X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    Did you know the answer in advance, TUPD? I didn't. Looked it up just now. South Korea at just over 50 million, Seoul at just under 12 million. Didn't hear how the question was phrased, but assuming the President isn't spending his time poring over the population data from foreign countries, I'm pretty sure this was a useless "gotcha" moment. Kind of like when President Obama couldn't name more than one (1) player on his supposedly favorite MLB team (CWS).
    Yes, I did know that. As I mentioned in a previous post regarding your idiotic statement that President Trump's NoKo strategy is paying dividends (which it's not), I have family members living in Daejon. So, yeah, out of necessity I kinda know more about ROK than your standard Fox News watching American. And who cares how the question was phrased. He sounded like a dork. Which is funny. Which is all I was pointing out. What I wasn't counting on was the added humor you provided by trying to stick up for such a dumb comment. Dude, not everything needs to be defended, sometimes it's OK to just laugh, especially when it's not malicious.

Originally posted by Chuck Murray View Post
    I'd love to see the source of your numbers on total tests administered by country, as of the last 24-48 hours. The CDC states as of noontime today (which I guess reflects close-of-business yesterday?) there were 163,539 total US cases, and 2,860 US deaths, for a 1.7% death ratio. They do not provide the total number of tests administered - or if they do, it's well-hidden. But last I heard, the rate of negative results as a proportion of total tests was in the 80-90% range. By extrapolation, that would mean the US has now tested somewhere in between 800,000 and 1.5 million people. Last data I saw last week, South Korea was around 350,000-400,000. If Trump isn't correct, I'd be surprised. But I've been surprised before, so if you've got the data, I promise to read it.

Of course, the giant asterisk in that whole issue is that China's testing would/should be "more by far" than any other country, except according to them (1) they've already solved their problem, (2) it didn't start there to begin with, (3) they don't give the slightest crap about individual citizens beyond the Politburo, and (4) "Hey, can you pass the delicious bat wing soup, comrade?"
    Ah. So all that matters is whether or not President Trump can be proven correct today despite the fact that he screwed us six weeks ago. There is no doubt in my mind that at some point the United States of America will test more than the ROK. But that's due solely to sheer volume. Had President Trump tested...what is your number...800k...in freakin' February then Hail to the Chief and thump your chest. So yea us that we finally tested more people than ROK. I'll still be washing my f*c*ing groceries in June. And who gives a ***** about China.

Folks, there is more involved in protecting the American way of life than simply fielding an army. And that's where President Trump failed all of us. Miserably.

Comment

Coronavirus: US Navy captain pleads for help over outbreak:
      https://www.bbc.com/news/world-us-canada-52110298
      "Removing the majority of personnel from a deployed US nuclear aircraft carrier and isolating them for two weeks may seem like an extraordinary measure. This is a necessary risk."
      I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Instead of criticizing Chuck's politics - which would be more fun for me if social media didn't exist - can you all not see that this is part of WIS' master plan of bringing Les Expos back to Montreal? It's all falling into place...

"I have come up with a plan so cunning you could stick a tail on it and call it a weasel. ."
        -Blackadder
        "I'm shocked, shocked to find that gambling is going on in here. "
        -Casablanca
        "They could maybe hire another officer to catch the illegal immigrant drug dealers breast feeding at Dunkin' Donuts or whatever it is! Thank you!"
        -Somerville Speakout

2008 POTY

Comment

Originally posted by Jon View Post
          Instead of criticizing Chuck's politics - which would be more fun for me if social media didn't exist - can you all not see that this is part of WIS' master plan of bringing Les Expos back to Montreal? It's all falling into place...
          Why would they leave a city that finally brought them success after their pointless previous incarnation?

Cornell '04, Stanford '06

KDR

Rover Frenchy, Classic! Great post.
          iwh30 I wish I could be as smart as you. I really do you are the man
          gregg729 I just saw your sig, you do love having people revel in your "intelligence."
          Ritt18 you are the perfect representation of your alma mater.
          Miss Thundercat That's it, you win.
          TBA#2 I want to kill you and dance in your blood.
          DisplacedCornellian Hahaha. Thread over. Frenchy wins.

Test to see if I can add this.

Comment

• Originally posted by Jon View Post
            Bwahahahahaha perfect!!!🤣🤣🤣
            I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

"Here's Austin restaurant El Arroyo, still smarting economically from the outbreak-induced postponement of the South by Southwest music festival, turning its outdoor message board into a mock dating app: "Single man w/Toilet Paper seeks single woman w/hand sanitizer for good clean fun."
              Last edited by Dutchman; 03-31-2020, 06:40 PM.
              DUTCHMEN HOCKEY
              DANGER - MEN AT WORK

Comment

33 year old Passaic New Jersey Firefighter dies in the line of duty from Covid-19 exposure.
                YALE HOCKEY
                2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by SteveO View Post
                  With a vaccine most likely 12 months away, I think the prospect of having any sports scheduled to begin this fall (i.e. NHL, NFL, NCAA sports, etc.) is too optimistic.

There are many RCTs currently underway looking at potential medical therapies to reduce the symptoms of the virus. I know Dr. Dave Boulware at my university (University of Minnesota) is currently two weeks into an RCT (500+ CoV-19 participants so far) on the therapeutic effects of hydroxlychloroquine and said he and his team may be able fast track the study and run the data in about 4 weeks. But even if there are positive results, it remains to be seen if it's indeed a panacea for all CoV-19 patients. But considering individuals who may be asymptomatic, it doesn't appear there's a silver lining for fall sports. We'll have to wait and see.

But we may be looking at a worst case scenario here for sports set to begin in 4-6 months. There's been a lot of crazy discussions and scenarios mentioned on sequestering teams without spectators at remote locations such as renovated cruise ships to virus free zones which will probably be non-existent in 4-6 months.

I'm leaning more towards the NCAA cancelling all sports this fall. That would apply to the NFL, NHL, and others as well.

https://bleacherreport.com/articles/...ll-play-season
                  You're still pimping HCQ? Even after the doctor was exposed as a complete fraud and the studies have been torn apart by the academic community? Even after studies that were larger and designed better have shown zero evidence it helps? Still?

LOL
                  Code:
                  As of 9/21/10:         As of 9/13/10:
                  College Hockey 6       College Football 0
                  BTHC 4                 WCHA FC:  1
                  Originally posted by SanTropez
                  May your paint thinner run dry and the fleas of a thousand camels infest your dead deer.
                  Originally posted by bigblue_dl
                  I don't even know how to classify magic vagina smoke babies..
                  Originally posted by Kepler
                  When the giraffes start building radio telescopes they can join too.
                  He's probably going to be a superstar but that man has more baggage than North West

Comment

Since 2010, there have been between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually due to influenza (Source: CDC).
                    Between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could face death due to Covid-19 in the coming weeks (Source: Coronavirus Task Force).
                    The UNH Men's Hockey Blog

Comment

Originally posted by dxmnkd316 View Post
                      You're still pimping HCQ? Even after the doctor was exposed as a complete fraud and the studies have been torn apart by the academic community? Even after studies that were larger and designed better have shown zero evidence it helps? Still?

LOL
                      My post regarding an RCT that is currently being conducted under the leadership of a colleague, Dr. Dave Boulware, is "pimping" HCQ? I don't have any axe to grind here, but apparently you do.

If you want to falsely accuse US healthcare professionals as well as those around the globe (India, Germany, France, etc.) who are currently administering HCQ/AZ to CoV-19 patients with measured success of "pimping" that's entirely up to you. Go ahead and embarrass yourself.

It's noteworthy that Kansas City area physicians. as well as others in several states are continuing to treat CoV-19 patients with HCQ/AZ and are showing marked improvement in the reduction of the viral load. Major medical centers including the University of Washington and Mass General have added HCQ to treatment options. Other state pharmacy boards including Texas, Louisiana, Ohio and North Carolina have approved its use under physician care by prescription only which prevents individuals from misusing the drug by self-medicating.

Yesterday the FDA and The Department of Health and Human Services (HHS) approved HCQ products to be distributed and prescribed by doctors through the Strategic National Stockpile to hospitalized teen and adult patients with CoV-19 as appropriate.

HHS said Germany’s Sandoz has already given 30 million doses of HCQ to the Strategic National Stockpile, and Bayer has donated a million doses. Pfizer has announced positive data for the use HCQ/AZ in an RCT recently completed in Marseille, France (see below).

I'd like to see the evidence to confirm your accusation that Dr. Didier Raoult MD. PhD. is a "fraud". Arguably, his previous small study raised some concerns on the research design side. But Dr. Raoult was officially a member of the first scientific council set up by French President Macron to advise him on the CoV-19 pandemic. He's definitely NOT a fraud.

In fact, Dr. Raoult and a collaborative team of 28 microbiologists, physicians, biostatisticians, and pharmacologists in Marseille just completed and published the largest RCT to date last week on March 27 involving 80 CoV-19 patients who were treated with HCQ/AZ. The study was conducted at the University Hospital Institute Méditerranée Infection in Marseille, France and financially supported by the French National Research Agency.

The median age was 52 years (range 20 to 86) with nearly 1:1 male/female. The primary therapeutic objective was to treat patients who have moderate or severe infections at an early enough stage to avoid progression to a serious and irreversible condition. The elimination of viral carriage in the human reservoir of the virus was recognized in the study as a priority.

57.5% of the patients had at least one chronic condition known to be a risk factor for the severe form of CoV-19 with hypertension, diabetes and chronic respiratory disease being the most frequent. The mean Polymerase chain reaction (PCR) (a method used to copy and amplify specific DNA samples for detailed analysis) CT value was 23.4. A PCR CT value < 34 means the patient has tested positive for CoV-19.

A rapid fall of nasopharyngeal viral load tested by PCR was noted, with 83% negative at Day 7, and 93% at Day 8. The number of patients presumably contagious (with a PCR CT value <34) steadily decreased overtime and reached zero on Day 12.

The team concluded that the rapid negativation of viral cultures from patients’ respiratory samples under treatment with HCQ/AZ showed the efficacy of the HCQ/AZ dyad. Moreover, the rapid decrease in the viral RNA load also suggests the effectiveness of the treatment in the early impairment of contagiousness.

Recent Marseille, France study
                      Last edited by SteveO; 04-01-2020, 02:50 AM.

Comment

Originally posted by C-H-C View Post
                        Since 2010, there have been between 12,000 – 61,000 deaths annually due to influenza (Source: CDC).
                        Between 100,000 and 240,000 Americans could face death due to Covid-19 in the coming weeks (Source: Coronavirus Task Force).
                        This morning on GMA: Men twice more likely to die of it than women, the 20 to 40 year old age group is more likely to die of it by 33% (my kids ages). My husband is still working at a manufacturing plant in Laconia. He gets his temp done every morning, and has to wear a mask during the day...praying he stays well (and me). Thinking of everyone here. Regardless of what we think about the situation, this affects all of us to one degree or another. My students really miss school if you can believe that (well, the social interaction). I had 45 of them on a google meet up yesterday and let them chatter for a couple of mins...it was deafening. This is their 9/11. FWIW dept I'd rather be at work this online stuff is far from ideal but, we are doing the best we can out in educationland….

Comment

Crickets.
                          Where’s all “the Trump virus is not a big deal” posters? That theme has disappeared over the last few days.
                          $1200 buys off a lot of silence(and votes). But then again, the orange man child has used that buy off tactic for years, just not hookers this time.
                          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                          Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
                            Crickets.
                            Where’s all “the Trump virus is not a big deal” posters? That theme has disappeared over the last few days.
                            $1200 buys off a lot of silence(and votes). But then again, the orange man child has used that buy off tactic for years, just not hookers this time.
                            To say a good job was done with a projection of 240,000 deaths...this was so poorly managed from the get go. Really points out in a big way how much our health care systems are struggling...and despite the rosy forecasts ..the economy.

Anyone can do a search of how the U.S. fares with the rest of the developed world as far as the health of our citizens goes.

Major reforms need to happen. What's this I read that Trump blocked entrance into the health care portals? What plan does he have for health care hes had 3 years to come up with something??? It's a disgrace...greatest nation in the world and people STILL do not have health care. It's a right...not a priviledge.

Also his "we had nothing to work with" BS..well then why didnt you fix that when you took office. I mean really...*** has he actually done for this country???

Comment

• Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                              To say a good job was done with a projection of 240,000 deaths...this was so poorly managed from the get go. Really points out in a big way how much our health care systems are struggling...and despite the rosy forecasts ..the economy.

Anyone can do a search of how the U.S. fares with the rest of the developed world as far as the health of our citizens goes.

Major reforms need to happen. What's this I read that Trump blocked entrance into the health care portals? What plan does he have for health care hes had 3 years to come up with something??? It's a disgrace...greatest nation in the world and people STILL do not have health care. It's a right...not a priviledge.

Also his "we had nothing to work with" BS..well then why didnt you fix that when you took office. I mean really...*** has he actually done for this country???

Seriously, I wonder if/when we see the infection rate slow, who will make the most noise: “social distancing works crowd” or “overrated overreaction not a big deal crowd“.
                              I know the answer but expect it will be debated.
                              $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
                              Just win.....

Comment

Just think of this as a test run for Global Warming crises in the coming years. Denial, rejection of science because it is a political agenda, arguments about costs, and finally, one group leading based on science.

Will we have examples of science giving us "false positives" of threats to which we overreact? Yes. But ignore science and consensus among experts at your (or actually, our collective) peril.
                                The Souza record:
                                15-16 10th place
                                16-17 10th place
                                17-18 11th place
                                18-19 8th place
                                19-20 9th place
                                20-21 10th place
                                21-22 9th place
                                22-23 10th place

Comment

Working...
                                X