Collapse
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: BC Eagles 2020-21 - in memory of Steve Gerrish

Originally posted by Marshmont_63 View Post
    Ok, so I posted something similar to the below in the 2019-20 season thread but I wanted to bring it back up here so people can discuss it.

I'm very concerned about our depth next year. Sure, we will have some elite forwards in Hutsko, Boldy, and Newhook. We will also have a legit goalie in Knight, but I'm worried about forward depth and our defense. As of right now, the defense has only three players who have played college hockey: Karow, Helleson, and Warren. I like Helleson and Warren a lot and think they will be great four year guys, but it's a lot to ask them to lead the defense as sophomores. Karow is decent, but I'm not sure I feel comfortable with him playing big minutes as a top guy. As of right now, we have three freshmen defensemen coming in next season. Eamon Powell and Timmy Lovell should be very good four-year players, but they could struggle a bit next season as freshmen. Lovell is also only 5'6" so who knows how effective he'll be. Our seventh D-man right now will be Mitch Andres, who is simply not that good. We definitely need another D-man. I really hope the staff brings in a grad transfer. We desperately need it on the back end. The D-pairings are going to look something like this right now:

Karow - Helleson
    Warren - Powell
    Lovell - Agnew

Switching to offense, the top line will be elite. Newhook, Hardman, and Boldy will be a nightmare for opponents. After that, the second line should include Hutsko, McBain, and maybe one of the freshman. After that, I'm just not sure if we'll have the depth that we had this year to be able to compete for a national championship. I still think we'll be good on offense, but I just think we need more depth overall. I'd like to see the staff bring in a grad transfer. I was really hoping Tim Doherty from Maine was going to transfer here, but he ended up committing to Penn State. We only have 14 forwards for next season, so I think we'll definitely need to bring in at least one more in case of injuries. Here's what the forward lines could look like (I'm ignoring whether they play left wing, right wing, or center):

Hardman - Newhook - Boldy
    Hutsko - Ambrosio - McBain
    McLaughlin - Giles - Carreau
    Weight - Nesterenko - Posma

That would leave off Harrison Roy and Gentry Shamburger. The third and fourth lines are concerning to be quite honest, especially with Giles' injury history. Hopefully people chime in because I'd love to hear what other people think about next season.
    Knight and the first line can't have any off games

Comment

Originally posted by cridge View Post
      Knight and the first line can't have any off games
      I thought Ambrosia, Weight & Neitenko are all top end forwards? Hutsko, McLaughlin, McBain are going to be and awesome line. Yes, we will have 3 freshmen on D, but they are very good players. Andres is a decent defenseman and he will be 22 years old. There is room for a couple of transfers if the scholarship money is available. With the new transfer rules we could get a transfer in any class. Every team is losing key players. BC will be a top 5 team next season.

Go Eagles!

Comment

Originally posted by eaglekeeper View Post
        I thought Ambrosia, Weight & Neitenko are all top end forwards? Hutsko, McLaughlin, McBain are going to be and awesome line. Yes, we will have 3 freshmen on D, but they are very good players. Andres is a decent defenseman and he will be 22 years old. There is room for a couple of transfers if the scholarship money is available. With the new transfer rules we could get a transfer in any class. Every team is losing key players. BC will be a top 5 team next season.

Go Eagles!
        I would love to see a line of Jack McBain-Marc McLaughlin-Patrick Giles. All three are big; know how to play defense; could be pitted against the opposition's top line; are decent enough offensively; and would be a nightmare to defend in the opponent's offensive zone when they get the puck.

Their top five forwards should be (in no particular order) Alex Newhook, Logan Hutsko, Matt Boldy, Mike Hardman and Colby Ambrosio. Danny Weight or Nikita Nesterenko would be the sixth man. And, yes, I believe those three freshmen are pretty equal, high-caliber forwards. This should spread out the scoring enough, so as the opponent can't key in on one line. Paired with the big 3rd line I mentioned above, should give BC three solid lines. If the Eagles get into a pinch late in the game where they need a goal, they can have Newhook center Boldy and Hutsko. Boldy is primarily a passer, while Hutsko loves to shoot the puck. Newhook does both equally well.

Not sure about the defense, but I did love Marshall Warren and Drew Helleson last season. Theoretically, both should get better. Not only because of their own development, but also because they are playing against players who are not quite as good as last year (opposing seniors who have graduated and elite underclassmen who signed).

I wouldn't be surprised if Henry Wilder plays 6-8 games next year. They can't rely on Spencer Knight to play as well as he did, as often as he did again.

Comment

Originally posted by Boston22 View Post
          I would love to see a line of Jack McBain-Marc McLaughlin-Patrick Giles. All three are big; know how to play defense; could be pitted against the opposition's top line; are decent enough offensively; and would be a nightmare to defend in the opponent's offensive zone when they get the puck.

Their top five forwards should be (in no particular order) Alex Newhook, Logan Hutsko, Matt Boldy, Mike Hardman and Colby Ambrosio. Danny Weight or Nikita Nesterenko would be the sixth man. And, yes, I believe those three freshmen are pretty equal, high-caliber forwards. This should spread out the scoring enough, so as the opponent can't key in on one line. Paired with the big 3rd line I mentioned above, should give BC three solid lines. If the Eagles get into a pinch late in the game where they need a goal, they can have Newhook center Boldy and Hutsko. Boldy is primarily a passer, while Hutsko loves to shoot the puck. Newhook does both equally well.

Not sure about the defense, but I did love Marshall Warren and Drew Helleson last season. Theoretically, both should get better. Not only because of their own development, but also because they are playing against players who are not quite as good as last year (opposing seniors who have graduated and elite underclassmen who signed).

I wouldn't be surprised if Henry Wilder plays 6-8 games next year. They can't rely on Spencer Knight to play as well as he did, as often as he did again.
          Wilder is a terrific goalie and he will definitely get 6-8 games. With the new transfer rules, BC will pick up good players who want to be on a team that can win a Natty. This will help replace the one and two year players who move onto the NHL.

Go Eagles!

Comment

I'm not seeing the forward depth concern. Defense is the question mark. In fact, even with 4 seniors on D this past season, that was my biggest concern. How that group comes together will determine how far they can go as a team.

Hutsko, Newhook, Boldy, Hardman, McBain, McLaughlin...that is a very strong nucleus to go along with 3 very good forwards they are bringing in.

Newhook should be a legit Hobey candidate. That goes a long, long way. So maybe they have a weaker 4th line than they did this year but that will not be what holds them back.

Comment

Originally posted by J.D. View Post
              I'm not seeing the forward depth concern. Defense is the question mark. In fact, even with 4 seniors on D this past season, that was my biggest concern. How that group comes together will determine how far they can go as a team.

Hutsko, Newhook, Boldy, Hardman, McBain, McLaughlin...that is a very strong nucleus to go along with 3 very good forwards they are bringing in.

Newhook should be a legit Hobey candidate. That goes a long, long way. So maybe they have a weaker 4th line than they did this year but that will not be what holds them back.
              You’re right that offensive depth probably will be sufficient for a national championship run, but as I’ve said before, the defense is concerning. Give me one good grad transfer defenseman, and I’d feel a lot better about our chances at a natty. We simply can’t roll with only 7 D-men with our seventh being Mitch Andres. We’ll get eaten up on the backend. Plus, one injury will be devastating. I think the staff will bring in someone though. Also, the NCAA transfer rule may not go into effect for this upcoming season.

Comment

We will be good for sure with lots of firepower up front. Need to keep the roster intact and hope that we will have recovered sufficiently to have a season. I am concerned about a potential rebound once we have it seemingly have it "under control" . Wonder how the post goal celebrations will change, will fans be sitting 6 feet apart.

Comment

If there is a next season it may start just after New Years up in Hanover, NH. BC, Northeastern and Miami reportedly joining Dartmouth for the Ledyard Classic. BC likely to play both Miami and Dartmouth as it is a scheduled two game tournament not a winner vs. winner second night. Good option in these times with minimal travel for a tournament.

Comment

https://docs.google.com/spreadsheets...gid=1466169803

According to Chris Heisenberg's 2021 list, Steve Davis, Tim Lovell and Jack Agnew won't be at Boston College until the Fall of 2021. So the Eagles now only have Michael Karow, Drew Helleson, Marshall Warren, Mitch Andres and Eamon Powell. They will be playing with five defensemen every game? This doesn't make sense. But Heisenberg is usually up-to-date on most everything. Does anyone have any info on the defensemen for this upcoming season?

Comment

Almost certain Lovell is coming this year. I would expect Agnew as well. He'll turn 19 in October.

Comment

I believe all three are coming.

Comment

Which would give you the same # of dmen they had this year

Comment

Heisenberg's 2021 site has been changed since I looked at it this morning. Lovell and Agnew are not on it so must be coming in the fall. Davis still listed as coming in 21.
                            They can still use another defenseman and another forward.

Comment

Lovell and Agnew are coming this year. I highly doubt Stephen Davis will be here this Fall. He struggled this past season and definitely needs at least one more year in the USHL. For anyone who is interested in seeing a projected future rosters chart, you can follow me on twitter (@Marshmont_63), and I’d be happy to share it with you. I do my best to track all the recruits we have committed in the coming years.

Comment

If not Davis I would expect at least a walk on as a #8 dman.

Comment

Working...
                                X