Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: Maine Offseason 2020: We Stay Home But Swayman Leaves

Its just great he got in as the TOP 3, imo he deserves it...."BUT"....u never know thou....but it was just great to witness him play for 3 years...worth every penny paid to watch and then some....THANKS #1...…!!!!!!

Comment

Congratulations to Jeremy! Rarely post anymore and only get to a couple of games a year, but disappointed that Jeremy did not get a chance to shine in the post season. We all understand that Jeremy is the only reason why Maine achieved the success they did this year. If you need further evidence read this article on College Hockey News regarding who should win the Richter award https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...s-Richter-.php

The observation that stands out most of all was this:

"And again, no spoilers here since I said “Swayman over McKay” for Hobey, but the breakdown is obvious: It’s not that Minnesota State would have necessarily been fine without McKay, but Maine would have been one of the worst teams in the country without Swayman.

On a per-game basis, the Mavericks allowed the second-fewest shots per game in the nation, and fewest goals against. The Black Bears allowed the sixth-most shots per game, but Swayman made sure they conceded the 10th-fewest goals per game. And that’s the whole argument."

Comment

Originally posted by BobF View Post
        Congratulations to Jeremy! Rarely post anymore and only get to a couple of games a year, but disappointed that Jeremy did not get a chance to shine in the post season. We all understand that Jeremy is the only reason why Maine achieved the success they did this year. If you need further evidence read this article on College Hockey News regarding who should win the Richter award https://www.collegehockeynews.com/ne...s-Richter-.php

"And again, no spoilers here since I said “Swayman over McKay” for Hobey, but the breakdown is obvious: It’s not that Minnesota State would have necessarily been fine without McKay, but Maine would have been one of the worst teams in the country without Swayman.

On a per-game basis, the Mavericks allowed the second-fewest shots per game in the nation, and fewest goals against. The Black Bears allowed the sixth-most shots per game, but Swayman made sure they conceded the 10th-fewest goals per game. And that’s the whole argument."
        Thats a great way of looking at it. He did more for his team than anyone else, probably countrywide.
        I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

Yes he was the MVP for Maine all year long...without him Maine would have been toast...and a good chance of finishing out of the playoff picture in Hockey East...he does deserve the Award and then some(imo)...but I figure and I hope I am wrong but he will come in 3rd to the other two deserving players...but lets hope that facts and looking right at what Swayman meant to his team compared to the other two players...I would say common sense would point that Swayman is the Hobey Baker winner...

Comment

Originally posted by Ma#1ne Hky View Post
            Yes he was the MVP for Maine all year long...without him Maine would have been toast...and a good chance of finishing out of the playoff picture in Hockey East...he does deserve the Award and then some(imo)...but I figure and I hope I am wrong but he will come in 3rd to the other two deserving players...but lets hope that facts and looking right at what Swayman meant to his team compared to the other two players...I would say common sense would point that Swayman is the Hobey Baker winner...
            While I did not get the opportunity to see Swayman often this season, I did see a lot of Kawaguchi and, to a lesser extent, Perunovich. I think all three players meant the world to their teams. Kawaguchi's improvement from last season was the biggest reason why North Dakota went from being a middling .500 team to one of, if not the, best team in the country this season. Perunovich likewise contributed significantly to bringing back-to-back titles to Duluth, and perhaps would have led the Bulldogs to a three-peat. To that end, I don't buy the "Swayman should have won because without him, Maine would have been terrible" argument. While it may (likely?) would have been true, the same type of argument could also be made for Kawaguchi ("without him, North Dakota would have been a mediocre team") or Perunovich ("without him, Duluth wouldn't have had a shot at a three peat"). In any event, the Hobey Baker Award is not an MVP award. It goes to the best player in the country. I think the committee did a pretty good job of getting the right players in the Hobey Hat Trick, and any of the three would be a deserving winner.
            North Dakota
            National Champions: 1959, 1963, 1980, 1982, 1987, 1997, 2000, 2016

Comment

I think its almost impossible for a goalie to win the Hobey these days. When Brian Elliott didnt win in 06 I pretty much thought it would never happen again. But this is a once in a lifetime year so if its ever gonna happen itll be now and Swayman is surely worthy

Maine Hockey: I want to believe
              43-21-4 (.662) in games I attended over 4 years as a student
              104-47-14 (.669) in that time
              3x FROZEN FOUR

11-20-2 in games I've attended since. (2-2-1 under Red)

Comment

Originally posted by Fighting Sioux 23 View Post
                While I did not get the opportunity to see Swayman often this season, I did see a lot of Kawaguchi and, to a lesser extent, Perunovich. I think all three players meant the world to their teams. Kawaguchi's improvement from last season was the biggest reason why North Dakota went from being a middling .500 team to one of, if not the, best team in the country this season. Perunovich likewise contributed significantly to bringing back-to-back titles to Duluth, and perhaps would have led the Bulldogs to a three-peat. To that end, I don't buy the "Swayman should have won because without him, Maine would have been terrible" argument. While it may (likely?) would have been true, the same type of argument could also be made for Kawaguchi ("without him, North Dakota would have been a mediocre team") or Perunovich ("without him, Duluth wouldn't have had a shot at a three peat"). In any event, the Hobey Baker Award is not an MVP award. It goes to the best player in the country. I think the committee did a pretty good job of getting the right players in the Hobey Hat Trick, and any of the three would be a deserving winner.
                I do understand your point on the MVP is not what the Hobey Baker award is about...I was saying that Swayman was Maine's MVP....and I also think he's deserving of the HB award...as are the two other players...Kawaguchi and Perunovich.

Comment

I do understand your point on the MVP is not what the Hobey Baker award is about...I was saying that Swayman was Maine's MVP....and I also think he's deserving of the HB award...as are the two other players...Kawaguchi and Perunovich.
                  If I had to guess, my money would be on Kawaguchi winning the award, with Swayman as runner up and Perunovich third.

Comment

Originally posted by amkirby10 View Post
                    If I had to guess, my money would be on Kawaguchi winning the award, with Swayman as runner up and Perunovich third.
                    [x] Hobey Baker Award winner= #1 Maine's Jeremy Swayman …

Comment

I wonder if with how mediocre this team should have been, and just truly how much Swayman was the straw that stirred the drink, if that will help his chances

Comparing his numbers to other recent goalie Hobey Finalists:

Jeremy Swayman (2020): 18 W | 2.07 GAA | .939 SV% | 1099 SVS | 3 SHO
                      Thatcher Demko (2016): 27 W | 1.88 GAA | .935 SV% | 1067 SVS | 10 SHO
                      Zane McIntyre (2015): 29 W | 2.05 GAA | .929 SV% | 1111 SVS | 1 SHO
                      Eric Hartzell (2013): 27 W | 1.57 GAA | .93 SV% | 1067 SVS | 5 SHO
                      Thatcher Demko (2009): 25 W | 2.12 GAA | .931 SV% | 1195 SVS | 3 SHO
                      David Brown (2007): 30 W | 1.58 GAA | .931 SV% | 844 SVS | 10 SHO
                      Brian Elliott (2006): 27 W | 1.55 GAA | .938 SV% | 837 SVS | 8 SHO
                      David McKee (2005): 27 W | 1.24 GAA | .947 SV% | 783 SVS | 10 SHO
                      Yann Danis (2004): 15 W | 1.81 GAA | .942 SV% | 901 SVS | 5 SHO
                      Dave LeNeveu (2003): 28 W | 1.20 GAA | .940 SV% | 607 SVS | 9 SHO
                      Ryan Miller (2001): 31 W | 1.322 GAA | .950 SV% | 1024 SVS | 10 SHO

Comment

Sums it all up pretty nicely.

Maine would have been nowhere without Swayman this year.

Absolutely nowhere.
                        Last edited by Fishman'81; 04-06-2020, 12:44 PM.

Comment

*NOTE* Was checking the Hobey Baker Award site, and they have a notice saying the Hobey Baker Award will be announced on SATURDAY/11pm EDT on ESPN SportsCenter program. [x] Swayman

Comment

*NOTE* Was checking the Hobey Baker Award site, and they have a notice saying the Hobey Baker Award will be announced on SATURDAY/11pm EDT on ESPN SportsCenter program. [x] Swayman
                            Why they waiting so long

Comment

Originally posted by NorthMike View Post
                              Why they waiting so long
                              I don't know...could not figure that either...somebody out there may have the answer.

Comment

Announcement was originally planned for Friday. NCAA blaming Coronavirus.

Comment

Working...
                                X