Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
    Maybe someone out there can tell me this, I follow the NHL signings pretty closely and maybe I missed it...but has any NHL Team reached out to Mitch Fossier..? I mean...seems he would attract some attention...from the likes of LA Kings, Anaheim, Ottawa and Detroit...teams on the rebuild and looking for young players. I can't believe he does not get some chance down the road by a NHL club.
    I haven't heard anything about him yet. Normally I would find it curious, but with covid rampaging I don't find it so surprising. There's no way there wouldn't be interest in him, even Daniel Perez signed a pro contract. The only other answer I could think of is that Mitch isn't interested in playing hockey professionally, and would rather pursue music as his primary career.

Comment

Re: Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Gendron changing his mind on OT. He has always favored 5X5 in OT for 5 minutes. If it's still tied after the 5 minutes it goes as a tie and each team gets a point.

Now he favors going 3X3 for 5 minutes. “Personally, I think the 3-on-3 would be more entertaining for the fans and it would also enhance the student-athlete experience.”
      Gendron, UM Hockey Coach.

This has been my opinion for years. The players would love it! It gives them more open ice and a chance to show their skill with the puck. More discussion slated for June meeting by leagues and coaches.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post
        Gendron changing his mind on OT. He has always favored 5X5 in OT for 5 minutes. If it's still tied after the 5 minutes it goes as a tie and each team gets a point.

Now he favors going 3X3 for 5 minutes. “Personally, I think the 3-on-3 would be more entertaining for the fans and it would also enhance the student-athlete experience.”

This has been my opinion for years. The players would love it! It gives them more open ice and a chance to show their skill with the puck. More discussion slated for June meeting by leagues and coaches.
        IMO, 3v3 would be a lot of fun from a college hockey fan experience but as a Maine fan, I hope they don’t. I have a feeling a big, slower team like the ones we’ve fielded over the past few years would probably struggle in that format.

As for Fossier, I’ve found it interesting as well, such a creative and fun player to watch. I don’t see him ever making the league although I really hope he does. I think he’ll be a really good AHL player. His music career also sounds promising so he might be trying that as well.

Comment

Originally posted by BlackBearFan19 View Post
          IMO, 3v3 would be a lot of fun from a college hockey fan experience but as a Maine fan, I hope they don’t. I have a feeling a big, slower team like the ones we’ve fielded over the past few years would probably struggle in that format.

As for Fossier, I’ve found it interesting as well, such a creative and fun player to watch. I don’t see him ever making the league although I really hope he does. I think he’ll be a really good AHL player. His music career also sounds promising so he might be trying that as well.
          If he could become a better skater I could see Fossier in the NHL. He has the ice vision, creativity, and decision making to make it.

Comment

Originally posted by Runsub5 View Post

IMO they should go with a 10 minute overtime, a breakdown of the first 5 minutes with 4x4 and if still tied go with a 5 minute at 3x3....if tied after this, its a tie and so be it, BUT PLEASE NO SHOOT-OUTs....
            Last edited by Ma#1ne Hky; 04-25-2020, 10:26 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
              If he could become a better skater I could see Fossier in the NHL. He has the ice vision, creativity, and decision making to make it.
              I still think he has the skill set to play in the NHL...he would most likely have to wait and play a few seasons at the AHL level...but also remember that there's a Expansion Team coming in after next season: Seattle, and with that there will be more openings with a new League team and also a ECHL/AHL teams to stock...I really think he gets a look by someone down the road and would not be surprised to see Detroit along with the N.Y. Rangers take a flyer on him as they have been in on College Hockey players for a long time. Either way, Music or Hockey...he has the options to do something he likes.

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
                IMO they should go with a 10 minute overtime, a breakdown of the first 5 minutes with 4x4 and if still tied go with a 5 minute at 3x3....if tied after this, its a tie and so be it, BUT PLEASE NO SHOOT-OUTs....
                These games have gotten way toooo loooong. No more ot in my opinion. I have no problems with ties what so ever. Play three periods end the game, or one 5 min ot is fine.

Comment

I don’t know why people are so adverse to ties. I’d rather take the result and the point then subject my team to a gimmick and come out empty handed.

The more concerning thing that Red said was his support for the 11 team HE playoff.

Comment

Originally posted by dunbar View Post
                    .......The more concerning thing that Red said was his support for the 11 team HE playoff.
                    He has been consistent on that issue. Because the schedule is imbalanced he does have somewhat of a point. However, I don't agree with it. Play better during the season and finish in the top 8! Just more games to extract more money from fans. Also, does not reward in season performance.

Comment

• Re: Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

I don’t know why people are so adverse to ties. I’d rather take the result and the point then subject my team to a gimmick and come out empty handed.

The more concerning thing that Red said was his support for the 11 team HE playoff.
                      Just 8 teams in the playoffs...period...make the regular season mean something, you can't make the top 8....TOUGH, even if it means Maine has to watch it on TV.

Comment

Agree on all counts.

Does the season happen if BU, BC, and Northeastern don't have classes on campus in the fall? Harvard released something today that makes it sound like on campus classes are pretty unlikely for the fall and they are making plans for having classes online. Would schools let athletes be on campus if regular students can't be?
                        Originally posted by BobbyBrady
                        Crosby probably wouldn't even be on BC's top two lines next year

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                          Agree on all counts.

Does the season happen if BU, BC, and Northeastern don't have classes on campus in the fall? Harvard released something today that makes it sound like on campus classes are pretty unlikely for the fall and they are making plans for having classes online. Would schools let athletes be on campus if regular students can't be?
                          Harvard is gonna Harvard. BU is planning for all situations, as they should. If you only plan for one scenario, you didn’t plan at all.

Many universities need to be back on campus to survive. No one is going to pay $40K a year for online classes they can get at their nearby community college. This has and is going to kill numerous institutions permanently.

Comment

• Originally posted by Drew S. View Post
                            Agree on all counts.

I would imagine that if even one of Hockey East's members isn't having students on campus, games won't be played until they do. Its hard to picture a scenario where student athletes are allowed on campus while other students are not, and it's similarly hard to picture the league allowing games to go on with one or more members sitting on the sidelines unable to participate. Unless the situation improves drastically over the summer, we might be looking at no games until the new year, or even no games in the 2020-21 season at all.

Comment

Harvard is gonna Harvard. BU is planning for all situations, as they should. If you only plan for one scenario, you didn’t plan at all.

Many universities need to be back on campus to survive. No one is going to pay $40K a year for online classes they can get at their nearby community college. This has and is going to kill numerous institutions permanently.
                              Agree with the first statement.

Disagree with the second. If people wouldn't pay for "online classes they can get at their nearby community college", why do they routinely pay that for in-person classes? The truth is that the courses are not the same. The professors are not the same.
                              bigmrg74: "You can't drink the day away if you don't start early!"
                              SledDog: "UncleRay seems to be the most sensible one here tonight."
                              All great men are dead and I'm not feeling well.
                              A Margarita! in every hand and another Margarita! in the other hand!

And stay off the lawn!

Comment

Originally posted by UncleRay View Post
                                Agree with the first statement.

Disagree with the second. If people wouldn't pay for "online classes they can get at their nearby community college", why do they routinely pay that for in-person classes? The truth is that the courses are not the same. The professors are not the same.
                                I think he's right. $40k gets me the whole college experience. I'd probably take a year off, maybe do some of my Gen. Ed. requirements at the local community college (say, take my math credits if I am an English major), and still get myself four years of college at my chosen school.

Comment

Working...
                                X