Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Handyman View Post

Death panels are bad. Remember?
    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
      And now Pence has said they're relaxing the rules for essential workers, where if you've been exposed to an infected Covfefe-19 person, you are free to go to work as long as you don't have symptoms or a fever.
      Yup, they're adopting Brent's "ease 'em back at it" policy.
      Under the new guidelines for essential workers, the CDC recommends that exposed employees take their temperatures before their shifts, wear face masks and practice social distancing at work. They also are advised to stay home if they are ill, not share headsets or other objects used near the face and refrain from congregating in crowded break rooms.

Even the new guidelines will not be a foolproof guard against spreading infection.

Recent studies have suggested that somewhere around 10% of new infections might be sparked by contact with individuals who are infected but do not yet exhibit symptoms. Scientists say it’s also possible that some people who develop symptoms and then recover from the virus remain contagious, or that some who are infected and contagious may never develop symptoms.
      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by aparch View Post
        Great. Dumbass Rube's running our national pandemic policy.
        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
          Plus, good economy gets Donnie re-elected. Dead people don't vote.
          Cook County Illinois says "hold my Malört."
          “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
            Are these the UNH morons you guys were talking about or some other knucks? They're pretty good for laughs, I'll say that.
            Same morons, different thread.
            If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Originally posted by dontstayathome View Post
              Good lord. Testing is gonna stop this? Lol. How big of a cnn pill did you swallow ? How is test test test gonna stop anything? Ok look at the military ship. 248 tested positive. None are admitted. What did testing do? Noooooothinnnnngggggg.
              Testing and contact tracing is why South Korea did a better job than us at controlling this.

Comment

Re: COVID-19 The 7th Part: We're Gonna Be Number One Soon!

https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/polit...l-8/index.html

Not downplaying COVID at all but the 1 million American deaths I saw some people peddling at the start of all this was always ridiculous. Everyone just keep doing your part. With the expected peak arriving soon, there is hope on the horizon.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
                  https://www.cnn.com/2020/04/08/polit...l-8/index.html

Not downplaying COVID at all but the 1 million American deaths I saw some people peddling at the start of all this was always ridiculous. Everyone just keep doing your part. With the expected peak arriving soon, there is hope on the horizon.
                  So, you're saying that if social distancing and SIP orders weren't enacted quickly by almost every state, 1 million deaths was still going to be ridiculous?

Comment

So predicting 1 million deaths because we would do absolutely nothing was a smart prediction? No, we aren't THAT dumb.

Comment

So predicting 1 million deaths because we would do absolutely nothing was a smart prediction? No, we aren't THAT dumb.
                      the point of the "do nothing" prediction is to scare people into taking action

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                        I think that needs to be capitalized and bolded for people based off some of the stuff I read at the beginning. But point taken.

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                          A call center where agents sit right next to each other? How about schools? Movie theaters? Hotels? Start small where? Where do you start small, and also when knowing that the country is far from peak?
                          Movie theaters? Heck no. Hotels? Maybe (they are just like temporary apartments, you know, and there are a lot of apt buildings out there). I see how many people pass through gas stations, and yes they are essential, but do you see them wiping down everything outside (handles, keypads, etc) after every customer? Nope.

Even Walz (MN guv) and his staff are going through sector by sector now, to see if SOME things can start operating again, even with the shutdown order.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
                          Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                            Burd made a well reasoned argument awhile back, making this same point, and I get the idea. But I also think there is some danger in the "experts" and everyone else throwing around large numbers when everyone admits we really have no idea at all where the numbers are going to turn out to be, whether we act or not. Here's the danger. This time we tell everyone that if they don't act there will be millions that die, and even if we do act as many as a quarter million in this country will die.

Now, what happens if some of the recent predictions turn out to be true and maybe 60,000 die? What happens the next time? Frankly, I've been pretty impressed with the response of the country in those locations where shelter in place orders have been implemented. I think a large majority have followed the orders, and most of the people out and about are the large number of "essential" workers that every state permits.

There will be a "next time," of that everyone should be sure. How will the public respond then when Governor Walz told us that even if we do act, 20,000 Minnesotan's will die, and it turns out to be 953?

That is my concern.
                            That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              The ****? Why is that other thread and those freaks here??
                              I'm gonna guess board was a little mad that Bernie dropped out, and decided to lick his wounds and torture us by moving the thread.

Comment

Eh, I think it was perfectly reasonable, considering at the time, when there were few, if any SIP ordered, 1 million deaths was an accurate prediction, based on the models. I’m thankful most states, including mine, responded fairly quickly, within a few weeks or so of their first case, with a SIP. It hopefully means I’m less likely to receive overflow covid-19 patients at the inpatient psych hospital where I work.

Comment

Working...
                                X