Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    It's fine to accept there will be deaths, but it's wrong to say nothing could've been done. Many of those deaths may have been preventable with a quicker and broader federal response.
    Didn’t you know, only dem presidents are expected to respond and save lives and will get railed if they don’t.

Comment

• Re: Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Originally posted by ScoobyDoo View Post
      Just imagine if we had had policies and procedures in place to deal with this AND we had kicked all the protocols in as soon as it was discovered in China. The impact would have been so much less.
      In other words, imagine Hillary wins the election.

There will be many excess deaths solely due to Dump winning. The tragedy is many of them will be Democrats. The comedy is many of them will be Republicans.

Cornell University
      National Champion 1967, 1970
      ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
      Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by SJHovey View Post
        I'm not even sure we'll ever find out who was right.
        If and when we get ahead of this, we will be able to check population serology and determine the extent of exposure. With information on the front lines, I suspect we have had community spread for sometime and that the actual numbers right now active infections/recoveries are a gross underestimate due our incompetence with testing.

Deaths are also likely underestimated due to tracking issues mentioned by others. I suspect we missed a lot of deaths early. I know of one prominent example that was blamed on seronegative influenza that was possibly/probably Covid-19. There is not clear guidance on what is the best thing to put in a death note...everyone eventually either dies from cardiac arrest or brain death, but that is not the "cause" in a majority of cases.
        In the immortal words of Jean Paul Sartre, 'Au revoir, gopher'.

Originally posted by burd
        I look at some people and I just know they do it doggy style. No way they're getting close to my kids.

Comment

I'm not even sure we'll ever find out who was right.
          Maybe, but we all know when you guys will admit it.
          Cornell University
          ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
          Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
            Yeah I like following Andy for information. He’s doing more work than Seema.
            I am not ripping Andy, I follow him too. But he has a propensity to sometimes clickbait. IMHO he did that here because his tweet doesnt exactly match up with the truth of the situation. (plus he kept it vague for a reason and it wasnt just to protect the hospital) He makes it easier for the MAGAytes to shout him down if he plays a little loose and in this case I dont think he needed to anyways.
            "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
            -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
            -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
            -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Norms are cute but force is the basis of social reality.

A Chinese government-backed property giant has secretly raided in bulk Australia’s supplies of masks, hand sanitiser, antibacterial wipes and essential medical supplies and shipped them back to China.

The Greenland Group, which manages high-end real estate projects in Sydney and Melbourne, proactively drained Australian supplies of anti-coronavirus equipment, The Sydney Morning Herald reported.

Three million surgical masks, 500,000 pairs of gloves and bulk supplies of sanitiser and wipes were bought up in Australia and other countries where Greenland operates.

While the bulk purchases and shipping were perfectly legitimate, the goods shipped in bulk to China include the very items that have been in short supply for Australian citizens as well as health professionals.

They were accumulated at Greenland’s Sydney headquarters and sent to China over weeks in January and February.

As coronavirus locked down Wuhan, the global Fortune 500 company put its normal work on hold and instructed staff in Australia, Canada, Turkey and elsewhere to source supplies.

Pallet loads of items including thermometers and 700,000 hazmat suits were sent to China, the Herald reported.

Greenland deployed its HR staff members, contract managers and others away from their desks to go out and amass as many of the items as possible.
              Cornell University

Comment

Updated totals:

553k worldwide
                US: 86k

New York is pushing 40k cases by far the leader in the clubhouse.
                "It's as if the Drumpf Administration is made up of the worst and unfunny parts of the Cleveland Browns, Washington Generals, and the alien Mon-Stars from Space Jam."
                -aparch

"Scenes in "Empire Strikes Back" that take place on the tundra planet Hoth were shot on the present-day site of Ralph Engelstad Arena."
                -INCH

Of course I'm a fan of the Vikings. A sick and demented Masochist of a fan, but a fan none the less.
                -ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                  and here is was going to be the soviets who bought the rope off the us to hang them with
                  a legend and an out of work bum look a lot alike, daddy.

Comment

I can't speak for everyone, but I will speak for myself.

First, I tend to believe that the number of people who get this will be similar whether we undertake mitigation or not. Mitigation simply affects the timing of when they get it, and as has been pointed out, that may have a significant impact on healthcare for those people.

I don't think I'm alone in this regard. Even Governor Walz, with all of his charts that he used during Wednesday's speech, seemed to indicate that between 2 and 2.5 million people in Minnesota will get this disease whether we stay at home or not, and all he's trying to do is affect the timing.

Now, as many of you know, I tend to disagree with the estimates that 50-70% of us will get infected, either now or delayed due to mitigation. But that's simply my own personal skepticism. Right now we're all just guessing, and I'm guessing a lower number than people like Walz. I'm not even sure we'll ever find out who was right. But whatever that number is, I think it's going to occur with or without mitigation, the only question is how much can we slow it or spread it out.

I also think a number of people will die from it, and the number could be substantial. Does that mean I'm happy about it? Of course not. I think people will die of cancer, will die of heart disease, etc... Those are simple facts and I accept them. That doesn't mean I'm happy about them or that we should just "let them happen." But I acknowledge them as a fact of life.

I have also stated that if 50,000 or 100,000 or even, heaven forbid, a million people die from this virus, it is not end times. People die. We should try to prevent it if we can, but we're all ending up in the same place.
                    About cancer and other diseases in the context of Covid. Several weeks ago, before many states adopted SIP, including Wisconsin, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was discovered as a result of other difficulties I was experiencing, which led to an ER visit and the testing that revealed the C. As is usually the case, they moved swiftly, and I have already had surgery and all the associated tissue testing. Things look good for me, and I appear to have dodged that bullet. I have reason to think the swift response by the hospital, the various labs and numerous experts was a factor, though I don't know that for sure. What I am saying is that the risk of allowing Covid to overwhelm the medical care system is not limited to Covid patients. In fact, I suspect the primary risk is the care providers' inability to timely respond to all the other life threatening acute care situations which they deal with every day and which are unrelated to Covid.

I know you were not ignoring that factor, Hovey--you are more logical than that--but my own anecdotal experience prompted me to point that out.

I haven't been following this thread closely to know whether this has been discussed at length, but another compelling but darker question is the herd-culling capacity of this pandemic and all the related ethical and existential questions. I think a lot of people are more than willing to just sit back and this natural disaster cull the weakest and most vulnerable from the herd.

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                      Maybe, but we all know when you guys will admit it.
                      I'm not certain there is going to be anything I'll need to admit.
                      That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Apparently these guys arent very happy Dr. Brix is misrepresenting their findings...

-aparch

-INCH

-ScoobyDoo 12/17/2007

Comment

Yeah. I find it fascinating that Trump found yet another woman to lie for him. It's mind boggling.
                          **NOTE: The misleading post above was brought to you by Reynold's Wrap and American Steeples, makers of Crosses.

Originally Posted by dropthatpuck-Scooby's a lost cause.
                          Originally Posted by First Time, Long Time-Always knew you were nothing but a troll.

Comment

Comment

Originally posted by burd View Post
                              About cancer and other diseases in the context of Covid. Several weeks ago, before many states adopted SIP, including Wisconsin, I was diagnosed with colon cancer. It was discovered as a result of other difficulties I was experiencing, which led to an ER visit and the testing that revealed the C. As is usually the case, they moved swiftly, and I have already had surgery and all the associated tissue testing. Things look good for me, and I appear to have dodged that bullet. I have reason to think the swift response by the hospital, the various labs and numerous experts was a factor, though I don't know that for sure. What I am saying is that the risk of allowing Covid to overwhelm the medical care system is not limited to Covid patients. In fact, I suspect the primary risk is the care providers' inability to timely respond to all the other life threatening acute care situations which they deal with every day and which are unrelated to Covid.

I know you were not ignoring that factor, Hovey--you are more logical than that--but my own anecdotal experience prompted me to point that out.

I haven't been following this thread closely to know whether this has been discussed at length, but another compelling but darker question is the herd-culling capacity of this pandemic and all the related ethical and existential questions. I think a lot of people are more than willing to just sit back and this natural disaster cull the weakest and most vulnerable from the herd.
                              I understand. I personally have had a surgery delayed. It won't kill me (it certainly shouldn't anyway) but I get that there are people who will be in car accidents who will be brought to hospitals that are stressed due to covid-19, and may not be able to get all the treatment they need.

I get all of that, and I've had no objection to the social distancing or stay at home orders.

My primary grievance, if you want to call it that, has been with the large and wild guesses everyone throws around about how many people will be infected and how many people will die because of this. It only causes harm and misinformation, it doesn't help.
                              That community is already in the process of dissolution where each man begins to eye his neighbor as a possible enemy, where non-conformity with the accepted creed, political as well as religious, is a mark of disaffection; where denunciation, without specification or backing, takes the place of evidence; where orthodoxy chokes freedom of dissent; where faith in the eventual supremacy of reason has become so timid that we dare not enter our convictions in the open lists, to win or lose.

Comment

Comment

Working...
                                X