This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC Eagles 2020-21 - in memory of Steve Gerrish

Peter Reynolds de-commits from BC and goes the Q route.

Sounds like you may have avoided another Wahlstrom situation.
    2016 and 2019 HOCKEY EAST CHAMPIONS
    2018, 2019 and 2020 BEANPOT CHAMPIONS

MATTHEWS ARENA 1910-Present: THE CATHEDRAL OF COLLEGE HOCKEY

Comment

Originally posted by Thiessen'sBetter View Post
      Peter Reynolds de-commits from BC and goes the Q route.

Sounds like you may have avoided another Wahlstrom situation.
      Perhaps. Not all one and dones end badly though.
      The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
      BC - 12
      BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Losing Reynolds hurts a lot tbh. Next year’s crop of forward recruits is not that good. Not one of the five forwards projected to be here in the Fall of 2021 will likely be drafted. We need to pick up our recruiting game quite a bit. I’m concerned

Comment

Originally posted by Marshmont_63 View Post
          Losing Reynolds hurts a lot tbh. Next year’s crop of forward recruits is not that good. Not one of the five forwards projected to be here in the Fall of 2021 will likely be drafted. We need to pick up our recruiting game quite a bit. I’m concerned
          BC may be in trouble since the NCAA season is in doubt. I could see several players leave for the pro ranks if the season is in question. Boldy, Newhook, Hutsko, possibly Knight...could all possibly leave at this point if the season is delayed and they feel their development may suffer because of it. Also, huge red flags for next years forwards as they will have to fill in some big time producers. This years team has talent up front and in net but their defense corp is very young and inexperienced.

Comment

I think you are missing something big in your analysis and frankly, not certain of your qualifications that next year's class is not that good. It appears to be that there has been a shift towards bringing in older forwards. If you look at some of the elite teams recently they have been consistently 8 to 14 months "older" than BC. The class entering both next year and 2021 is an evolution of that strategy. Hardman certainly fit that bill last year and next year Weight, Roy, Nesterenko and Shamburger are 19 or older. The following class will have at least three forwards that are also 19 or older. It appears the Reynolds loss is big, but he had good, not great numbers at Chilliwack last year. Major juniors is always a risk with elite Canadian players.

Comment

Originally posted by EaglesFly View Post
              I think you are missing something big in your analysis and frankly, not certain of your qualifications that next year's class is not that good. It appears to be that there has been a shift towards bringing in older forwards. If you look at some of the elite teams recently they have been consistently 8 to 14 months "older" than BC. The class entering both next year and 2021 is an evolution of that strategy. Hardman certainly fit that bill last year and next year Weight, Roy, Nesterenko and Shamburger are 19 or older. The following class will have at least three forwards that are also 19 or older. It appears the Reynolds loss is big, but he had good, not great numbers at Chilliwack last year. Major juniors is always a risk with elite Canadian players.
              Losing Reynolds sucks no doubt about it. I wouldn’t read too much info next years class because it’s a really bad American birth year. The NTDP will be lucky to have more than a single player drafted in the first round. If Ambrosio doesn’t get drafted then I’ll be very surprised. He should be a 4th rounder in my mind.

I would expect them to fill Reynolds spot with a very high end prospect. They’re really lucky it happened this year and he didn’t wait another year. Also to note, Cam Macdonald is the real deal coming in 2021. He was the best ‘03 min playing in America outside of the NTDP. He would’ve been a top 3 player on the NTDP if he weren’t Canadian. Ironically his QMJHL rights are owned by St. John’s. Let’s just hope whatever the massive package they had to give to Reynolds means they can’t afford to do the same with MacDonald.

Comment

Originally posted by sigx15 View Post
                Losing Reynolds sucks no doubt about it. I wouldn’t read too much info next years class because it’s a really bad American birth year. The NTDP will be lucky to have more than a single player drafted in the first round. If Ambrosio doesn’t get drafted then I’ll be very surprised. He should be a 4th rounder in my mind.

I would expect them to fill Reynolds spot with a very high end prospect. They’re really lucky it happened this year and he didn’t wait another year. Also to note, Cam Macdonald is the real deal coming in 2021. He was the best ‘03 min playing in America outside of the NTDP. He would’ve been a top 3 player on the NTDP if he weren’t Canadian. Ironically his QMJHL rights are owned by St. John’s. Let’s just hope whatever the massive package they had to give to Reynolds means they can’t afford to do the same with MacDonald.
                Well this sucks, “New Brunswicker Peter Reynolds abandoned the idea of playing in the NCAA and got along with the Sea Dogs. But that's not all, the team is also on the verge of announcing the arrival of another solid hope, the Nova Scotian Cameron MacDonald”

https://twitter.com/martinlahaie/status/1259933199410610176?s=21

Hopefully it’s not true, but he’s a beat writer for St Johns

Comment

Wasn't Reynolds 16 this past season? He had very good numbers for that age. Certainly a big loss. I am not looking too far ahead. What stings is how this past season ended and how this next season could be derailed as well.

Comment

tough to get too worked out about these kids until they show up on campus

speaking of campus, these schools better pray they open come september or you're going to see some doors never reopen up. this all accelerated an overdue reckoning for higher education.

Comment

Just wait until they do reopen and colleges try to make up for lost room and board money!

Comment

You think maybe the Major Juniors are using the uncertainty surrounding colleges to their advantage? I get the feeling you may see a bunch of commits make the jump. This could be very bad for college hockey.
                        The ORIGINAL Cross Check

Frozen Four appearances since 98'
                        BC - 12
                        BU - 2

BC Hockey 1949, 2001, 2008, 2010, 2012 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Cross Check View Post
                          You think maybe the Major Juniors are using the uncertainty surrounding colleges to their advantage? I get the feeling you may see a bunch of commits make the jump. This could be very bad for college hockey.
                          The flip side argument could be that professional sports could look very different (note articles about the AHL season cancellation), and all of a sudden getting a real education could be that much more important. I know it's a more ominous outlook that most families are probably not going through.
                          BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Originally posted by defkit View Post
                            The flip side argument could be that professional sports could look very different (note articles about the AHL season cancellation), and all of a sudden getting a real education could be that much more important. I know it's a more ominous outlook that most families are probably not going through.
                            That’s a very good point about the AHL. They have always been on financial thin ice and this upcoming season will/would have seen a significant decline in attendance. Spending a couple of years (junior and senior years) getting that degree will be more important. Also, the Canadians never put much of an emphasis on a college degree, so I’m not surprised about Reynolds going major junior.

Go Eagles!

Comment

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
                              That’s a very good point about the AHL. They have always been on financial thin ice and this upcoming season will/would have seen a significant decline in attendance. Spending a couple of years (junior and senior years) getting that degree will be more important. Also, the Canadians never put much of an emphasis on a college degree, so I’m not surprised about Reynolds going major junior.

Go Eagles!
                              1. Are you speculating that the AHL has "always been on financial thin ice", or do you have solid knowledge regarding their finances?

2. Is there a guarantee that MJ will play next fall? Why won't Canadian junior hockey face the same uncertainty as college hockey, at least concerning whether they'll be able to play a full or partial schedule?
                              if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                                1. Are you speculating that the AHL has "always been on financial thin ice", or do you have solid knowledge regarding their finances?

2. Is there a guarantee that MJ will play next fall? Why won't Canadian junior hockey face the same uncertainty as college hockey, at least concerning whether they'll be able to play a full or partial schedule?
                                In relation to your second item - I think it is fair to say that there could be a scenario where hockey that is unrelated to a college setting could be played, while collegiate hockey still wouldn't (I think I saw a headline where the NCAA said there would be no college sports played if students aren't on campus).
                                BU Hockey: The trophy case is once again growing

Comment

Working...
                                X