Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
    It IS Kansas.
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Stick to the other thread. And read up on some more recent things that have been happening in Sweden.

Here, I'll help you out.

https://time.com/5817412/sweden-coronavirus/

Sweden has a relatively high case fatality rate: as of April 8, 7.68% of the Swedes who have tested positive for COVID-19 have died of the virus. Neighboring countries, like Norway and Denmark, have case fatality rates of 1.46% and 3.85% respectively. (The U.S. case fatality rate is 3.21%.) While Sweden’s elevated case fatality rate could be a result of its low testing rates compared to its neighbors, experts say Sweden’s laissez-faire approach could also be to blame.
      At the end of March, 2,300 doctors, scientists and academics signed an open letter to the government calling for stricter measures.
      “We think there is no scientific evidence for their strategy,” says Cecilia Söderberg-Nauclér, an expert in microbial pathogenesis who signed the letter. She says the government has been reluctant to share its data with scientists, leading her to believe that the government’s strategy is “not based on evidence.”
      “If they are right and we are wrong, I will open a bottle of champagne,” Söderberg-Nauclér says. She notes that, based on the modeling she’s seen, the healthcare system in Sweden will collapse if stricter measures are not adopted immediately. “But I will not give up the fight until the government shows us evidence for their strategy.”
      Last edited by rufus; 04-09-2020, 02:26 PM.
      What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Re: COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

All I ever said was I never believed a million Americans would die nor did I think it would be remotely close to that. If the argument is well it could have happened if we did nothing, ok fine. If it took a figure like that to hammer this home to Trump so be it.

Comment

I absolutely believe if we had done nothing a million people was possible. With the measures we are taking we are adding tens of thousands of cases a day all over. California would have numbers near NY if nothing had been done.
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Are these the UNH morons you guys were talking about or some other knucks? They're pretty good for laughs, I'll say that.
            I had to remember how to put people on ignore- its been a long time since I needed it. I didn't even get past the name and the first sentence.

Originally posted by psych View Post
            Let's be thankful that there were some red states that received the message. Certainly not enough, but some. I think Cuomo could have responded even faster, since he was slower than even some red states to close schools, non-essential businesses, etc., but he still responded and is clearly displaying leadership right now as New York continues to get pounded. Newsom gets an A. California is testing fewer people per 1M than literally every other state, but I hope it's because everyone has been chilling the f-ck inside since 3/16, and not because they're receiving far fewer testing materials than they need.
            I think the complexity of variables in bigger cities/states made it much harder to give a blanket order quickly~ showing with ridiculous clarity why our current system of only the upper middle class/ rich is a foundation built on sand. The number of children at risk, who rely on programs based in schools to get food, other supports, is staggering. Then you have the issue of lack of daycare. Many families manage to make life work only through multiple, complex networks of family, friends, school. You shut everything down and that leaves them with nothing to help them. Even if the parents are willing to give everything to the kids you can't give something out of nothing. Then you have adult problems- no insurance, no pay, no transportation to get food because no pay.

This is why we should have been preparing long before it hit. It wasn't a surprise GD it. And this is why the Orange Buffoon has a lot to answer for in telling people they were over reacting. Hard to turn the aircraft carrier on a dime when the capt is trying to steer the other way.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              All I ever said was I never believed a million Americans would die nor did I think it would be remotely close to that. If the argument is well it could have happened if we did nothing, ok fine. If it took a figure like that to hammer this home to Trump so be it.
              A million people is about .3% (3/1000) of the population. If we did nothing and everyone got infected and overwhelmed the health care system, that was absolutely possible given that it appears to have a mortality rate north of there.

Comment

Like I said, if it took someone intelligent hammering that home to Trump to get things moving, so be it. I was never going under an assumption that we would do absolutely nothing. He certainly dragged his feet on this though. BassAle said it best.

Comment

And it isnt like this is over...

BTW that other thread makes me sad. Some of the people in there I used to enjoy talking too
                  "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                  -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                  -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                  -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Math! Ick. This is a few days old but for the calculating folks- Current Figures May Underestimate COVID-19 Mortality in Symptomatic Patients from Clinical Advisor- NP/PA journal

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home...3-88975-726664

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                      Math! Ick. This is a few days old but for the calculating folks- Current Figures May Underestimate COVID-19 Mortality in Symptomatic Patients from Clinical Advisor- NP/PA journal

https://www.clinicaladvisor.com/home...3-88975-726664

Been a while
                      -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        Stick to the other thread. And read up on some more recent things that have been happening in Sweden.
                        And get a better source than NR, which has not had any integrity since Bill croaked.
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          And it isnt like this is over...

BTW that other thread makes me sad. Some of the people in there I used to enjoy talking too
                          This is why we have the firm #nopolitics rule on eLynah. It's absolutely possible to have an enjoyable conversation about sports with these cretins because sports almost never exceeds their meager cognitive capabilities. Often they're ex-jocks themselves because that plays well in herpa derp families ("no son of mine is gonna be a f-ggot; here, take this football...") so they actually know what they're talking about.

Get above their mental pay grade, though, which is anything beyond 4th grade, Hannity, and the NY Post, and it's a tragic shamockery.

So engage with them over at the kids table in D-1 and ignore them here. Easy enough to take them on and off the list.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

I dont even go to the D-1 side anymore. It stopped being fun a long time ago...

Some of the people in the other thread used to be Cafe people back before the Cafe became 90% politics.
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

More information on MI's extended stay at home order. Now certain parts of large stores will be blocked off. I'm hoping I can still get school supplies and access the electronics sections at Meijer or Target.
                              Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                              "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                              Patreon for exclusive writing content
                              Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                                I dont even go to the D-1 side anymore. It stopped being fun a long time ago...

Some of the people in the other thread used to be Cafe people back before the Cafe became 90% politics.
                                D-1 used to be great for the week-long weekend series threads, but those have gone the way of corded phones. Where did guys like Happy, Gurtholfin and Dirty go? I miss reading some of Gurth's stuff.

Comment

Working...
                                X