Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
    My primary grievance, if you want to call it that, has been with the large and wild guesses everyone throws around about how many people will be infected and how many people will die because of this. It only causes harm and misinformation, it doesn't help.
    Unfortunately, emotional speculation is something most of us engage in when we're stressed. Still, if overestimating the effects of this disease causes people to take social distancing more seriously, then it is likely doing more good than harm.

Comment

Piggybacking on dxā€™s post about Hawaii, Alaska has mandated a two-week quarantine for anyone who comes from outside the state. No SIP order yet though Anchorage has issued a ā€œhunker downā€ order and the state has closed schools and restaurants until May. Rural legislators are practically begging for a SIP order to stop the spread to rural villages (who have s-ty health care).
      U-A-A!!!Go!Go!GreenandGold!
      Applejack Tells You How UAA Is Doing...
      I spell Failure with UAF

Originally posted by UAFIceAngel
      But let's be real...There are 40 some other teams and only two alaskan teams...the day one of us wins something big will be the day I transfer to UAA
      Originally posted by Doyle Woody
      Best sign by a visting Seawolf fan Friday went to a young man who held up a piece of white poster board that read: "YOU CAN'T SPELL FAILURE WITHOUT UAF."

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
        On the "dying" part of your post...people will die. A lot of people. I hate that this is a fact, but I have accepted it. Do I want that? Hell no. But I cannot really change that fact, and you can't either. It sucks.
        Why accept preventable deaths???? Why?

We have two very clear paths- interrupt and prevent so that the actual deaths is pretty small, or half *** at and let the actual deaths be high. Why choose high when there's a low choice??? It's also one thing to accept the abstract concept that people will die, but it's totally another when you ask the exact same question to your family and friends- which ones of those are you willing to let go?

There are tons of laws on the books that prevent a lot of huge $$ made to save a small part of the public via preventable deaths. How is this different??

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          He has the Defense Production Act to do this. Does he not know? I mean, of course he doesn't know, but do the idiots around him n--. Never mind.
          Cornell University
          National Champion 1967, 1970
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Oh really, dumb ****s? You had a chance to severely lessen this and you sat around and screamed hoax.

ā€œ Dr. Scott Gottlieb, President Trump's former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner, is warning that the coronavirus epidemic in the United States is "likely to be national in scope."

"Iā€™m worried about emerging situations in New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, among others. In China no province outside Hubei ever had more than 1,500 cases. In U.S. 11 states already hit that total."

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
              Why accept preventable deaths???? Why?

We have two very clear paths- interrupt and prevent so that the actual deaths is pretty small, or half *** at and let the actual deaths be high. Why choose high when there's a low choice??? It's also one thing to accept the abstract concept that people will die, but it's totally another when you ask the exact same question to your family and friends- which ones of those are you willing to let go?

There are tons of laws on the books that prevent a lot of huge $$ made to save a small part of the public via preventable deaths. How is this different??
              Because everyone reacted so late, there will be deaths that are not preventable. Again, I don't like that fact, but I've accepted it. They either can't get help, or won't get help. Even worse, their body cannot deal with it whatsoever and their body just shuts down before they even have a chance to get help.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

• Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                Because everyone reacted so late, there will be deaths that are not preventable. Again, I don't like that fact, but I've accepted it. They either can't get help, or won't get help. Even worse, their body cannot deal with it whatsoever and their body just shuts down before they even have a chance to get help.
                One thing you can do is vote for candidates who are not of the party that thinks public health is a joke and a hoax

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
                  I can't speak for everyone, but I will speak for myself.

First, I tend to believe that the number of people who get this will be similar whether we undertake mitigation or not. Mitigation simply affects the timing of when they get it, and as has been pointed out, that may have a significant impact on healthcare for those people.

I don't think I'm alone in this regard. Even Governor Walz, with all of his charts that he used during Wednesday's speech, seemed to indicate that between 2 and 2.5 million people in Minnesota will get this disease whether we stay at home or not, and all he's trying to do is affect the timing.

Now, as many of you know, I tend to disagree with the estimates that 50-70% of us will get infected, either now or delayed due to mitigation. But that's simply my own personal skepticism. Right now we're all just guessing, and I'm guessing a lower number than people like Walz. I'm not even sure we'll ever find out who was right. But whatever that number is, I think it's going to occur with or without mitigation, the only question is how much can we slow it or spread it out.

I also think a number of people will die from it, and the number could be substantial. Does that mean I'm happy about it? Of course not. I think people will die of cancer, will die of heart disease, etc... Those are simple facts and I accept them. That doesn't mean I'm happy about them or that we should just "let them happen." But I acknowledge them as a fact of life.

I have also stated that if 50,000 or 100,000 or even, heaven forbid, a million people die from this virus, it is not end times. People die. We should try to prevent it if we can, but we're all ending up in the same place.
                  Here's the thing- we have two paths we can follow- S Korea or Italy.

In one case, X% of the population gets it, and 0.1% of them die. In that case, people who die of other reasons are not increased because the system is working properly.

In the other case, the same X% of the population gets it, but 3% of them die, and in addition to that- other forms of death spike due to the system not being able to care for them.

This isn't a guess, this is what exactly is happening in other parts of the world.

Why choose more deaths???? Seems to me that this country is so obsessed with money that it's the primary weighing factor when it comes to how we deal with it. Which is kind of sad- if I were told to come back to work so that I can make $15/hr so that my isolated managers and owners can make huge dollars, it would certainly make me pause and ask if it's really worth it.

Yes, we don't have exact numbers of how many people will be infected, nor the final death rate. But to sit back and pretend that there's nothing we can do about it when we see REAL effects of efforts around the world, and then accept the abstract idea that just more people are going to die is pretty short sighted.

There'e more to life than to just make a buck.

Comment

I'll be curious as to what level of effect the shuttering of "non-essential" businesses is really having. It seems most businesses in most states are being deemed "essential." Many of the orders the various governors have issued have similar or even identical language. Wisconsin's order even states that in the "extraordinary circumstance" your business is NOT listed among the essential ones that can remain open, you should seek out the opinion of state officials who will assist you in determining if in fact you could stay open for business.

I have union members in 3 different states and not a single one has been furloughed as a result. A few have been offered the opportunity to stay home for the duration (none of my members can work from home), but other than using up earned paid-time-off, it would be without pay if it is their choice. Many will be eligible for unemployment insurance if their employer sends them home. But again, not a single one has had their business closed and of employers in 13 different locations, only one does work that I think it remotely critical to maintaining any necessary infrastructure.

I realize a huge number of people have seen their employment disrupted or ended by this, and for them that sucks. But if we're really interested in social distancing and "safer at home" measures, what we're doing as far as employment does not seem to be nearly enough. Some of these governors of course know if they go as far as they probably should their legislatures, many benefitting from overwhelmingly gerrymandered republican super majorities, will scream bloody murder and moan about the effect on the economy. Well, if 20% of the workforce is going to be shut down anyway, we're in for a wild economic ride no matter what. You may as well actually make it effective. We should have had a nationwide shutdown 3 weeks ago of virtually all work. Had that happened, I bet trump's wet dream about Easter might have actually been possible.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                      So does that mean you 100% accept not being able to take any help for you and ALL of your family if any of you get sick? We are not talking the family members you don't get along with, but the ones you love the most. Stop thinking in the abstract and back to the real.

Other people are not willing to go that far.

And there is still more we can do.

Comment

The "essential" thing is kind of a joke. As I've said before, it's Social Distancing Double Secret Probation. A wagging finger saying "we really mean it!" That's about it.
                        Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by alfablue View Post
                          So does that mean you 100% accept not being able to take any help for you and ALL of your family if any of you get sick? We are not talking the family members you don't get along with, but the ones you love the most. Stop thinking in the abstract and back to the real.

Other people are not willing to go that far.

And there is still more we can do.
                          You are missing my point. Because of this massive fail on PPE/tests/etc, deaths will happen. If it happened to someone in my family, and there was no way to help them, I'd accept it, because I'd have no other choice. Again, it SUCKS. I DO NOT LIKE THAT ONE BIT.

It's one thing to accept, it's a whole different thing to approve.

Comment

So wait...now we DO need vents? Huh...
                            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Oh really, dumb ****s? You had a chance to severely lessen this and you sat around and screamed hoax.

ā€œ Dr. Scott Gottlieb, President Trump's former Food and Drug Administration Commissioner, is warning that the coronavirus epidemic in the United States is "likely to be national in scope."

"Iā€™m worried about emerging situations in New Orleans, Dallas, Atlanta, Miami, Detroit, Chicago, Philadelphia, among others. In China no province outside Hubei ever had more than 1,500 cases. In U.S. 11 states already hit that total."
                              Welcome to a month ago you waste of carbon.
                              "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                              -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                              -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                              -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I hope a lot of campaigns ads come out showing the scenes in NYC and emphasizing how many republicans and their brain dead followers were still downplaying it

Comment

Working...
                                X