Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Just heard an item on the radio that will be a shock to all, but in Milwaukee County in Wisconsin, everyone on record so far who has died from COVID-19 was black. As of yesterday, 565 confirmed cases and 5 deaths. Who would have thought POC would end up being hit hardest? Milwaukee County is only 60% white.

As of yesterday Wisconsin has tested about 17,500 and about 1100 have been confirmed positive, a little over 6%. Last week it had been holding steady at about a positive 5.8% rate. Just over 1% of the confirmed positives have died. The number of positives doubled over the last 4 days. Obviously some of that is more testing being conducted and results coming back. At this point it seems the numbers of confirmed cases and number of tests performed are more and more meaningless if we can't find a way to systematically test people with no symptoms. We need to see how widespread this has become and how easy (or difficult hopefully) it is to spread it to someone if you are asymptomatic.

If only there was some way we could have seen this coming in January.

Comment

Originally posted by WeAreNDHockey View Post
      Just heard an item on the radio that will be a shock to all, but in Milwaukee County in Wisconsin, everyone on record so far who has died from COVID-19 was black. As of yesterday, 565 confirmed cases and 5 deaths. Who would have thought POC would end up being hit hardest? Milwaukee County is only 60% white.
      Could be SSS, but .4 ^ 5 = 1% so, yeah, suspicious.

I'm certain we're giving standards of care based on wealth and race because 'Murica.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
        Can't you get delivery?

Edit: Ah. Try signing up at midnight. That's when one of the local stores opens up deliveries.
        Midnight is when Whole Foods tends to be the most "open" to delivery set up.
        "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
        -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
        -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
        -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
          This is a couple days old but thought I would post it anyway. Didn't hear about this at the press conference.

I posted that Friday. Amazing what real leadership can do
          "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
          -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
          -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
          -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Scarlet View Post
            That's bull. I've been looking online daily and cannot go any more to random stores only to find out there's nothing. At least there's nothing here in Massachusetts.

Why is there a shortage? I get that hospitals, etc. are the first place these supplies should go but what I want to know is there something that is keeping these items from easily being re-stocked? Is it a shortage of one of the items? Or something like that. I cannot find any information anywhere. I have a supply but the longer this goes, the more I'm going to stress about my supply. I don't plan to hoard but I will need to replenish soon.
            There may be a shortage because people are wiping down groceries. If you're high risk, I guess I understand, but all the evidence is that getting it from contact on surfaces is low probability. And yet, people spend 2 hours cleaning their groceries. Wipe manufacturers have never seen that kind of demand.

My house may look as if we've hoarded sanitizer. We have 2 32 oz pumps that are at least half full, but we bought those last May when we had a newborn in the house and insisted people use it before touching the baby.
            Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
            wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
            7 B1G, 7 CCHA (all except St Thomas), 6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU), 5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont), 5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson), 2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT), 2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              Could be SSS, but .4 ^ 5 = 1% so, yeah, suspicious.

I'm certain we're giving standards of care based on wealth and race because 'Murica.
              I was told there would be no math. I'm too math stupid to even know if that is math...
              As further evidence that the numbers might mean something or they might mean nothing, in Indiana, the totals are wildly different. The population in IN is about 15% greater than WI but Indiana has performed far fewer tests (11600 versus 17500 in WI) and nearly 2% of the confirmed positive tests have resulted in death (35 of 1786 confirmed positives). Because the virus has no idea where the state lines are, we needed one overarching, federally supported approach to testing and treatment, with some varying approaches geographically depending on what the testing was revealing. To bad our federal government is being led by somebody exponentially dumber than I am.

Comment

Evidently on Sunday Dump said something on the order of, "dying is a difficult thing to go through."

He's not wrong.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

So NO is teeming with cases and churches in LA are telling people to stay home.

Kidding, of course they aren’t.

“ A massive crowd of about 500 people attended Sunday services at a church in Louisiana this weekend while hundreds of others attended different services in Flordia, as churches ignore bans on public gatherings during the coronavirus pandemic: “In a time of national crisis, we expect certain institutions to be open and certain people to be on duty...The Church is another one of those essential services."

https://thehill.com/blogs/blog-brief...XeWL5_pCvN-eK0

Comment

I'm sure God will get right on that.

In all seriousness, it would not surprise me if infection/death rates and religiosity directly correlate by the end of this. How many dense, large clusters of people are still forming besides religious observance? Hospitalization itself. Mass transit. Anything else?
                    Last edited by Kepler; 03-30-2020, 11:24 AM.
                    Cornell University

Comment

So, co-worker called me, said his wife, who is a nurse (working with non-coronavirus patients because she's pregnant), had a co-worker test positive for Coronavirus on Sunday.

His wife had no contact with this co-worker, other than shared work space (obviously being a hospital), and they won't test his wife until/unless she starts showing symptoms.

I worked with the coworker together last week surveying outside (but had minimal contact at most all week).

I'm four steps removed from this, but could be directly impacted. What a ****ing nightmare.
                      “Demolish the bridges behind you… then there is no choice but to build again.”

Live Radio from 100.3

Comment

There video of a Catholic Church in south St. Paul Minnesota with care lined up and priest going from car to car, putting Eucharist in peoples mouths without changing gloves.

I hope they all fight this from their homes and leave the hospitals to the people with brains

Comment

Comment

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

I love these bored announcers finding events to call.

https://twitter.com/DanHicksNBC/stat...47490029563904
                              PSNetwork / XBOX GamerTag: xJeris
                              Steam Profile

Sports Allegiance
                              NFL: CHI; MLB: MN, NYM; NHL: MN, MTL; NCAAB: MN, UNLV; NCAAF: MN, MIA; NCAAH: MN; Soccer: USA, Blackburn

Comment

Well played Earth...
                                -aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Working...
                                X