Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
    Has anyone's local schools pulled the plug on the year yet?

Sitting in a really weird position with my High School baseball schedule right now. Schools have only cancelled through 04/03/20. Some individual districts have gone till 04/10/20.

At this point I don't see how any public entity is willing to take on any sort of liability related to this. I get the wait and see apprach, but at the same time its not hard to see the writing on the wall with this...
    Probably close to it in Alaska, schools are closed until May 1st here.

All remaining HS sports got cancelled already, I’m losing a bit of income from no HS soccer season.
    U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
    Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
    I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
    But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
    Originally posted by Doyle Woody
    Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Oh, look, the idiot education secretary is part of Dump's Virus Liar Presser tonight.
      **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
      Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

YOu know, I was thinking about how this COVID-19 battle is playing out and it struck me in a conversation with a friend last night, these doctors and nurses are doing more than anyone has ever done for our country.

We know the grim statistics on COVID. It's very infectious. 50-100% more contagious than influenza. But it also hides in your system for up to two weeks. You can't know if you've caught it and are already contagious. Symptoms progress fairly slowly and significantly overlap with other common seasonal RSVs. Many people who get it describe it as the most sick they've ever been. It takes weeks to recover. 10-25% are hospitalized. 2-6% are put in the ICU requiring invasive ventilation, which can cause injuries itself. Depending on an infinite number of factors, the overall CFR of 1-4%.

These doctors and nurses are going into battle without adequate PPE. They are risking their lives every day knowing the statistics and seeing every day what their future might hold.

But something else struck me that makes what they're doing particularly courageous. More so than the police and even soldiers, who receive such patriotic adoration in this country. Deservedly so. None of them are risking their families' lives by going into battle or responding to a call. They don't have to worry about putting their wife on the battlefield or having their kids in the car when they get a call for a robbery. These doctors and nurses are doing just that. With something they can't see and don't know if they have it. They're wearing garbage bags and handkerchiefs knowing it's entirely inadequate and likely exposing them. They could die from this, 50 plus already have in Italy. But they're also risking their families lives. But they go in, sacrifice their bodies every day to the point of collapse. Pictures of doctors and nurses who have worn their faces raw, bleeding, from PPE having to wear it for such prolonged periods.

That is some next level courage there.

We put up grand monuments to our soldiers who went into battle and died. Maybe it's time to put one up for those who went in and died for the nation on our own soil.
        Code:
        As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
        College Hockey 6       College Football 0
        BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
        Originally posted by SanTropez
        May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
        Originally posted by bigblue_dl
        I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
        Originally posted by Kepler
        When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
        He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

Sitting in a really weird position with my High School baseball schedule right now. Schools have only cancelled through 04/03/20. Some individual districts have gone till 04/10/20.

At this point I don't see how any public entity is willing to take on any sort of liability related to this. I get the wait and see approach, but at the same time its not hard to see the writing on the wall with this...
          Colleges did this incremental thing only when their hands were called due to Spring break. It is stupid. Sort of like pulling the band aid off a airy leg, one hair at a time. No one who has looked into this at all can believe it will be safe to do anything before mid summer. Starting to look like longer due to the intransigence from some of the knuckle dragging States who are insisting on doing things that assure spread.

Not quoting because I forgot to check off the little boxes- agree with Kep re what the Rube is posting. Being realistic doesn't mean you think it is OK. Facts don't lie. We have to face there are going to be a lot of deaths and a lot of critically ill- not because it is ok but because there are enough people who, for whatever reason, are not doing things that would help make it better. .

It is magical thinking to believe we will be successful in flattening the curve as much as we could. As Dr Fauci said some time in the last few days [paraphrased] we cannot use models looking at our country as a whole and compare it to other countries. It is not realistic. We are not one country. We do not have a cohesive approach. It is like dealing with many, many countries and those countries keep changing approaches. You can look at the models in small area but you need to take into consideration the effect of the surrounding areas.

Ex-Our governor has been fairly proactive. We live a few miles from the state border. The state next to us just figured out they should do things we were doing a few weeks ago. Today our Gov said if you come into the state then self quarantine for 14 days. Where I live people cross border to work, shop, do a bunch of things daily. Nice thought but now there are jokes all over about what it means for the folks who work across the border, etc. Meanwhile those people were exposed to other people who were exposed to other people.....

Dr Fauci and Trevor Noah- I love Trevor Noah!
          https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=8A3jiM2FNR8

Comment

• Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post

At this point I don't see how any public entity is willing to take on any sort of liability related to this. I get the wait and see apprach, but at the same time its not hard to see the writing on the wall with this...
            Right now we are remote through the end of April but I think remote learning for the rest of the school year is likely. I have a teacher friend in Vermont and she is done for the year.

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
              Jesus...
              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Ok, so I'm not being paranoid for thinking that school is done for the year. All my baseball gear is just sitting in a pile since it was ready to go for College games at the end of February, but then put aside in the beginning of March. Thought about it today because I had to get around it for some other stuff. I just find it weird that IL schools have not thrown in the towel with after school activities, let alone school in general for the year. Seems like this virus will be floating around in significant numbers until June 1 at best and indefinitely at worst. We seem to be one of the slower states to call it.
                It's never too early to start the Pre-game festivities

Go Cats!!! GO BLACKHAWKS!

Cuck the Fubs... Let's Go WHITE SOX!!!

Wildcat Born, Wildcat Bred....

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                  Jesus...
                  Yeah, remember when Obama did this?

Would love to hear one republican here admit this is terrible behavior but it’s probably less likely than dump going a full hour without lying

Comment

Originally posted by RaceBoarder View Post
                    Ok, so I'm not being paranoid for thinking that school is done for the year. All my baseball gear is just sitting in a pile since it was ready to go for College games at the end of February, but then put aside in the beginning of March. Thought about it today because I had to get around it for some other stuff. I just find it weird that IL schools have not thrown in the towel with after school activities, let alone school in general for the year. Seems like this virus will be floating around in significant numbers until June 1 at best and indefinitely at worst. We seem to be one of the slower states to call it.
                    Listening to the conversation at the college level it was like pulling teeth. People who got it and those who just couldn't live with the reality so they gave in tiny bits at a time. They are still talking about maybe going back to school here on May 4 and letting the kids try a really short season. No one who is following this thinks it is the slightest bit possible but no one has the gonads to just say it

Comment

Yeah, remember when Obama did this?

Would love to hear one republican here admit this is terrible behavior but it’s probably less likely than dump going a full hour without lying
                      They will talk about h1n1 and how Obama let people die...been doing it on Twitter for over a week.

Fine by me he is handing Michigan to Biden...
                      "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                      -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                      -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                      -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

• Originally posted by Handyman View Post
                        They will talk about h1n1 and how Obama let people die...been doing it on Twitter for over a week.

Fine by me he is handing Michigan to Biden...
                        Someone on gpl is suggesting China engineered it . Yikes

Comment

Harvard laid off its dining room workers; there was a petition and a threat by their unionized workers. Harvard caved and will pay everyone through the end of the year.

Unions work.
                          Cornell University
                          National Champion 1967, 1970
                          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                            YOu know, I was thinking about how this COVID-19 battle is playing out and it struck me in a conversation with a friend last night, these doctors and nurses are doing more than anyone has ever done for our country.

We know the grim statistics on COVID. It's very infectious. 50-100% more contagious than influenza. But it also hides in your system for up to two weeks. You can't know if you've caught it and are already contagious. Symptoms progress fairly slowly and significantly overlap with other common seasonal RSVs. Many people who get it describe it as the most sick they've ever been. It takes weeks to recover. 10-25% are hospitalized. 2-6% are put in the ICU requiring invasive ventilation, which can cause injuries itself. Depending on an infinite number of factors, the overall CFR of 1-4%.

These doctors and nurses are going into battle without adequate PPE. They are risking their lives every day knowing the statistics and seeing every day what their future might hold.

But something else struck me that makes what they're doing particularly courageous. More so than the police and even soldiers, who receive such patriotic adoration in this country. Deservedly so. None of them are risking their families' lives by going into battle or responding to a call. They don't have to worry about putting their wife on the battlefield or having their kids in the car when they get a call for a robbery. These doctors and nurses are doing just that. With something they can't see and don't know if they have it. They're wearing garbage bags and handkerchiefs knowing it's entirely inadequate and likely exposing them. They could die from this, 50 plus already have in Italy. But they're also risking their families lives. But they go in, sacrifice their bodies every day to the point of collapse. Pictures of doctors and nurses who have worn their faces raw, bleeding, from PPE having to wear it for such prolonged periods.

We put up grand monuments to our soldiers who went into battle and died. Maybe it's time to put one up for those who went in and died for the nation on our own soil.
                            Very well put. What they are doing cannot be understated.

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                            Saw that. He seems...special.
                            Jordan Kawaguchi for Hobey!!
                            Originally posted by Quizmire
                            mns, this is why i love you.

Originally posted by Markt
                            MNS - forking genius.

Originally posted by asterisk hat
                            MNS - sometimes you gotta answer your true calling. I think yours is being a pimp.

Originally posted by hockeybando
                            I am a fan of MNS.

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              They have been saying that for awhile. It was one of the balloons floated to deflect off the Dump not responding quickly enough
                              Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

This is an excellent post. Can't rep but real rep is owed.

Comment

Yeah I didn't even look at that thread...
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X