Announcement

Collapse
No announcement yet.

Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: Covfefe-19: We're all getting $5/hour more in hazard pay!

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
    Did you ever see the John Oliver piece on coroners? If not, you should.
    Yeah, I almost replied to DGF with a comment about it, but whatever, I guess I can:

I assume these issues don't break down cleanly between red/blue states. I know most red states are screwed up anyways, but some seem to have somewhat of a brain. And several blue states have some pretty stupid rules/guidelines as well.

Is it a problem where MEs/coroners are too local and have to real standards? I know certainly they don't have federal standards but do most states have a standard at least?

I'm rambling.
    Code:
    As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
    College Hockey 6       College Football 0
    BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
    Originally posted by SanTropez
    May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
    Originally posted by bigblue_dl
    I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
    Originally posted by Kepler
    When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
    He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
      That can be tricky. That’s one of the single biggest impediments to health reporting globally.
      Here's one example:
      Nembro, in the province of Bergamo, is the town most hard hit in per capita terms by COVID-19. Currently the town has 31 deaths attributed to COVID-19. But when the two authors looked at the total number of deaths registered in the town in January, February and March and compared it to the average for that period in previous years they found the number was dramatically larger. 158 deaths have been registered in the town during that period this year compared to an average of 35 in previous years.

Comment

Originally posted by FadeToBlack&Gold View Post
        Did you ever see the John Oliver piece on coroners? If not, you should.
        Yes, that show was infuriating.

It's actually a running joke in mysteries written from the 30s through the 50s that the rural coroner is also the mayor / bank manager / fishing license granter. But it's still f-cking true and they're utterly incompetent.
        Cornell University
        National Champion 1967, 1970
        ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
        Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
          Of course that’s the case with many, but not all. I don’t know thr size and scope of where she works. I do know some smaller places don’t have huge pay and are hurting
          There are three centers in Kent County alone and the company has offices in at least 8 states.
          Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
          "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
          Patreon for exclusive writing content
          Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

• Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
            There are three centers in Kent County alone and the company has offices in at least 8 states.
            Ok, that’s not great.

Comment

Originally posted by jerphisch View Post
              I mean, that might be the only way to really measure this. We can get a halfway decent number of direct COVID deaths, but the real number includes people who just die at home, on the streets, etc. which may never be tested. But then there's the people who have chest pains, say they aren't going within a mile of an ER because of COVID, and are dead a day later.

You really have to look at the departure from norms to understand the real impact this is having. Preview: It's worse than we think right now. Especially with the fog of war that's going on in our ER battlefields.
              Code:
              May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
              He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                New Jersey tripled their rate of increase overnight. +727 yesterday. +2,474 today.
                I wonder if that is people going into the NYC field hospitals to get tested.

My high school LI friend has doctors in his family and he told me there is chronic under-reporting now because a COVID death triggers a **** ton of paperwork they have no time for. Good doctors are classifying correctly because they know the data is vital but there are a lot of underqualified / underskilled doctors in the NYC area, particularly in poor neighborhoods, and there is a ton of pressure for them to get through their backlog.

So it's like the software development problem: nobody ever documents because they don't think they have time, and then of course that means everything will take 100x longer to fix someday.
                Last edited by Kepler; 03-26-2020, 03:39 PM.
                Cornell University
                ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

• Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                  I mean, that might be the only way to really measure this. We can get a halfway decent number of direct COVID deaths, but the real number includes people who just die at home, on the streets, etc. which may never be tested. But then there's the people who have chest pains, say they aren't going within a mile of an ER because of COVID, and are dead a day later.

You really have to look at the departure from norms to understand the real impact this is having. Preview: It's worse than we think right now. Especially with the fog of war that's going on in our ER battlefields.
                  We won’t get an accurate count , but we can approximate. That’s here. Now image African nations with worse infrastructure

Comment

• Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                    Ok, that’s not great.
                    Most of our techs are college age adults. We're upset.
                    Facebook: bcowles920 Instagram: missthundercat01
                    "One word frees us from the weight and pain of this life. That word is love."- Socrates
                    Patreon for exclusive writing content
                    Adventures With Amber Marie

Comment

Originally posted by MissThundercat View Post
                      The only reason hospital/healthcare admins aren't among the Top 3 scummiest folks in America, is because hedge fund admins, ambulance chasers, and insurance executives exist.

Comment

My company sinks even lower: now they're withholding pay raises and bonuses. Emails from Corporate say it's to keep the company afloat.
                        Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                        But anybody with more than 100 employees had better have a good reason, and anybody with more than 1000 employees can f-ck themselves unless they first give back every penny of their executive compensation for the last twenty years.
                        The corporation I work for has 60,000 some employees worldwide. In a recent Q&A with our division head, when asked if there'd be a merit increase freeze, they said pay cuts were on the table.
                        Originally posted by West Texas Wolverine
                        wT, your wisdom is as boundless as the volume of your cheering.

Arenas visited:
                        7 B1G
                        7 CCHA (all except St Thomas)
                        6 NCH (UNO, NoDak, DU, Miami, SCSU, WMU)
                        5 Hockey East (BU, BC, UNH, Lowell, Vermont)
                        5 ECAC (RPI, Union, Dartmouth, St. Lawrence, Clarkson)
                        2 AHA (Mercyhurst, RIT)
                        2 Alaskan

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post

Plus it captures the deaths due to overburdening of the system and although those aren't technically covid they are really part of the total.

Here I worry red states are going to start flat out suppressing numbers to not anger their god emperor, just like in PRC and Russia.
                          Cornell University

Comment

That's ****ed. Then again, my wife is a therapist and her previous company was in a couple states and had several offices, but there weren't more than 250 people in the company if I had to hazard a guess. Either way, stay strong.

Speaking of impacts, we have a meeting tomorrow with our division manager and I got a sneak preview that we're going to be seeing some serious cutbacks in spending. Everyone with a pulse saw it coming but it's going to be as bad as 08. Coupled with emergency spending eating into our cap spend, it's... ... a lot. Took my breath away.

No idea on staffing cuts, pay reductions/freezes, etc. I'm guessing those aren't far behind either. So I'm not exactly feeling safe because I know the executives would sooner set me on fire than risk their precious EPS numbers. Honestly though, there's zero reason to react at all right now. We don't know where the bottom is, we don't know how fast the recovery will be, and we don't know what congress is going to do. Any reaction now is just ****ing stupid and panic-driven. The smartest executives are going to say, "This quarter is beyond ****ed. Swallow the pill, don't change anything, the EPS is going to be the worst we've ever had but so is everyone's. We'll pull through this and coming out of the recession strong is way more important than missing a target that's already dead."

But alas, they'll do the opposite. They'll make draconian cuts, put people out on the streets without health insurance, and still miss their EPS numbers. If this recession doesn't bring out the guillotines, nothing will.
                            Code:

Comment

Originally posted by Deutsche Gopher Fan View Post
                              We won’t get an accurate count , but we can approximate. That’s here. Now image African nations with worse infrastructure
                              Bad enough infrastructure and you miss a lot of deaths.

Cornell University

Comment

Originally posted by Kepler View Post
                                I wonder if that is people going into the NYC field hospitals to get tested.

My high school LI friend has doctors in his family and he told me there is chronic under-reporting now because a COVID death triggers a **** ton of paperwork they have no time for. Good doctors are classifying correctly because they know the data is vital but there are a lot of underqualified / underskilled doctors in the NYC area, particularly in poor neighborhoods, and there is a ton of pressure for them to get through their backlog.

So it's like the software development problem: nobody ever documents because they don't think they have time, and then of course that means everything will take 100x longer to fix someday.
                                WOuldn't those be included in NYC's numbers? Pretty sure they aren't reporting by residence but location tested and/or hospitalized.
                                Code:

Comment

Working...
                                X