This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
    A national shutdown for ~10 weeks while we ramp up testing capacity and production of PPE and ventilators is likely necessary, and waiting is not an option.

Mills shutdown might be inadequate but it is absolutely warranted for anyone that understands basic math.
    That brings us out to the second week in May. To be fair Trump said Aril 12. What's another few weeks?
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      That brings us out to the second week in May. To be fair Trump said Aril 12. What's another few weeks?
      We won’t be out of the woods in 10 weeks but hopefully in a position to identify and isolate better, and more prepared to treat. We could easily have 10s of millions of infected by then too

Comment

Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

The President must realize that we are not going to "win" or "defeat" the virus anymore than we are going to defeat the cold or flu. You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it. This evening the President walked back the opening and walked up nationalism. His Dr. Birx introduction, saying she was the top expert, was a shot at Dr. Fauci. Dr. Birx took it to a new level today. Always classy and well put together, she had a fully accessorized wardrobe change between the town hall and the briefing. Kudlow was pointless until he said that 1/3 of the bailout is for direct assistance and 2/3 is to increase the Federal Reserve's lending power/replenish the treasury. How had I not heard that before? Why did Apple have nine million N 95 masks? Nine million??? Pence said "weeks not months", did not say days. Thinking back on it, this may have been the first briefing sans prop for him. They kept it brief, the media strategy going forward may be FoxNews serving up relative softballs in a non-confrontational environment in the afternoon, fewer media questions at the briefings.

We should stop all air travel > April 12 minimum.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
          The President must realize that we are not going to "win" or "defeat" the virus anymore than we are going to defeat the cold or flu. You can't stop it, you can only hope to contain it. This evening the President walked back the opening and walked up nationalism. His Dr. Birx introduction, saying she was the top expert, was a shot at Dr. Fauci. Dr. Birx took it to a new level today. Always classy and well put together, she had a fully accessorized wardrobe change between the town hall and the briefing. Kudlow was pointless until he said that 1/3 of the bailout is for direct assistance and 2/3 is to increase the Federal Reserve's lending power/replenish the treasury. How had I not heard that before? Why did Apple have nine million N 95 masks? Nine million??? Pence said "weeks not months", did not say days. Thinking back on it, this may have been the first briefing sans prop for him. They kept it brief, the media strategy going forward may be FoxNews serving up relative softballs in a non-confrontational environment in the afternoon, fewer media questions at the briefings.

We should stop all air travel > April 12 minimum.
          How nice...keep it just the few of them..no real questions. No matter thank God there are other and better sources of info out there. Thinking of the FDNY EMT on a ventilator tonight. A 36 year old Principal from the Broynx died today. Be well...
          Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

When I posted a blog article at 1:40 this afternoon, the death toll was 600 in the US and 18,227 worldwide. Now, 9 hours later, the US death toll is 783 and the worldwide death toll is 18,882. (Source: Johns Hopkins University)
            The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              Coronavirus: US man dies after taking drug he thought stopped virus:
              https://www.bbc.com/news/52012242

... had used chloroquine previously as a treatment for their koi fish and still had some remaining in their home. This additive is formulated differently than the drug used to treat malaria...
              He ended up ingesting chloroquine phosphate, in this instance being used as an aquarium cleaner.

Nothing that would ever have been prescribed for COVID-19. A sad and desperate (but dumb) mistake.

Hydroxychloroquine is the anti-malaria substance being tested in some cases to treat COVID-19.

Just catching up on the day's posts - not picking on you at random, Darius.
              Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
              Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

This is how a true leader under stress should speak to his public during a crisis like this. The numbers quoted by Gov. Cuomo are startling. I don't think he is being alarmist, he is working off of facts provided by epidemiologists and other experts that are more experienced than him in dealing with this crisis. He is begging the Feds for ventilators needed for his state with 25,000 cases. https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=LZgDSYXZe90
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Lives will hang in the balance if the economy tanks Ref. It's not about the almighty dollar. It's about paying your bills and putting food on the table. It's a balancing act now. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The ramifications of a Great Depression like meltdown would probably increase the risk of future pandemics worse than what we are dealing with now.
                  I think we should be selective. Hotspots should not just be social distancing but stay in lockdown per individual state mandates. What's good for South Dakota is probably not good for New York or Washington state. We should continue to be surgical with preventions and mandates and not do a countrywide shutdown. IMO that would be a disaster.
                  Agree with both of these. Again, not to be repetitive, but tanking the economy would make the "cure" worse than the disease itself. Huge swaths (sp?) of the economy - especially small business - would disappear if/when the re-opening is delayed for too long for arbitrary reasons. Increased unemployment, long term unemployment, reversals of the progress many have made with the previous lagging epidemic of substance abuse, resulting relapses, depression, etc. ad nauseum, some leading to deteriorating health and eventual death, plus others going the suicide route … the numbers you'll never read on CDC or Johns Hopkins sites will be the casualties that happen because of these potential indirect causes of too drastic (draconian) steps to be "too safe". But in the end. those people would be (dead) victims, no different to the unfortunate COVID-19 victims. It's a huge balancing act.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                    Ps..Dan Patrick of Texas thinks older people would gladly sacrifice themselves for the economy? Wtaf..
                    The TX lieutenant governor was speaking for himself, and many older constituents he's spoken with. I'm not his constituent, but my feelings are similar, as I've said on here several times before. Amazing just to see what he's said completely exaggerated and bent out of context. Best to view the source itself. Here's a link to exactly what Lt. Gov. Patrick said to Tucker Carlson on Monday night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIz4y7ni_Go

For what it's worth, the US fatalities per diagnosed case ratio is trending down closer to 1%, or pretty much in line with the much vaunted South Korean rate.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
                      The TX lieutenant governor was speaking for himself, and many older constituents he's spoken with. I'm not his constituent, but my feelings are similar, as I've said on here several times before. Amazing just to see what he's said completely exaggerated and bent out of context. Best to view the source itself. Here's a link to exactly what Lt. Gov. Patrick said to Tucker Carlson on Monday night:

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fIz4y7ni_Go

For what it's worth, the US fatalities per diagnosed case ratio is trending down closer to 1%, or pretty much in line with the much vaunted South Korean rate.
                      For a seemingly educated individual, the only thing I see in my mind when you bloviate is Martin Short playing the cigarette lawyer on SOL. Lie, lie, lie. Deny, deny, deny. Quote the interview. "You're basically saying that this disease could take your life, but that's not the scariest thing to you," replied Fox News host Tucker Carlson. "There's something that would be worse than dying."

"Yeah," said Patrick."
                      Last edited by LTsatch; 03-25-2020, 12:15 AM.
                      YALE HOCKEY
                      2013 National Champions

Comment

He ended up ingesting chloroquine phosphate, in this instance being used as an aquarium cleaner.

Nothing that would ever have been prescribed for COVID-19. A sad and desperate (but dumb) mistake.

Hydroxychloroquine is the anti-malaria substance being tested in some cases to treat COVID-19.

Just catching up on the day's posts - not picking on you at random, Darius.
                        Greetings Chuck! You're right on here. I would add too that the administration and titration of hydroxlchloroquine (HCQ) to CoV-19 patients should be monitored under physician's care. It should not be self-administered at this time until more data is gathered. RCTs are now being conducted in NY as of Tuesday, and in other locations throughout the country.

Dave Boulware in the Division of Infectious Diseases at my university is currently leading a collaborative RCT team consisting of infectious disease faculty physicians, biostatisticians, pharmacologists and U of M students.

According to VP Pence, massive supplies of HCQ are being shipped to the US from overseas and pharma companies like Bayer are now producing large quantities of HCQ which will offset the demand by patients with autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

Yesterday, the FDA approved "off label" use of HCQ while more data collection continues to emerge from RCTs now being conducted in various parts of the world.

Vice President Mike Pence said Tuesday that “the FDA [Food and Drug Administration] is approving off-label use for the anti-malarial drug hydroxychloroquine right now" to help coronavirus patients. Doctors can now prescribe chloroquine for that off-label purpose of dealing with the symptoms of coronavirus. We are making that clear across the country."

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                          For a seemingly educated individual, the only thing I see in my mind when you bloviate is Martin Short playing the cigarette lawyer on SOL. Lie, lie, lie. Deny, deny, deny. Quote the interview. "You're basically saying that this disease could take your life, but that's not the scariest thing to you," replied Fox News host Tucker Carlson. "There's something that would be worse than dying."

"Yeah," said Patrick."
                          Serious question - how old are you? Do you have children? Do you have grandchildren?

Who are you to question the sincerity of the man, a 70 year old man who's apparently lived a very fulfilling life, and someone who wants the best for his kids and grandkids? If he thinks the aftermath of this situation is going to make the lives of his children and his grandchildren something short of the full American experience … and he is willing (like I am, at age 58) to "take our chances" and try to keep the country running at as close to normal as possible … who are you to question his (or my) sincerity?

Personally, I've enjoyed a great life, and like Patrick, I hope it will continue for a few more years. But if sitting on the sidelines and emerging in a welfare state existence for another 20 years of mere existence is one option, and fighting right now to keep our country afloat and at a better long-term quality of life is the other option - at some risk to my personal health - I'm all for Door Number Two. Maybe you're a Door Number One safety-first, low-risk person? Nothing wrong with that - to each their own.

But don't tell me (or Patrick, or other like-minded folks) that we're insincere or disingenuous. We clearly view our lives differently from how you view yours. And without stepping squarely on the USCHO "third rail" … some of us believe there is something after this life on Earth is over, and we're more at peace with our inevitable mortality as a result. I have no idea how you feel about that in your life, and it's not up to me to judge. A little tolerance - with lots of hearty and open good-faith debate - works much better.

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                            Greetings Chuck! You're right on here. I would add too that the administration and titration of hydroxlchloroquine (HCQ) to CoV-19 patients should be monitored under physician's care. It should not be self-administered at this time until more data is gathered. RCTs are now being conducted in NY as of Tuesday, and in other locations throughout the country.

Dave Boulware in the Division of Infectious Diseases at my university is currently leading a collaborative RCT team consisting of infectious disease faculty physicians, biostatisticians, pharmacologists and U of M students.

According to VP Pence, massive supplies of HCQ are being shipped to the US from overseas and pharma companies like Bayer are now producing large quantities of HCQ which will offset the demand by patients with autoimmune diseases such as lupus or rheumatoid arthritis.

Yesterday, the FDA approved "off label" use of HCQ while more data collection continues to emerge from RCTs now being conducted in various parts of the world.
                            Promising stuff, Steve. Thanks for continuing to contribute to the quality discussion on this thread.

Comment

I think we should be selective. Hotspots should not just be social distancing but stay in lockdown per individual state mandates. What's good for South Dakota is probably not good for New York or Washington state. We should continue to be surgical with preventions and mandates and not do a countrywide shutdown. IMO that would be a disaster.
                              Hotspots will move because the virus knows no boundaries. People in the midwest will leave larger towns for their lake cabins, which will over-saturate rural areas that normally only see their populations grow temporarily on summer weekends. This will tax their capacity for goods, services and when the virus spreads hospital capacity.

I live near a resort town north of a Manila. When Manila received harsh lockdown rules, suddenly every hotel, b&b and motel was at capacity. A great short term financial boost, but again when the virus starts spreading there?

Trump has either been wrong or deceitful every step of the way through this, and I don't trust for one second he has the smarts, leadership or wherewithal to get us out of it without significant intervention from others.

For instance I trust this guy:

Projected date of surpassing hospital bed capacity, by state, based upon different levels of action/inaction for containment. Pretty sobering.
                              Last edited by Slap Shot; 03-25-2020, 02:12 AM.

Comment

Serious question - how old are you? Do you have children? Do you have grandchildren?

Who are you to question the sincerity of the man, a 70 year old man who's apparently lived a very fulfilling life, and someone who wants the best for his kids and grandkids? If he thinks the aftermath of this situation is going to make the lives of his children and his grandchildren something short of the full American experience … and he is willing (like I am, at age 58) to "take our chances" and try to keep the country running at as close to normal as possible … who are you to question his (or my) sincerity?

Personally, I've enjoyed a great life, and like Patrick, I hope it will continue for a few more years. But if sitting on the sidelines and emerging in a welfare state existence for another 20 years of mere existence is one option, and fighting right now to keep our country afloat and at a better long-term quality of life is the other option - at some risk to my personal health - I'm all for Door Number Two. Maybe you're a Door Number One safety-first, low-risk person? Nothing wrong with that - to each their own.

But don't tell me (or Patrick, or other like-minded folks) that we're insincere or disingenuous. We clearly view our lives differently from how you view yours. And without stepping squarely on the USCHO "third rail" … some of us believe there is something after this life on Earth is over, and we're more at peace with our inevitable mortality as a result. I have no idea how you feel about that in your life, and it's not up to me to judge. A little tolerance - with lots of hearty and open good-faith debate - works much better.
                                I am a 60 year old who has lead a very fulfilled life and am self distancing from my children who are NYC commuters. I am a thankfully retired Fire Chief after 32 years. Grandkids are not on the table yet. Unfortunately, I think we live in different worlds both risk wise and politically. I presume you are from New Hampshire and it is not comparable to the NYC area in terms of risk right now. I find that your political blinders and location have left you desensitized to how serious this situation has become. You have a Governor two States away begging the feds for respirators to assist his folks while others like yourself are saying that we should be pretty good in a couple of weeks. I do my best to go about my business down here and to make sure my loved ones are safe. I just find that folks like the LG in Texas and yourself really need to understand that this is a very serious life and death situation and not some political game of chicken. Unless Cuomo declares, I don’t think you have to worry about Trump being re-elected. As things worsen down here I will step aside from this debate and concentrate on what matters most to me. Stay safe.
                                YALE HOCKEY
                                2013 National Champions

Comment

Working...
                                X