This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Originally posted by net presence View Post
    e.cat, first of all, I guess it depends on how you define "not knowing about Hillary's "deplorables" comment". I was very aware of the fact she used the word "deplorables". If you were paying any attention to the upcoming election at that time, it was pretty much impossible not to know about the fact she called a big part of Trump's base "deplorables". However, I was not aware of the fact that she specifically used the words racist and sexist in describing what she meant by deplorable in the same speech. Quite frankly, I'm confident there's a significant portion of the population that isn't aware she also used the words racist and sexist to expand on what she meant by "deplorables". So again, I guess it depends on how you define "not knowing".

To be clear, I'm quite confident I'm FAR more well read and informed about the issues of the day than you. In fact, my guess is, I'm probably in the top 10% of people informed about the various issues our country is dealing with. Over the last 10 days since I chose to become more involved in the discussion on this thread and others, both myself and Chuck have brought up a number of points/issues with each other that have been discussed by many since Trump became president. Obviously, because of the fact most of my posts have been directed at Chuck as it was his posts that got my initial attention, outside of Chuck, I haven't really attempted to engage directly with anyone other than "dontstayathome" and yourself to a lesser degree. Still, it doesn't mean that, just because I haven't directly challenged you to do so, if you really felt you had a strong contrarian opinion to something I said that you couldn't have responded/pushed back on some of the points of debate/discussion which I had directly addressed to Chuck. Funny though, you haven't responded to any of those points in any type of detailed way. In fact, "dontstayathome" hasn't responded to any of the points I made directly to him in the lengthy post I wrote about 4 or 5 days ago.

Kind of weird that, outside of the "deplorables" debate -- the one point Chuck obviously knew he was right about -- neither he or any of the other conservatives/Trump supporters on here have responded to literally any other point in any sort of detailed manner. Nope, not a single one. It's pretty obvious why none of you are really willing to discuss/debate the nuances of these issues/points...deep down inside you guys all know you can't logically do so. You simply don't have the facts on your side. So instead, you guys/gals are like the 4th liners who rarely touch the ice. You sit at the end of the bench and lob poorly thought out and ineffective trash talk that everyone involved -- even your own teammates -- are sitting there thinking, "really, that's the best he could come up with?".
    Okay. Thanks for clarifying netpresence. So you knew about the "deplorables" comment but not the part characterized by “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic” views. You missed the most important part of her comments wouldn't you say?

Honestly netpresence, your posts are too filled with fluff and nonsense to rifle through so I haven't. Hence the NO COMMENT on my part.

Let's keep it simple (KISS), name me ONE or TWO issues you disagree with Republicans or Trump on if you want to and I promise to respond. Keep it concise please. Chew on it overnight if you need to.

Don't be like that Squirt or Pee Wee first line center who thinks he's God's gift. The one with all the answers and needs to be on the ice every shift at the expense of his teammates whose parents pay to play the same amount as his parents do.
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Okay. Thanks for clarifying netpresence. So you knew about the "deplorables" comment but not the part characterized by “racist, sexist, homophobic, xenophobic, Islamaphobic” views. You missed the most important part of her comments wouldn't you say?

Honestly netpresence, your posts are too filled with fluff and nonsense to rifle through so I haven't. Hence the NO COMMENT on my part.

Let's keep it simple (KISS), name me ONE or TWO issues you disagree with Republicans or Trump on if you want to and I promise to respond. Keep it concise please. Chew on it overnight if you need to.

Don't be like that Squirt or Pee Wee first line center who thinks he's God's gift. The one with all the answers and needs to be on the ice every shift at the expense of his teammates whose parents pay to play the same amount as his parents do.

e.cat., in all seriousness, that's a great response. I especially enjoyed the part about the Pee Wee 1st line center. Very funny! And yes, I knew she had used the word "deplorables" -- if anyone was paying even just the least bit of attention it was impossible not to have heard she had used that word -- but, I honestly had never heard the actual sound bite prior to Chuck providing it. Let me do as you suggested and I'll get back to you tomorrow with one or two points we can discuss. About to start grilling steaks and shrimp for Easter dinner so, will wait until late tonight or tomorrow to respond. Happy Easter to you and your family e.cat and stay safe.

Comment

Originally posted by e.cat View Post

Solid points. With the "overnight" part you threw in there, my buddy Nostradamus has set the over-under on his response at 5.5 paragraphs, and mentions of "Chuck" at 3.5 (not creepy at all, nah). He's laying 3-to-1 on net running beyond one full message. Beyond that … I was getting a distinct Rupert Pupkin vibe, right from the outset. So, do proceed with caution. Godspeed, e.cat.

Elsewhere … it would appear the "A" team is either still AWOL, pretending not to notice, OR simply non-existent, given that we've been reduced to trolling the lowly faculty lounge Café against our will. Again, I'll give props to the Alaskan ponies dude, who shows more creativity and imagination in a single post than the tedious mediocrity his cohorts churn out regularly. Guessing he'd probably be a good foil to have beers with, while debating the issues, and leaving it at the door on good terms until the next time … y'know, like normal folks used to do all the time. Kudos.
        Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
        Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
          Solid points. With the "overnight" part you threw in there, my buddy Nostradamus has set the over-under on his response at 5.5 paragraphs, and mentions of "Chuck" at 3.5 (not creepy at all, nah). He's laying 3-to-1 on net running beyond one full message. Beyond that … I was getting a distinct Rupert Pupkin vibe, right from the outset. So, do proceed with caution. Godspeed, e.cat.

Elsewhere … it would appear the "A" team is either still AWOL, pretending not to notice, OR simply non-existent, given that we've been reduced to trolling the lowly faculty lounge Café against our will. Again, I'll give props to the Alaskan ponies dude, who shows more creativity and imagination in a single post than the tedious mediocrity his cohorts churn out regularly. Guessing he'd probably be a good foil to have beers with, while debating the issues, and leaving it at the door on good terms until the next time … y'know, like normal folks used to do all the time. Kudos.
          You are truly a beauty... In your last sentence, you lament the loss of people you could sit at a bar with and have a quality discussion/disagreement about political topics and yet, it would stay "in the bar" when you left. Funny, that's EXACTLY how I committed to handling any future back and forth with you after my first post in response to something you posted. Yet, you have refused to engage with me since then. Make up my mind big guy. You're talking out of both sides of your mouth.

Next, you're also asking where the "A team" is in reference to who's engaging you. Maybe, just maybe, the other's from the "left" are seeing my responses and deciding they wouldn't be challenging you any differently than I have. Meaning, I AM on the "A Team". Finally, as you can see Chuck, my post immediately following e.cat's request to limit my response to a couple of discussion points was only a single paragraph. And, as even you noted a couple of posts back, my last 4 or 5 posts have been 3 paragraphs or less. To be clear, I think if we looked back at all of each of our posts since my first post in this thread, I'm willing to bet that the number of 5 plus paragraph posts is pretty close to even. Obviously, all of the questions I've posed to you previously still stand and I await your detailed responses. I hope you and your family had an enjoyable Easter!

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post

to be clear, i'm quite confident i'm far more well read and informed about the issues of the day than you. In fact, my guess is, i'm probably in the top 10% of people informed about the various issues our country is dealing with. :
            Wow No sense arguing with this poster.
            Last edited by walrus; 04-13-2020, 03:43 AM.
            I swear there ain't no heaven but I pray there ain't no hell.

Maine Hockey Love it or Leave it

Comment

Originally posted by rufus View Post
              Who just spent $2 trillion to bail out a country whose economy they wrecked, because instead of preparing for an oncoming pandemic, they sat on their azzes for two months and did nothing but pretend it didn't exist and hoped it would go away?
              Do you mean George Bush? Barack Obama?

60 Minutes' 2005 report on pandemic preparedness
              https://youtu.be/wP001Dum-Ps

Bill Gates TED Talk TED2015 | March 2015
              https://www.ted.com/talks/bill_gates...dy?language=en
              Last edited by Dutchman; 04-14-2020, 05:34 AM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Effectiveness of Interventions to Reduce Contact Rates during a Simulated Influenza Pandemic
                https://wwwnc.cdc.gov/eid/article/13/4/06-0828_article
                The Science behind what we are doing .....

Abstract
                Measures to decrease contact between persons during an influenza pandemic have been included in pandemic response plans. We used stochastic simulation models to explore the effects of school closings, voluntary confinements of ill persons and their household contacts, and reductions in contacts among long-term care facility (LTCF) residents on pandemic-related illness and deaths. Our findings suggest that school closings would not have a substantial effect on pandemic-related outcomes in the absence of measures to reduce out-of-school contacts. However, if persons with influenza-like symptoms and their household contacts were encouraged to stay home, then rates of illness and death might be reduced by ≈50%. By preventing ill LTCF residents from making contact with other residents, illness and deaths in this vulnerable population might be reduced by ≈60%. Restricting the activities of infected persons early in a pandemic could decrease negative health impact.
                Last edited by Dutchman; 04-14-2020, 05:45 AM.
                DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
                DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

https://rationalwiki.org/wiki/Whataboutism
                  Cornell University
                  National Champion 1967, 1970
                  ECAC Champion 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1973, 1980, 1986, 1996, 1997, 2003, 2005, 2010
                  Ivy League Champion 1966, 1967, 1968, 1969, 1970, 1971, 1972, 1973, 1977, 1978, 1983, 1984, 1985, 1996, 1997, 2002, 2003, 2004, 2005, 2012, 2014, 2018, 2019, 2020

Comment

Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

No, something and someone a little more recent.

Remember this one?

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=KGenVcak5nI

If things were so bad, if the national stockpiles were "so depleted" as he claims, if he was stuck with testing kits that "were obsolete and didn't work" why didn't he do something about it? He's been in office three years.

Why didn't he "fix it'? After all, he is the only one who can. All by hisself.

Instead, he knew this was coming in January, and spent two months telling the country it was under control, no big deal, was gonna just disappear. Instead of doing something. Anything.
                    What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

• Originally posted by Dutchman View Post

Weak attempt at deflection.

Obama administration ran a pandemic simulation with Trump’s team in 2016 (most of the Trump people that participated have probably been fired by now though). They also left a NSC pandemic playbook, which was ignored.

Trump was in office 3 years when Covid-19 hit. The slow response and lack of preparation falls on him.

Comment

Quote from 2005. "The White House has proposed a $7.1 billion program to prepare for the pandemic. Plans are underway to stockpile drugs, medical supplies, and to develop treatment plans, quarantine strategies, and better and quicker ways to manufacture vaccines."

Compare and contrast to just how the current White House has handled news of a possible oncoming pandemic.

“It’s one person coming in from China, and we have it under control. It’s going to be just fine.” — January 22, 2020.

“I think the virus is going to be — it’s going to be fine.” — February 10, 2020.

“Because of all we’ve done, the risk to the American people remains very low. … When you have 15 people, and the 15 within a couple of days is going to be down to close to zero. That’s a pretty good job we’ve done.” — February 26, 2020.

“It’s going to disappear. One day, it’s like a miracle, it will disappear.” — February 28, 2020.

“This is their new hoax.” — February 28, 2020

“So last year 37,000 Americans died from the common Flu. It averages between 27,000 and 70,000 per year. Nothing is shut down, life & the economy go on. At this moment there are 546 confirmed cases of CoronaVirus, with 22 deaths. Think about that!” — March 9, 2020.

“This is a very contagious virus. It’s incredible. But it’s something that we have tremendous control over.” — March 15, 2020.

https://www.msn.com/en-us/money/mark...ry/ar-BB11OvE1

Sen. Chris Murphy, a Connecticut Democrat, says that Trump administration officials declined an offer of early congressional funding assistance that he and other senators made on Feb. 5 during a meeting to discuss the coronavirus.

The officials, including Health and Human Services Secretary Alex Azar, said they “didn’t need emergency funding, that they would be able to handle it within existing appropriations,” Murphy recalled in an interview with Yahoo News’ “Skullduggery” podcast.

“What an awful, horrible catastrophic mistake that was,” Murphy said.
                        On Feb. 5, Murphy tweeted: “Just left the Administration briefing on Coronavirus. Bottom line: they aren't taking this seriously enough. Notably, no request for ANY emergency funding, which is a big mistake. Local health systems need supplies, training, screening staff etc. And they need it now.”
                        What kind of cheese are you planning to put on top?

Comment

Originally posted by net presence View Post
                          To be clear, I'm quite confident I'm FAR more well read and informed about the issues of the day than you. In fact, my guess is, I'm probably in the top 10% of people informed about the various issues our country is dealing with.
                          Why are you wasting time of a college hockey website? Please hustle down to DC, NYC, New Orleans, etc. where your knowledge can make a difference.
                          if you walk with Jesus, he's gonna save your soul, you gotta keep the devil way down in the hole

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                            Why are you wasting time of a college hockey website? Please hustle down to DC, NYC, New Orleans, etc. where your knowledge can make a difference.

There's no doubt that after re-reading it a few times, I didn't phrase that in the best possible way . My meaning was that, as a true layman in regards to this specific issue -- i.e., having no specific schooling or training in infectious disease, epidemiology, or mitigation strategies -- I know what I have read, along with interviews I have listened to or watched. Since early January when I first read about the virus, I can honestly say that I've read a combination of over 100 different articles, studies, and scientific papers. And, I doubt that the average American would have the time to spend doing what I have done. I have a unique job and, after March 12th, my job was done until next September (hopefully, it will start back up then). So, since that date, along with all of the reading, I've literally had a cable news broadcast on from 7am til midnight, as well as listening to talk radio if I wasn't actively reading. Don't get me wrong, I'm not going to walk the comment back that much. Unfortunately, it obviously came across far more arrogant than I wanted or, than I believe I actually am in my daily life. But, I'm also confident about the knowledge I've attained about the various aspects of the virus and the crisis it has created.

Comment

Hey Chuck, just letting you know I haven't forgotten about you... Are you ever going to respond my friend?

Comment

Originally posted by buoldtimer View Post
                                Why are you here?

Comment

Working...
                                X