he'd teach himself and get on with it. He said he could do for a bank by himself in 2 months what a typical company would allocate 10 programmers 6 months to complete. He made well over $1M/year during 97, 98, and 99, then went rock climbing in Tahoe for a while. Not sure what he's up to now - whatever he wants to be, obviously.
    If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

What we are doing is working, so we must stop it!

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Quote Originally Posted by MissThundercat View Post
    Good plan. Right in line with the insanity of Wisconsin's election day.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Problem solves itself.
    Cornell University
    ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
    Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

ὃ οὐ κινούμενον κινεῖ

Quote Originally Posted by Slap Shot View Post
    This is like people who want to end vaccines because "we haven't had a case in years."
    Cornell University

He fixes the cable?
    This is providing the results we want, but boy what a pain! Better go back to the drawing board...

Invictusian

Quote Originally Posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    As a lot of the governors who made the call early have said, it's better for John & Jane Q. Public to complain the gubmint overreacted when "only" a handful die, than for them to say the gubmint hung everyone out to dry after a million die. The fact they can't or refuse to comprehend basic mathematical modeling, isn't the problem of us "educated elites".
    Exactly. Basic logic at play at play here.

And people need to stop pretending we have any idea how this is going to end. We are losing 1800 people a day and most states havent even peaked on their infections yet.
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

If Only You Knew MissThundercat's Avatar

In Michigan, we get to stay home longer.

I'm already hearing "but muh FREEDOMZ!"
    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
    Patreon for exclusive writing content
    Adventures With Amber Marie

Invictusian

Quote Originally Posted by psych View Post
    Let's be thankful that there were some red states that received the message. Certainly not enough, but some. I think Cuomo could have responded even faster, since he was slower than even some red states to close schools, non-essential businesses, etc., but he still responded and is clearly displaying leadership right now as New York continues to get pounded. Newsom gets an A. California is testing fewer people per 1M than literally every other state, but I hope it's because everyone has been chilling the f-ck inside since 3/16, and not because they're receiving far fewer testing materials than they need.
    If you see traffic photos of the major freeways in LA you will definitely see no one is out and about. Pretty crazy to see especially if you have ever been stuck in Traffic there
    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Invictusian

If you believe what Right Wing Pundits and their psychos think it is more "See the numbers arent as bad as the Libs thought...OPEN NOW!"

Basically, even though they denied it was ever a problem, and even though the only stopping this from going crazy is that smart states shut down...we should open up and get a second wave (which will actually just be a continuation of the first wave" TO OWN THE FRIGGIN LIBS!

In 2 weeks we will see how many people the Wisconsin GOP screwed over and got sick...
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Quote Originally Posted by Handyman View Post
    If you believe what Right Wing Pundits and their psychos think it is more "See the numbers arent as bad as the Libs thought...OPEN NOW!"

Basically, even though they denied it was ever a problem, and even though the only stopping this from going crazy is that smart states shut down...we should open up and get a second wave (which will actually just be a continuation of the first wave" TO OWN THE FRIGGIN LIBS!

In 2 weeks we will see how many people the Wisconsin GOP screwed over and got sick...
    The US Supreme Court didn't do them any favors either.
    **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
    Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Lucia Apologist

Quote Originally Posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
    Good plan. Right in line with the insanity of Wisconsin's election day.
    Mississippi of the Midwest
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Lucia Apologist

In Michigan, we get to stay home longer.

I'm already hearing "but muh FREEDOMZ!"
    I hear the pine box industry is booming right now!
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Quote Originally Posted by SanTropez View Post
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Quote Originally Posted by bigblue_dl View Post
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Quote Originally Posted by Kepler View Post
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Unobtanium Medallion FadeToBlack&Gold's Avatar

Mississippi of the Midwest
    And Indiana is our Alabama.

Invictusian

In other news NY already reporting 799 deaths...
    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Thread Information