Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2020 Offseason

Originally posted by Timothy A View Post
    I was going to give you folks a little crap for all the poor behavior in Rodentapolis, then the losers (the ones pillaging, not the ones peacefully protesting) in Madison (and Milwaukee) decide they want free stuff too, although to a much smaller scale. What a country. Hopefully all of you are safe and have not incurred any damage to personal property.
    I don't know if anyone else was as close, since the 3rd Precinct was only 4 blocks from my front door (less from the back door). Close enough to smell the tear gas and choke on acrid fumes. I now have tons of horror stories to add to my store of war stories. However, there is one story that I thought you would appreciate. The neighbors have all banded together to protect what we can, and we keep in touch through neighborhood blogs and texts. This story came through a blog, so may be apocryphal. However, it said that a watch group apprehended some teenagers trying to loot a liquor store. Rather than turn them over to the police, they called the moms to come and get them. Turns out the moms had to drive all the way from Wisco into the calderon to gather up their kids. We hope a lesson was learned.

Comment

I was going to give you folks a little crap for all the poor behavior in Rodentapolis, then the losers (the ones pillaging, not the ones peacefully protesting) in Madison (and Milwaukee) decide they want free stuff too, although to a much smaller scale. What a country.
      The poorest behavior took place just under a week ago, and AFAIK, nobody in Wisconsin has matched that level of cowardice. If you think that one person can't make a difference in today's world, one need look no farther than the impact of one A hole's actions in South Minneapolis. Well, him plus the truth behind the quotation, “The only thing necessary for the triumph of evil is for good men to do nothing.” It is still possible for a person to influence change for good, but in a universe where entropy is always increasing, it doesn't happen as easily. Luckily, the young women that we follow on the ice are the kind of people who are able to get things done away from the rink as well.

OldDave, thanks for the story, and I'm sorry for all of the pain brought to your neighborhood. I hope that everyone is safe and well when the puck next drops.
      "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
      And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

I was going to give you folks a little crap for all the poor behavior in Rodentapolis, then the losers (the ones pillaging, not the ones peacefully protesting) in Madison (and Milwaukee) decide they want free stuff too, although to a much smaller scale. What a country. Hopefully all of you are safe and have not incurred any damage to personal property.
        Tim, I owe you an apology for my previous response to your post. I discovered that I am less able to function on 3 or 4 hours of sleep per day over a period of time than I used to be. The proper answer is that we indeed are safe and have not suffered any damage or injury. Thanks for your concern. I'm looking forward to a return to the simple pleasures of covid-19 restrictions.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
          Tim, I owe you an apology for my previous response to your post. I discovered that I am less able to function on 3 or 4 hours of sleep per day over a period of time than I used to be. The proper answer is that we indeed are safe and have not suffered any damage or injury. Thanks for your concern. I'm looking forward to a return to the simple pleasures of covid-19 restrictions.
          No worries, we're all on the same team. It's about .0000002% of the country who are defining the narrative.
          Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
          ------------------------------------------------------------------------------
          Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
          Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
          "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
          Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Minneapolis is seriously going to eliminate the police? I am shocked, dumbfounded and appalled. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. It's going to happen from what I read and there is no way to stop it.
            Wisconsin Hockey: 1, 3, 5, 7, 9, 11 WE WANT MORE!
            Come to the Wisconsin Evangelical Lutheran Synod
            Originally Posted by Wisko McBadgerton:
            "Baggot says Hughes and Rockwood are centering the top two lines...
            Timothy A --> Great hockey mind... Or Greatest hockey mind?!?"

Comment

Minneapolis is seriously going to eliminate the police? I am shocked, dumbfounded and appalled. I'm just sitting here shaking my head. It's going to happen from what I read and there is no way to stop it.
              Since I live far away from there, I am very interested to watch that experiment blow up in their faces. Feel bad for the residents. The irony is that the poorer communities will be the ones that feel the pain.

Comment

Maybe they should have a "no-call list". Make people declare whether they want to dismantle the police or not. Keep the police for those that want them and for those that declare for dismantling, the police don't respond when they call. Then everyone is happy.

Comment

Originally posted by Rightnut View Post
                  Since I live far away from there, I am very interested to watch that experiment blow up in their faces. Feel bad for the residents. The irony is that the poorer communities will be the ones that feel the pain.
                  Depending on how the City Council (and others) decide to revamp the MPD, it could be a good thing. For example, if the end result is more and better training for officers leading to them being better at de-escalating situations peacefully, I fully support it.

Camden, NJ did something like this years ago with positive results though they took a different tact. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ice-department

Comment

Originally posted by Offsides Guy View Post
                    Depending on how the City Council (and others) decide to revamp the MPD, it could be a good thing. For example, if the end result is more and better training for officers leading to them being better at de-escalating situations peacefully, I fully support it.

Camden, NJ did something like this years ago with positive results though they took a different tact. https://www.bloomberg.com/news/artic...ice-department
                    I agree it sounds like there was some positive progress. Although from the article it appears that the backstory is that the city pay was too high to hire more police so they contracted with the county and now have more cops. In contrast, sounds like some of the far lefties in Minnie are talking about getting rid of the policy entirely. Doubt that happens but where it ends up will be interesting to watch. I think that most people believe that some reform is needed. Where the line is and what change ends up happening is the devil in the details.

Comment

Hey, I would vote for that. Did you know that during the troubles here, the police were going around the neighborhood slashing tires? The "official" reason was that they were afraid that the cars would be stolen and used as weapons against them. Now, if I was going to steal a car and use it as a weapon, would I care if the tires were flat? Not a bit. No, those dimbulbs were just taking petty revenge. Please, please, please come and recruit them to come to your town.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post

Hey, I would vote for that. Did you know that during the troubles here, the police were going around the neighborhood slashing tires? The "official" reason was that they were afraid that the cars would be stolen and used as weapons against them. Now, if I was going to steal a car and use it as a weapon, would I care if the tires were flat? Not a bit. No, those dimbulbs were just taking petty revenge. Please, please, please come and recruit them to come to your town.

It would be interesting to see "community organizers" take over for the police. What could go wrong with that?

Probably would be like what is going on in Seattle right now...
                        Last edited by FiveHoleFrenzy; 06-12-2020, 08:57 AM.
                        At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Gophersports has done a nice job of generating content during Covid, including this segment on Kelly Terry:
                          https://gophersports.com/news/2020/6...lly-terry.aspx
                          "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
                          And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                            Gophersports has done a nice job of generating content during Covid, including this segment on Kelly Terry:
                            https://gophersports.com/news/2020/6...lly-terry.aspx
                            GS: "Who is a Gopher Women's hockey player you have enjoyed watching play after you graduated and why?"

KT: "I will never get sick of watching the offensive prowess of Hannah Brandt! I would have died for her goal-scoring ability back in my glory days!"

Kelly Terry's speed with Hanna Brandt's hands would have been something to behold...
                            At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by FiveHoleFrenzy View Post
                              Kelly Terry's speed with Hanna Brandt's hands would have been something to behold...
                              I remember her most for her relentless forechecking AND backchecking. Always quick to pressure the opponent player with the puck, forcing turnovers...
                              And those turnovers would often ultimately result in points for her too. She was a real joy to watch...
                              Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

Another thing we will miss with the State Fair being postponed is seeing Coach and the captain(s) sitting on the stage and talking about the upcoming season. Anyone know who will be wearing the C and the A now that they have had their first official team meeting?

Comment

Working...
                                X