Minnesota Gophers 2020 Offseason

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Minnesota Gophers 2020 Offseason

ARM told me to create this thread, so here it is. I'm hopeful that next season will be one of GWH's best, given the new players set to join the returning players .

Re: Minnesota Gophers 2020 Offseason

Looking at the roster for 2020-2021, I'm guessing the opening lineup will be last season's lineup with newcomers filling in the blanks. So, here's my shot at predicting that lineup.

Goalies were going to be Pahl and King in that order. The rumor that Bench is coming in as a grad transfer confuses the picture a bit, but I think Pahl and Bench will be 1A and 1B to start.

The D adds two left shots, so I expect that the Ostertag/Hengler line will be split up to give us three lefty/righty pairs. I imagine Brown and Knowles will remain together, M Wethington will be matched with Hengler (could be Ostertag, too), and Nicholson will be matched with Ostertag. That leaves Dunne as the odd one out, so this analysis is already flawed.

The offense has four centers in Heise, Oden, Wente, and A Wethington. Heise and Zumwinkle skated on the same line but will need a new wing. I'm guessing Murphy will fill that spot. Oden and Potomak form two thirds of another line, and also need a new wing. I'm guessing Cherkowski fills that spot. Wente bounced around in terms of linemates, so I think she will be between Jungels and Skaja. That leaves A Wethington between Burton and Boreen, with Shearen as the odd one out.

That's my guess as to the lineup for the opening weekend in the fall. The only thing I'm sure of is that I listed all the players. It will be fun to see them all out on the ice.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post

The D adds two left shots, so I expect that the Ostertag/Hengler line will be split up to give us three lefty/righty pairs. I imagine Brown and Knowles will remain together, M Wethington will be matched with Hengler (could be Ostertag, too), and Nicholson will be matched with Ostertag. That leaves Dunne as the odd one out, so this analysis is already flawed.
      It will be interesting to see if Hengler spends any time at forward next season if the freshman D prove up to the task which I expect they will.
      I could see that happening or at least being an experiment. She has great hands and vision.

Comment

Originally posted by AAA Dad View Post
        It will be interesting to see if Hengler spends any time at forward next season if the freshman D prove up to the task which I expect they will.
        I could see that happening or at least being an experiment. She has great hands and vision.
        She does, although Ostertag has better wheels. It might depend on what role that the team was trying to fill with that move: someone to provide instant offense and be a playmaker, or another speedy wing on the forecheck.

I would expect that we'll see all seven (if healthy) on the line chart as D at first. A seventh D figures to have more value to that roster than a 13th forward. I remember Kelly Seeler starting out as the seventh D as a rookie in 2008-09 and not getting to dress all the time. With the expansion to 19 skaters that can dress, at least a seventh D can be in uniform. She might not get shifts in one game of the weekend, and then the next night, a different D could be in that role.

At some point, if the coaches decide that their seventh D is a better hockey player than their ninth forward, then I think we'll see a D moving up front. It would be the reverse of what we saw in 2013-14 with Megan Wolfe moving from F to D in order to put the most talent possible on the ice for a team that was very deep at forward.
        "... And lose, and start again at your beginnings
        And never breathe a word about your loss;" -- Rudyard Kipling

Comment

Bemidji State goalie Lauren Bench is joining the Gophers as a graduate transfer. She wants to pursue medical school, so one can't blame her for making this move.
          Millsy

NCAA TOURNAMENT 2005, 2006, 2009, 2010!
          FROZEN FOUR 2009!

"Like" The BeaverPond's Facebook Page

BEMIDJI STATE BEAVERS!
          NAIA National Champs: 1968, '69, '70, '71, '73, '79, '80
          NCAA D-III National Champs: 1986
          NCAA D-II National Champs: 1984, '93, '94, '95, '97
          NCAA D-I National Champs: 20??
          Perfect 31-0 in 1983-84
          Holders of an NCAA Mens Record 43 straight wins (Nov. 8, 1983-Jan. 1, 1985)

Comment

Originally posted by Leather helmet View Post
            I just love watching players find a niche for themselves as they develop their skills over a period of years. Some of my favorite players from recent years include Kelly Terry and Megan Wolfe, both of whom became important parts of championship teams by the end of their careers.
            I quoted your comments from another thread because I think it makes a great lead in to a discussion more focused on Gophers hockey. Terry was one of my favorite UM players to watch play, because she always tried so hard. I would say that it didn't really take her that long to find her niche. She had 39 points as a rookie, more than she would have until she broke 50 as a senior. She was in the 30s both of her middle years, both of which were NCAA Championship years. But the real key to her game was her ability to get up and down the ice, shift after consistent shift. I don't know that I would say she was the fastest UM player of all time, but I'm not sure that anyone was faster. In any situation, she always seemed to be as fast as she needed to be. When I go back and watch some of her highlights, like the quarterfinal win over BU in 2014 or the Fill-the-Bowl win in the Kohl Center that same year, it's pretty impressive watching her just blow by some of the opposing players who are decent skaters in their own right.

Even Wolfe, who definitely went through an adjustment period with the switch to D, figured it out pretty quickly. Her offensive contributions were huge in both wins at the 2015 FF.

For me, it is really hard to narrow it down to one or two players in any kind of favorites list, because there have been so many, and for different reasons. For example, my original "favorite line" on the team was Laura Slominski, Tracy Engstrom, and Ambria Thomas. IMO, Thomas was one of the most under-appreciated Gophers. She was like a left-handed Kelly Stephens, in that she did so many things well in addition to having a 200-pt career. They were never the top line, because that was Muzzy and whoever she was playing with, but I loved watching that trio come over the boards and go to work.

As for favorites, Krissy's game was pretty unforgettable. Was she the best? If she wasn't, she certainly could have been if it mattered to her. How does one possibly make a list of favorites and leave Hannah Brandt off of it? I know that I could not. She definitely wasn't a fan of talking about herself, but she had a great attitude, was a wonderful player from day one, and still managed to improve so much while she was here. I've always had a fondness for the speedy players who hustle, like Terry, Jenelle Philipczyk, and Kate Schipper. We've also had some really funny players off the ice. Sarah Davis. Emily West. Bobbi Ross.

If Ross isn't my favorite, then I certainly wouldn't rank anyone above her. Really great dry sense of humor. Showed up in the biggest games. Overall, just a quality person from a community that had a population like 16, and the post office was in her kitchen. You could tell that she came from a family that knew how to work and that was the foundation in everything she did. If anyone knows where she is today and what she is doing, that would be fun to know.

Enough rambling by me. It looks like it we could have an extended offseason, so I'd be interested in reading the memories of others.

Comment

Posted over on GPL...

https://www.youthhockeyhub.com/news_...e/show/1102009

Looking forward to the 2020/2021 and 2021/2022 recruiting classes coming to Minnesota. Some terrific potential in both these classes.
              At the outset, we could hang with the dude...

Comment

Originally posted by ARM View Post
                If Ross isn't my favorite, then I certainly wouldn't rank anyone above her. Really great dry sense of humor. Showed up in the biggest games. Overall, just a quality person from a community that had a population like 16, and the post office was in her kitchen. You could tell that she came from a family that knew how to work and that was the foundation in everything she did. If anyone knows where she is today and what she is doing, that would be fun to know.
                As a player and as a contributor to the team, the heart and soul of those Gopher teams, Bobbi Ross.

I did a little googling and found a Facebook page for Bobbi Ross Burford of Windsor, Ontario, formerly of Verwood, Saskatchewan.

Scrolling through the publicly available photos it is apparent that she is still in contact with her old Gopher teammates.
                Last edited by ManBehindTheCurtain; 04-25-2020, 12:53 PM.
                Pay no attention to the man behind the curtain.

Comment

You want memories, but there are so many to choose from that we kind of go into paralysis trying to choose. One game that had me grinning afterwards was played in January, 2010. The US Olympic team was in Ridder playing an exhibition game against the Gophers. Kelli Blankenship was always one of the fastest players, but she didn't always arrive at the opponent's net with the puck. This night, though, she put on an exhibition of her own, flying all over the ice, scoring a hat trick, and keeping the Gophers in the game. If I remember correctly (not always a given), the score was tied at 4 after two periods. The Gophers changed goalies, the Olympic team came out for the third period with some fire, and the final score was 8 - 5. A heck of a hockey game for one that didn't count.

Comment

Originally posted by OldDave View Post
                    One game that had me grinning afterwards was played in January, 2010. The US Olympic team was in Ridder playing an exhibition game against the Gophers.
                    Which team did Potter, Marvin and Darwitz play for?
                    Minnesota Golden Gopher Hockey

Comment

The Minnesota Whitecaps select ex-Gophers Alex Woken in the 1st Round of the NWHL draft with the 5th overall pick and Patti Marshall in the 2nd Round with the 11th overall pick. Congrats and best of luck to both!

Comment

Big numbers, not a good sign for the non-revenue sports. I would imagine that other schools are in a similar, or worse, position.

"With the Gophers trying to stem the financial fallout from the coronavirus pandemic, athletic director Mark Coyle acknowledged Friday that the school might eventually need to cut sports."

https://www.startribune.com/mark-coy...rts/570322072/

Comment

More financial implications - not looking good for any number of non-revenue sports. Hopefully, when the dust has settled, women's hockey is spared of most of the draconian measures.

https://www.startribune.com/don-t-wa...ges/570343081/

Comment

I’m afraid this is a larger issue than is generally appreciated. North Dakota, a “hockey school”, cut women’s hockey in part due to travel costs and expenses overall. Hockey has to be one of the most expensive sports to run. I am especially worried for programs whose school does not wholly own the facilities. I don’t think any program is guaranteed right now, and hopefully the only changes to come is more regional play in a more-or-less full schedule. At this rate, I’d take half-season next year (starting in Jan or something). Lets see what happens in football.

Comment

Originally posted by Cornholio View Post
                              I am especially worried for programs whose school does not wholly own the facilities.
                              One thing to keep in mind is that the owners of these facilities are also in a crunch. Are they going to be able to pack the same number of ticket-buyers in to watch the Ice Capades or monster trucks, or to attend the Home Show? At least for the coming year, people in many of these locations are going to be hesitant about going to any large, indoor gatherings that aren't necessities. It might be different if states like FL, GA, MI, TX and OK had women's hockey, as they seem more willing to get COVID-19 to celebrate their liberty.

I would guess that owners will be more willing to give cost breaks on leases to retain some income rather than take a hard-line approach with their partners.

Comment

Working...
                              X