Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19 part 6: Waiting For Advice from Kid Rock and Tiger Woods now.

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19 part 6: Waiting For Advice from Kid Rock and Tiger Woods now.

Comment

Originally posted by wolverineTrumpet View Post
      Is there still a lag on test results? Should we look at yesterday's number testing positive and think of it as people tested a week ago?
      This is a fascinating and difficult question of relational data.

Take a table of patients. A patient's attributes are unique identifier, dob, gender, resident address, work address, etc. Patients are linked to each other many-to-many through genetic kinship, residential propinquity, work propinquity, friendship, etc.

The next table is tests. A test's attributes are unique identifier, test type, date administered, analyzing lab, result.

There are testers, labs, diagnosticians, etc.

The next table is diagnoses, with unique id, patient, date, diagnosis, diagnostician.

All the data is important because we may see patterns which can direct us to conclusions about medical realities or sources of error. In wolverine's question what we want is an aggregated report of tests by date, with result. To expose heterogeneous granularity we may want to break down tests by the patient's observed symptoms -- perhaps productive cough is not dispositive but hypoxia has high lethality. We should also be tracking treatments (ventilation and interval, vaccine id, administration date, strength, etc) and their results.

Hopefully this is all being done by hospitals on the micro level, the CDC nationally and WHO globally, as there is an entire science and infrastructure of medical data analysis, and it's enough in the weeds that it is probably not vulnerable to direct political manipulation by bad actors.
      Last edited by Kepler; 04-05-2020, 10:30 AM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

"It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Well hells bells then, get those guys some weapons!

Originally posted by Handyman View Post
          a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I am confused...in February he said it was more important to worry about the flu.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Silence = consent.
              What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Hopefully this Mayo Clinic antibody teat can be scaled up fast. Like, really fast. Most of the blood tests I had done were fairly quick when they were testing me for every disease known to man last year.

I assume it’s better than swabbing. But are blood tests generally better than sputum, for example? Again, I assume they are. But just don’t know if they’re more specific and accurate. Hopefully both. Also, how early is it detectable in blood vs swabs or sputum?

I just don’t trust swabs to be great in catching all cases especially given the Lancet’s paper about detecting the virus in throat and stool.
                Code:
                As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                Originally posted by SanTropez
                May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                Originally posted by Kepler
                When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

I am confused...in February he said it was more important to worry about the flu.
                  That's what his boss wanted him to say.

Now his boss wants him to appear grave and concerned, so his boss can premise himself as the savior of the red states, and win re-election as a result.

Like 9/11? We're already at three 9/11s, and counting.

Comment

New York surpassed 9/11 alone like 3 days ago.
                    -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

New York surpassed 9/11 alone like 3 days ago.
                      And this country completely lost its collective **** over 9/11. How long before they lose it over this?

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
                        And this country completely lost its collective **** over 9/11. How long before they lose it over this?
                        Well, if the CDC shows images of the COVID virus in beards and turbans...
                        Cornell University
                        National Champion 1967, 1970
                        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by rufus View Post
                          Like 9/11? We're already at three 9/11s, and counting.
                          Fast. And getting faster.

My relative (actually my mom’s stepbrother, not cousin) had a resurgence last night and one lung burst. He is in surgery right now but the situation is obviously very grim.

#stfh
                          If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Wait, burst? As in ruptured? I didn’t realize that was a thing.

Holy hell. I’m so sorry. Sending thoughts.
                            Code:
                            May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                            He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                              Wait, burst? As in ruptured? I didn’t realize that was a thing.

Holy hell. I’m so sorry. Sending thoughts.
                              Yeah - rampant speculation on my part as a mechanical engineer is that it might be tricky to get the ventilator tuned properly to force enough air into the lungs without going too far. As the infection affects the stiffness of the lung tissues, I could easily imagine that it could change the strength (and therefore the burst pressure) of those tissues, too. So the ventilator would always be trying to hit a moving target.

Like I said - just speculation and I am not a doctor.
                              If you don't change the world today, how can it be any better tomorrow?

Comment

Oh wow. That is terrifying.

Again, best wishes. We hope he pulls through.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X