Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
    Where did I remotely suggest he declare martial law? And I just freaking said he can't shut down public transit, but they can initiate measures that would restrict it to essential travelers such as police, medical staff, bankers, etc. I don't care that I'm in another country - steps are being taking and it didn't require martial law to accomplish it. You are wrong he can't do more and if you believe otherwise have it at. But don't treat me like I'm some dumb****** orc because God forbid I ask a legitimate question. You love to admonish rufus for going off on Rube and now you're doing the same thing.
    Ok you two. Back in your corners. Pretty sure you want the same thing.

Said this last night and will say it again- until we have some sort of national narrative that encourages a reasonable, scientifically based approach there is nothing anyone can do that is completely going to work. You have the Orange Offal threatening the equivalent of Marshall law but at the same time saying it isn't that bad, telling people to stay home but go out. Telling people if they don't have symptoms no big deal, having flyers mailed saying stay away from each other. His usual schtick of providing multiple conflicting soundbites and having false news create something coherent out of it is disastrous. He is like a pile of leaves in the wind. If you were another country trying to figure out how to lead us to disaster you would sit back and watch. He is a one man wrecking ball when it comes to any sort of effective response.

Because he is inept and we have the 'task force' more interested in wacking his willie than in doing something constructive we can't even hope to rely on the 'experts'. We have the woman masquerading as a Doc breaking the oath of do no harm as a matter of course. We have others who are not qualified and not viewed as trustworthy. WIth no national leadership we have 10s of thousands of little fiefdoms. Governors saying stay in and others ordering people not to. People on all levels picking what they want to hear and where they are hearing it from. Look on here- we have people posting foolish, foolish stuff from junk sources and believing what they post. I am fairly well educated, have had a fascination with this topic since I was a kid, (so have read all sorts of things on previous epidemics), have been following closely from the beginning and I can't even begin to filter thru and keep up with everything coming out.

Meanwhile borders are porous. Every state, city, county has different sets of 'experts', rules, infrastructure in healthcare, food, etc. We do not have a society built around small clusters of shops that provide essential needs. People need to travel to get basic needs, work. To stop this you need to stop travel. If you stop travel you have no workers, supplies.

If you look at most of the places who have been successful they trust their leaders, their leaders lay out a plan that is implemented and it works because everyone is in it together. We got none of that.

Comment

BUT FLORIDA!!!

To be fair to NYC, if you lined up with proper distance for the subway the queue for the 7 line would run to Ontario.

4.5 million people ride the NY subway per day. All of New York City is just 300 square miles. There are 6.5 million people in Minnesota, which is 87 thousand square miles.
      Last edited by Kepler; 03-28-2020, 08:48 PM.
      Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Comparing nyc and Florida is just asinine. I’ve lived in the city, you can’t just shut down subway and expect hospital staff to get to work. Not many people there have a car.
        I’m not sure how you’d enforce social distancing on a platform, only thing i can think of is police only allowing essential workers but again easier said than done

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          Comparing nyc and Florida is just asinine. I’ve lived in the city, you can’t just shut down subway and expect hospital staff to get to work. Not many people there have a car.
          I’m not sure how you’d enforce social distancing on a platform, only thing i can think of is police only allowing essential workers but again easier said than done
          Like I just posted- not just how do the Healthcare people get to work. How many people have to travel to get food, meds, other supplies? There are a lot of places people have no place to get food unless they get on public transpo

Comment

• Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
            Like I just posted- not just how do the Healthcare people get to work. How many people have to travel to get food, meds, other supplies? There are a lot of places people have no place to get food unless they get on public transpo
            And getting to work and getting food is way different than the morons on the beach in Florida.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
              I was shocked by the bad behavior in the store I observed today because up until then everybody I've seen has been great. Even in stores that haven't marked out 6 foot dividers in lines people spontaneously queue up with distance.
              The half dozen places I hit up normally, all have sanitized after each transaction, including the door handle I used to walk in. A couple limit the number of persons in said establishment at one time, although when I have been there, that number wasn't a worry. Heck, some employees even APOLOGIZED for taking precautions, and I had to re-assure them that it was no problem at all, and thanked them for taking the extra measures.
              Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.
              Tastes like a warm summer day. -Raylan Givens

Comment

And getting to work and getting food is way different than the morons on the beach in Florida.
                Yup or the people I walked by today having a bonfire party in their back yard. People are stupid.

Forgot to say this- seeing a lot of NY cars while out on my walk (usually about 3-4 miles) Places with 4-5 cars from out of state all at one house. I live in a town on the NH border above a mid-sized city (midsized for here)

Comment

Originally posted by leswp1 View Post
                  Actually if you clear the streets then medical and logistics would be a dream in NYC. The street penetration is completely insane -- it's the best street-fed city in the world because it was built for trucks going to every back alley. Remove the 99% of the auto traffic that does not need to be in NY and the entire city could be supported by emergency vehicles. Just give them right of way over pedestrians and let the proles keep infecting each other on the subways.
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Dont you see...it is the same...cause...reasons?
                    "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                    -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                    -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                    -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Comparing nyc and Florida is just asinine.
                      It wasn't a direct comparison, it was noting that they are not doing enough to make a difference but are getting a free pass.

NYC doesn’t have traffic and transit cops? Would it be that difficult to:

1. Designate which types of businesses are deemed essential to remain operational
                      2. Communicate this list en masse to all proper authoritative bodies assigned to enforce
                      3. Require all employees of essential businesses to carry with them a Company ID, or Certificate of Employment provided by the employer on official company letterhead
                      4. Place traffic/transit cops at the entrances of all subway stations to validate essential work travel
                      5. Those requiring medical care would receive an authorization from the medical facility with date/time of their appointment/procedure also allowing them to travel via subway
                      6. Allow x # of days for all to implement said processes before employing enforcement

This wouldn’t be a 100% cure-all and I understand I'm not covering all bases above, but it would be a step in the right direction. They can do more than they have. This is not about blame btw it's about hoping for more.

And ******* off Handy.

Comment

I believe about 10% if nypd are out sick right now too..saw that figure a day or two ago. That’s gonna complicate things too.

Comment

It wasn't a direct comparison, it was noting that they are not doing enough to make a difference but are getting a free pass.

1. Designate which types of businesses are deemed essential to remain operational
                          2. Communicate this list en masse to all proper authoritative bodies assigned to enforce
                          3. Require all employees of essential businesses to carry with them a Company ID, or Certificate of Employment provided by the employer on official company letterhead
                          4. Place traffic/transit cops at the entrances of all subway stations to validate essential work travel
                          5. Those requiring medical care would receive an authorization from the medical facility with date/time of their appointment/procedure also allowing them to travel via subway
                          6. Allow x # of days for all to implement said processes before employing enforcement

This wouldn’t be a 100% cure-all and I understand I'm not covering all bases above, but it would be a step in the right direction. They can do more than they have. This is not about blame btw it's about hoping for more.

And ******* off Handy.
                          One flaw:

I'm getting groceries, don't have a car.

Could be truth, could be a lie. Dunno.
                          Never really developed a taste for tequila. Kind of hard to understand how you make a drink out of something that sharp, inhospitable. Now, bourbon is easy to understand.

Comment

Originally posted by The Rube View Post
                            One flaw:

I'm getting groceries, don't have a car.

Could be truth, could be a lie. Dunno.
                            Maybe. There are no neighborhood grocers?

Or what about this then - limit the # of people allowed into a subway entrance every x # of minutes. Smarter heads could determine that threshold. For instance the larger grocery store near me only allows 200 people in at a time. Once they hit that #, 1 person can enter for every 1 person that leaves. No martial law just common freaking sense.

And no Handy smartest man in the room Man this is not a direct comparison. I realize there are much more difficult logistical needs to enforce something like this than gaining access to a grocery store, I am simply thinking outside the box and asking is there really absolutely nothing more than can be done short of martial law?

Comment

Maybe. There are no neighborhood grocers?

Or what about this then - limit the # of people allowed into a subway entrance every x # of minutes. Smarter heads could determine that threshold. For instance the larger grocery store near me only allows 200 people in at a time. Once they hit that #, 1 person can enter for every 1 person that leaves. No martial law just common freaking sense.

And no Handy smartest man in the room Man this is not a direct comparison. I realize there are much more difficult logistical needs to enforce something like this than gaining access to a grocery store, I am simply thinking outside the box and asking is there really absolutely nothing more than can be done short of martial law?
                              There are some stores and restaurants that are limiting number of people inside at one time, in my 'hood.

Comment

And ******* off Handy.
                                Yes. Number one on the list before deciding anything is needing everyone at the top to buy in and agree on course of action- even in the best places that is proving difficult. (And if they do have a good plan the orange offal denigrates them and encourages people not to buy in)

-Trying to find people to agree on what is essential is like trying to get 10 people to agree on one verse in the Bible. By now everyone has experts and they all have their pet theories. And then we have the people who think money is essential and politicians cave to them.
                                - where the hell are you getting all those cops? They are already understaffed.
                                - are you barricading all routes in and out? Because in our area we have people crossing borders all the time.
                                - there are a lot of moving parts- Our system is decentralized and all about making money. It isn't about making sure we get things to people, it is about coercing people to go to them. - Shutting down things is right but we have no systems in place that are centralized. Many people have a jigsaw puzzle network to make things work- Now we have told people they can't rely on their personal social net and we have nothing to replace it- workers have kids- where do you put them? How do you get people food, medicine, other necessities? how do they get there? People need to travel for all these things.

Comment

Working...
                                X