X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

Originally posted by NCAA watcher View Post
    I guess, in the same way that I admire the leadership of the kid on meth on the balcony who thinks he can fly, past precedent not being an issue.

He, too, will get halfway down and remark about how overblown the concerns and predictions were.
    And who cares if anyone was walking below him on the ground.

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
    iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
    gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
    Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
    Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
    TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
    DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
      Stanford Nobel Laureate researcher weighs in... note his predictions on shorter duration as well as his comments on the panic... One man's view, but a pretty smart man at that.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/corona...laureate-says/
      Interesting … but in fairness, I'll say what I've said before, I don't believe a thing I'm hearing from China in terms of reporting decreased activity. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't, but let's just say - being charitable - they haven't been the greatest historians, and (less charitably) their data is not exactly being aggregated or verified independently. Unless you consider the WHO to be a reliable reporter of these things, as opposed to being in Xi's back pocket …

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/asia/...hnk/index.html

There are many far more critical articles on the WHO's relationship with China - easy to find - but I've posted this one, since the source isn't one I'm used to frequenting, and the report predates the full emergence of the situation in the US by almost a full month.

So I'll take what he gives me on the non-China stuff, and that's interesting. But if the "kill shot" on his conclusion is based on data supposedly aggregated from China … well, I'll wait for more data.
      Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
      Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
        Do let us know how his town hall goes today on Fox...
        It was smooth. A controlled environment with commercial breaks. "China", "Sleepy Joe", re-open the country. Having said that it was pretty good, nothing off the rails. One can envision the Town Hall becoming Rally 2.0.
        I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Interesting … but in fairness, I'll say what I've said before, I don't believe a thing I'm hearing from China in terms of reporting decreased activity. Maybe it has, maybe it hasn't, but let's just say - being charitable - they haven't been the greatest historians, and (less charitably) their data is not exactly being aggregated or verified independently. Unless you consider the WHO to be a reliable reporter of these things, as opposed to being in Xi's back pocket …

https://www.cnn.com/2020/02/14/asia/...hnk/index.html

There are many far more critical articles on the WHO's relationship with China - easy to find - but I've posted this one, since the source isn't one I'm used to frequenting, and the report predates the full emergence of the situation in the US by almost a full month.

So I'll take what he gives me on the non-China stuff, and that's interesting. But if the "kill shot" on his conclusion is based on data supposedly aggregated from China … well, I'll wait for more data.
          Totally agree. But I'll go further and say I don't trust ANYTHING the Chinese gov't is reporting on their outbreak...past, present or future. Number of cases, number of deaths, number of new cases... I don't trust any of it. Given their multiple opportunities to tell the world exactly what they were up against, they chose to run and hide the info...leading to the global mess we're in. My two cents.
          ""Ralph is the Chuck Norris of this board. Ralph doesnt sleep he just waits." - fishcore12

Comment

Originally posted by Wicked Slappaahs View Post
            Stanford Nobel Laureate researcher weighs in... note his predictions on shorter duration as well as his comments on the panic... One man's view, but a pretty smart man at that.

https://nypost.com/2020/03/24/corona...laureate-says/
            He has also said that social distancing mandates are critical. Levitt certainly isn't saying this is no big deal.

Assuming China is reporting accurate numbers, it's going to take us longer to get through it than China because they implemented a complete lockdown of the Wuhan area.

Comment

Originally posted by Darius View Post
              It was smooth. A controlled environment with commercial breaks. "China", "Sleepy Joe", re-open the country. Having said that it was pretty good, nothing off the rails. One can envision the Town Hall becoming Rally 2.0.
              Kept up with it on Twitter. Disappointed to hear criticism of Andrew Cuomo tho. Whatever. April 12 eh? Also his comparison to this with car accidents and the seasonal flu. Car accident deaths do not blow up a hospital system like this will. Neither does the flu. Speaking of the flu..its not contagious like this is.

Finally..to your point of being smooth? Of course it was without those pesky reporters around.😁 Anyway thanks for your report.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2020, 02:55 PM.
              I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
                He has also said that social distancing mandates are critical. Levitt certainly isn't saying this is no big deal.

Assuming China is reporting accurate numbers, it's going to take us longer to get through it than China because they implemented a complete lockdown of the Wuhan area.
                Good point..the US hasn't even come close to what was done in China..esp around testing and lock down as you mention. Today the President gave April 12 as a possible "re open" date. Lots will be k own about how things are going in this country by then...

Comment

Good point..the US hasn't even come close to what was done in China..esp around testing and lock down as you mention. Today the President gave April 12 as a possible "re open" date. Lots will be k own about how things are going in this country by then...
                  The key is to bend the curve Ref. We should be able to that without shutting down the whole country for two or three months. That would destroy the country. It may be selective opening up depending different factors. The stimulus package would help if we are to have any recovery at all.
                  UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I missed that as I listened from another room while working. At least April 12 is beyond the 15 days to stop the spread timeline.

Comment

Coronavirus: US man dies after taking drug he thought stopped virus:
                      https://www.bbc.com/news/52012242

... had used chloroquine previously as a treatment for their koi fish and still had some remaining in their home. This additive is formulated differently than the drug used to treat malaria...

...Nigerian health officials also issued a warning regarding the drug's misuse after hospitals in Lagos, the nation's capital, began reporting patients suspected of chloroquine poisoning...

...At least three people are believed to be hospitalised and reports have spread of high demand of chloroquine leading to pharmacy shortages...

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
                        The key is to bend the curve Ref. We should be able to that without shutting down the whole country for two or three months. That would destroy the country. It may be selective opening up depending different factors. The stimulus package would help if we are to have any recovery at all.
                        So no more flattening the curve..bending it?
                        What does that mean? Noone I listen to has used that term.. Flattening the curve has yet to happen since we do not know what it really is going down. I get that. Agree the stimulus package will help. I suppose testing will be avaiable in a mass quantity so that those areas that "open" do not pose a risk? (There will always be a risk until a vaccine is found and/or immunity starts to occur. We are not there yet.

At this point I think we should value human lives over the almighty dollar...Like I said by his grand opening date of April 12...lots will be known. Perhaps there will be places where the CV hasn't hit. We"ll see. Be well.

Ps..Dan Patrick of Texas thinks older people would gladly sacrifice themselves for the economy? Wtaf..
                        Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2020, 04:04 PM.

Comment

*** Bulletin *** *** Bulletin *** *** Bulletin ***

Upcoming Events
                          5:30 PM EDT
                          Members of the Coronavirus Task Force Hold a Press Briefing
                          The White House

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/

Comment

Coronavirus: US man dies after taking drug he thought stopped virus:
                            https://www.bbc.com/news/52012242

... had used chloroquine previously as a treatment for their koi fish and still had some remaining in their home. This additive is formulated differently than the drug used to treat malaria...

...Nigerian health officials also issued a warning regarding the drug's misuse after hospitals in Lagos, the nation's capital, began reporting patients suspected of chloroquine poisoning...

...At least three people are believed to be hospitalised and reports have spread of high demand of chloroquine leading to pharmacy shortages...
                            People who depend on those drugs for lupus etc are having a hard time getting it due to the big rush of people going out to get it. As per that couple you mention? They wont be the last good grief!!

Comment

So no more flattening the curve..bending it?
                              What does that mean? Noone I listen to has used that term.. Flattening the curve has yet to happen since we do not know what it really is going down. I get that. Agree the stimulus package will help. I suppose testing will be avaiable in a mass quantity so that those areas that "open" do not pose a risk? (There will always be a risk until a vaccine is found and/or immunity starts to occur. We are not there yet.

At this point I think we should value human lives over the almighty dollar...Like I said by his grand opening date of April 12...lots will be known. Perhaps there will be places where the CV hasn't hit. We"ll see. Be well.

Ps..Dan Patrick of Texas thinks older people would gladly sacrifice themselves for the economy? Wtaf..
                              Flattening the curve is good but bending it down is better.

Lives will hang in the balance if the economy tanks Ref. It's not about the almighty dollar. It's about paying your bills and putting food on the table. It's a balancing act now. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The ramifications of a Great Depression like meltdown would probably increase the risk of future pandemics worse than what we are dealing with now.
                              UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

*** Bulletin *** *** Bulletin *** *** Bulletin ***

Upcoming Events
                                5:30 PM EDT
                                Members of the Coronavirus Task Force Hold a Press Briefing
                                The White House

https://www.whitehouse.gov/live/
                                Fauci is going to be there..

Comment

Working...
                                X