Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Sunyac 20-21

Oswego-

Connor Sleeth- F- Vernon Vipers BCHL (3.5 Stars) League Rank- 55 National Rank- 249

Comment

Plattsburgh-

Paul Bryer- F- New Jersey Rockets (NCDC) / Islanders Hockey Club (NCDC) (3.25 Stars)

Comment

Potsdam-

Michael Olszewski- F- Cobourg Cougars OJHL (2.5 stars) League Rank- 64

Comment

Now I have to wonder if any teams not only in the SUNYAC but in all of D3 are scrambling to make sure all the top end recruits and/or transfers are going to be still be coming to their program with the announcement by the NCAA accepting LIU's request to have a D1 mens team.

Comment

Originally posted by dmac1103 View Post
            Now I have to wonder if any teams not only in the SUNYAC but in all of D3 are scrambling to make sure all the top end recruits and/or transfers are going to be still be coming to their program with the announcement by the NCAA accepting LIU's request to have a D1 mens team.
            Nice to see them giving it a shot, but it wont happen, not for next year at least. All D1 teams already have their schedules filled for next season, LIU doesnt even have a coach yet. And I can’t see how they would fill a competitive team this late. Its also been reported that they are way under budgeted. Makes more sense for them to play the next 2 season ACHA d1 the same way ASU did before they jumped to the d1 ranks

Comment

Originally posted by JSicedog View Post
              Nice to see them giving it a shot, but it wont happen, not for next year at least. All D1 teams already have their schedules filled for next season, LIU doesnt even have a coach yet. And I can’t see how they would fill a competitive team this late. Its also been reported that they are way under budgeted. Makes more sense for them to play the next 2 season ACHA d1 the same way ASU did before they jumped to the d1 ranks
              I just read an article from The Hockey News "Clearly the timeline is tight to get the men’s program off the ground for next season, but Martinov is upbeat. LIU sent out a questionnaire for future students who might be interested in playing for the team and got 300 responses within the first 24 hours. Martinov also had more than 100 voicemails and emails from folks inquiring about a variety of posts, from equipment manager to team doctor to assistant coach. Martinov has worked at a university with hockey programs before during his time at Notre Dame and he has already spoken with former Fighting Irish coaches Dave Poulin and Ric Schafer about his latest on-ice venture." as for funding they said this "The Sharks don’t have a deep-pocketed white knight behind them, but they do have leadership that has added 10 sports programs in the past five years, led by school president Dr. Kimberly R. Cline.

“I can’t give Dr. Kline enough credit,” Martinov said. “She has a strong interest in athletics and there are so many positives to adding more student-athletes. And we’ve got plenty of hockey fans on campus.”

They are looking at a 20 game schedule to start so it shouldn't be difficult to get a schedule as most teams would be willing to add a game or two especially if they are close or already in the area.

Comment

They are looking at a 20 game schedule to start so it shouldn't be difficult to get a schedule as most teams would be willing to add a game or two especially if they are close or already in the area.
                Even The Hockey News should know teams can’t just add games when they are already committed to their 35-game limit. And just about every team is for this upcoming season.
                Russell Jaslow
                [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
                U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                  Even The Hockey News should know teams can’t just add games when they are already committed to their 35-game limit. And just about every team is for this upcoming season.
                  Well the Athletic director, the President of LIU and the NCAA have committed them to start playing this upcoming season. The athletic director is already in talks with different leagues. So my guess quite possible the NCAA allows for a extra game or 2 to allow LIU to start play this year. It also looks like there are 2 more colleges looking to add D1 mens hockey as Navy and Illinois have also applied.

NCAA Division I men’s hockey teams are permitted to offer the equivalent of 18 scholarships and LIU will be begin building out with freshmen and transfers. “We’ll find the right level on scholarships over time,” Martinov said.

As for conference alignment, the ECAC, Atlantic Hockey Association and Hockey East could all provide the Sharks with regional competition.

“We’re in conversations with a number of conferences and we want the right fit for our program,” Martinov said. “We’re learning about them and they are learning about us.”

Comment

Well the Athletic director, the President of LIU and the NCAA have committed them to start playing this upcoming season. The athletic director is already in talks with different leagues. So my guess quite possible the NCAA allows for a extra game or 2 to allow LIU to start play this year. It also looks like there are 2 more colleges looking to add D1 mens hockey as Navy and Illinois have also applied.

NCAA Division I men’s hockey teams are permitted to offer the equivalent of 18 scholarships and LIU will be begin building out with freshmen and transfers. “We’ll find the right level on scholarships over time,” Martinov said.

As for conference alignment, the ECAC, Atlantic Hockey Association and Hockey East could all provide the Sharks with regional competition.

“We’re in conversations with a number of conferences and we want the right fit for our program,” Martinov said. “We’re learning about them and they are learning about us.”
                    Navy has been rumored to adding D1 hockey for the past 20 years. The NHL did a feasibility study on University of Illinois for a D1 program in 2017 and they havent even broken ground yet. I can promise you that this is pure optimism on LIU’s part, and they wont field a competitive team for another few years. Hockey isnt like other sports. Id be shocked if they even haven one D1 team on their schedule next year, no one will waste their time. Heck, the team they field next year would probably get trounced in the MASCAC

Comment

Well the Athletic director, the President of LIU and the NCAA have committed them to start playing this upcoming season. The athletic director is already in talks with different leagues. So my guess quite possible the NCAA allows for a extra game or 2 to allow LIU to start play this year.
                      There's no way the NCAA gives waivers out for that. They do sometimes allow games against new programs not to count against the PWR in order to encourage teams to schedule new programs without worrying about the effect on their PWR. But, they don't provide game limit extensions outside of the usual -- one exhibiton game, against Alaska schools, special "pre-season" tournaments, one foreign trip every four years. LIU is going to wind up playing mostly against club teams if they field a squad this year. ASU played a bunch of club teams their first year also.
                      Russell Jaslow

Comment

Multiple sources have told USCHO and others that this is simply not true.

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                          There's no way the NCAA gives waivers out for that. They do sometimes allow games against new programs not to count against the PWR in order to encourage teams to schedule new programs without worrying about the effect on their PWR. But, they don't provide game limit extensions outside of the usual -- one exhibiton game, against Alaska schools, special "pre-season" tournaments, one foreign trip every four years. LIU is going to wind up playing mostly against club teams if they field a squad this year. ASU played a bunch of club teams their first year also.
                          Bingo. I hear that there are a couple of programs needing a game or two on their schedule, but nowhere near enough. Teams make non-conference schedules two or three seasons out. If LIU doesn't meet the minimum number of games against D-I teams required to be in the tournament (25) then those games won't count in the PWR, which is probably good, since those games would otherwise hurt.

Comment

My original point was that with LIU committing to playing this year and being in NYC there could be an attraction there for some incoming Freshman or transfers. There is a possibility that some teams might lose some of the players they expected to come in because of this announcement. They may only play 20 games against mostly club teams this year and it is a good chance that they wont be competitive for a few years but the chance to play D1 in a market like NYC could be very tempting to some. According to the same article I quoted before they have already talked to Dave Poulin, former Notre Dame coach, about being the head coach which would also help with the program gaining traction quicker.

Comment

Best of luck to LIU as a former Long Island hockey player...That said I think money may do a fair amount of talking a far as recruits go,also some players who pass up AHA teams want to play in front of fans instead of it being friends and family night every night,which may be the case for LIU at the start,who knows let the fun begin.

Comment

My original point was that with LIU committing to playing this year and being in NYC there could be an attraction there for some incoming Freshman or transfers. There is a possibility that some teams might lose some of the players they expected to come in because of this announcement. They may only play 20 games against mostly club teams this year and it is a good chance that they wont be competitive for a few years but the chance to play D1 in a market like NYC could be very tempting to some. According to the same article I quoted before they have already talked to Dave Poulin, former Notre Dame coach, about being the head coach which would also help with the program gaining traction quicker.
                                Your original point is a valid one — how many borderline players who chose a top D3 school will change their minds to attend a D1 school?

I suppose some. But I doubt there will be a big rush.
                                Russell Jaslow

Comment

Working...
                                X