Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 part 6: Waiting For Advice from Kid Rock and Tiger Woods now.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 part 6: Waiting For Advice from Kid Rock and Tiger Woods now.

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

US deaths, n > 10:

Code:
      3/15	 12
      3/16	 18
      3/17	 23
      3/18	 40
      3/19	 56
      3/20	 49
      3/21	 46
      3/22	113
      3/23	141
      3/24	225
      3/25	247
      3/26	268
      3/27	400
      3/28	525
      3/29	363
      3/30	573
      3/31	912
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-01-2020, 02:46 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        There was a study reported in The Lancet a day or two ago that suggested the death rate may be only a third of that, for what it's worth. I know Handy won't like it because it references the Diamond Princess.
        I wouldn't use necessarily use the Diamond Princess as a case study for society at large.

He and Kenji Mizumoto, an epidemiologist at Kyoto University in Japan, report in Infectious Disease Modelling3 that the day the quarantine was introduced, one person could go on to infect more than 7 others. The infection rate was probably quite high because people were living in close quarters and touching surfaces contaminated with the virus, says Chowell.

But after people were confined to their rooms, the average number of others to whom one infected person passed the virus dropped below one. This suggests that the quarantine averted a lot of infections, says Chowell. However, it wasn’t perfect: passengers could still infect their room-mates and crew members, he says.
        Although insights from the ship about the virus’s spread and severity are valuable, it is difficult to draw lessons from its quarantine for those countries implementing similar lockdown measures, says Ioannidis. “A whole country is not a ship.”

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          They’ll need hackers or John Roberts to help.
          They have 'em.
          What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

“Hey, we heard you guys have equipment. Would you be willing to give us some?”

“Umm... we do, but do you mean the equipment you just sent us?”

Go Green! Go White! Go State!

1966, 1986, 2007

Go Tigers, Go Packers, Go Red Wings, Go Pistons

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
              I wouldn't use necessarily use the Diamond Princess as a case study for society at large.
              Correct. But it's the closest we have to a controlled experiment you're ever going to get. So, I wouldn't just dismiss the findings from those studies either.
              Russell Jaslow
              [Former] SUNYAC Correspondent
              U.S. College Hockey Online

Comment

Originally posted by Russell Jaslow View Post
                Correct. But it's the closest we have to a controlled experiment you're ever going to get. So, I wouldn't just dismiss the findings from those studies either.
                True although you can use other ships (like the one off Panama, or say the Navy ship) to basically show the Diamond Princess is more likely a fluke than evidence of anything. So no you dont dismiss it, but you dont give it as much weight as the "Media is Overblowing This" crowd give it.

Kepler,

So before the Right Wing pivot (right around my birthday) one of the talking points was how this wasnt a big deal and how H1N1 killed 12k people (1k a month!!) and no one gave Obama hell for it. (liberal bias and all) So much for that...this virus has killed a third of that (that we know of) in less than a month. Hell yesterday alone was equal to one month.

And the scary thing is we have yet to hit the peaks most places including NY. (next week) By the time we get to the end of the month when Cali and a bunch of other states hit their peaks I shudder to think what the numbers will look like.
                Last edited by Handyman; 04-01-2020, 08:25 AM.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
                  With respect to the Diamond Princess reference, I'm not a doctor or an epidemiologist or a medical researcher or anything of the sort, so the significance of the Diamond Princess data to me is at best a layperson's view. I referenced the Diamond Princess in my original quote as I responded to Kepler only because Diamond Princess was referred to in the article and I know from past experience that Diamond Princess may act as some sort of triggering mechanism for our friend Handy, so I didn't want to post something that referred to Diamond Princess in it without letting everyone, including Handy, know that Diamond Princess references showed up in the report so if Diamond Princess causes some sort of adverse reaction they would be forewarned about the presence of Diamond Princess in the Lancet study.
                  That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Again the Diamond Princess isnt the problem. The problem is the jackoffs at Faux and the rest of the Murdoch Empire pretending it means what they hope it does. The fact that a guy also used China's lies to also prove his point only hurts his claims. (as more info from China is released) Yes I get triggered when bad science is used to try and fleece the public and put millions at risk. Sue me.

Speaking of Faux:

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I'm sure there will be innumerable fascinating studies to come out of this pandemic, but I saw an interview with a researcher from, I think, the Mayo Clinic. He said one thing they are looking at is a possible link between generally poor vaccination rates in an area and how quickly and severely that area may be hit by Covid-19.

He said (and I have no idea if any of this is true) that Italy has historically had one of the poorest vaccination rates in Europe. In the US, NYC, New Jersey, Louisiana, Georgia, and Michigan have all had poor vaccination rates. Historically one of the worst counties has been King County in the State of Washington, where the virus hit first and most severely.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                          I have to agree.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                            I'm sure there will be innumerable fascinating studies to come out of this pandemic, but I saw an interview with a researcher from, I think, the Mayo Clinic. He said one thing they are looking at is a possible link between generally poor vaccination rates in an area and how quickly and severely that area may be hit by Covid-19.

He said (and I have no idea if any of this is true) that Italy has historically had one of the poorest vaccination rates in Europe. In the US, NYC, New Jersey, Louisiana, Georgia, and Michigan have all had poor vaccination rates. Historically one of the worst counties has been King County in the State of Washington, where the virus hit first and most severely.
                            That is interesting...but I am not sure they will ever be able to show a causal link between the two things. Unless one of the vaccines somehow adds immunity for COVID...boy would that cheese off the Anti-Vaxxers
                            -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X