This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
    Flattening the curve is good but bending it down is better.

Lives will hang in the balance if the economy tanks Ref. It's not about the almighty dollar. It's about paying your bills and putting food on the table. It's a balancing act now. We can't throw the baby out with the bathwater. The ramifications of a Great Depression like meltdown would probably increase the risk of future pandemics worse than what we are dealing with now.
    Well I hear your point about paying the bills..its too bad to be in this double edged sword. Wishing the best possible outcome for all.
    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

The key is to bend the curve Ref. We should be able to that without shutting down the whole country for two or three months. That would destroy the country. It may be selective opening up depending different factors. The stimulus package would help if we are to have any recovery at all.
      Why should we be able to without significant social distancing, And why are you so convinced doing so would destroy the country?

Comment

Originally posted by Slap Shot View Post
        Why should we be able to without significant social distancing, And why are you so convinced doing so would destroy the country?
        I think we should be selective. Hotspots should not just be social distancing but stay in lockdown per individual state mandates. What's good for South Dakota is probably not good for New York or Washington state. We should continue to be surgical with preventions and mandates and not do a countrywide shutdown. IMO that would be a disaster.
        UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

I think we should be selective. Hotspots should not just be social distancing but stay in lockdown per individual state mandates. What's good for South Dakota is probably not good for New York or Washington state. We should continue to be surgical with preventions and mandates and not do a countrywide shutdown. IMO that would be a disaster.
          There are now more confirmed cases in my small state (just over 100) than there was in the entire country March 1. Without shutting nearly everything down in a few weeks we will have thousands, then tens of thousands. By April our hospitals will be triaging.

It’s now too late to avoid a nation wide shutdown. I don’t think people appreciate exponential growth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-us-missed-chance-to-avoid-coronavirus-shutdown-2020-3%3famp

My company is committed to mandatory work from home for everyone that can for at least 6-8 weeks. We are even talking about how we are going to recruit and onboard new hires 100% remotely. We are considered essential and have lab people, animal care, facilities, etc that have to be onsite but we’ve reduced on-site research staff by 75%
          Last edited by BassAle; 03-24-2020, 06:19 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by BassAle View Post
            There are now more confirmed cases in my small state (just over 100) than there was in the entire country March 1. Without shutting nearly everything down in a few weeks we will have thousands, then tens of thousands. By April our hospitals will be triaging.

It’s now too late to avoid a nation wide shutdown.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.businessinsider.com/bill-gates-us-missed-chance-to-avoid-coronavirus-shutdown-2020-3%3famp

My company is committed to mandatory work from home for everyone that can for at least 6-8 weeks. We are even talking about how we are going to recruit and onboard new hires 100% remotely. We are considered essential and have lab people, animal care, facilities, etc that have to be onsite but we’ve reduced on-site research staff by 75%
            Well, I read Gov Mills edict for a statewide shutdown in Maine and it looks to me like essential workers includes a lot of people. Not worth the paper it's written on! Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no deaths in Maine related to covid 19 to date. Her edict is more window dressing than anything else.

Comment

Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

It’s now too late to avoid a nation wide shutdown. I don’t think people appreciate exponential growth.

https://www.google.com/amp/s/www.bus...n-2020-3%3famp

This is the missing piece, at least I think, that really tells the story. Example..saw a table today about last week, 87 cases per million in New York. Today? Last week in my county in NH there were 2 cases. This week, there's 7 more. Super small sample size, I know. Another thought, when we distance ourselves from the story happening elsewhere, and don't apply it to ourselves, it's just a matter of time before you have to. Makes you think. Be well. Social distancing, massive amounts of testing, and the obvious, wash your hands.
              Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2020, 09:03 PM.
              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Well, I read Gov Mills edict for a statewide shutdown in Maine and it looks to me like essential workers includes a lot of people. Not worth the paper it's written on! Correct me if I'm wrong but there are no deaths in Maine related to covid 19 to date. Her edict is more window dressing than anything else.
                If you wait until people start dying it’s too late. You don’t understand how quickly this will get out of control.

We modeled this at work. Without changing current trends (hopefully the closures do) the US was on track to break 100k this week and 1.5M a week later. If 2% of diagnosed cases eventually die, that’s 30k deaths — but it’s not going to stop there. If diagnosed cases are doubling every 2-3 days I’ll let you do the math to see where we will be at Easter. With no immunity and without severe social distancing eventually most people will become infected.

Comment

Many states are a couple weeks (or less) away from being New York. New York is a week or two away from being Italy.

Comment

....there are no deaths YET in my town, my school, my county, my state. YET = You're Eligible Too
                    That's what I teach my kids (high school) about the " I haven't gotten busted, yet, or pregnant, yet (am a health teacher). We all have thought YET about something. I hope the coronavirus, isn't one of them.

Ps...here's an article about how we could get back into the game if we did a few namely things, like, protect the vulnerable. (there's a concept for this country) Anyway, he's kind of light on the how, but, just
                    want to show I can consider other POV...lol would love commentary on this article if you're interested...

https://www.nytimes.com/2020/03/20/o...pgtype=Article
                    Last edited by HockeyRef; 03-24-2020, 07:18 PM.
                    Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Many states are a couple weeks (or less) away from being New York. New York is a week or two away from being Italy.
                      Both of your posts are spot-on.

This thing is going to surge in a huge way here in NY very shortly, and then it'll spill-over to other surges in neighboring States. Even Maine, at some point.

My conscience won't allow me to stay home, as much as I want to. I've pulled my scrubs out of dry-storage and have to come back from retirement to ventilate 2 people with one unit. We'll see how that goes.

The rest of you stay home, aside from the essential workers. Maybe we can ride this out, a la the ROK.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are advocating for though BassAle. I have tried to be clear that I am not in favor of a national shutdown. It seems to me that Janet Mills shutdown is woefully inadequate and not warranted to begin with If that's all she's going to do.

Comment

I'm not sure what you are advocating for though BassAle. I have tried to be clear that I am not in favor of a national shutdown. It seems to me that Janet Mills shutdown is woefully inadequate and not warranted to begin with If that's all she's going to do.
                          A national shutdown for ~10 weeks while we ramp up testing capacity and production of PPE and ventilators is likely necessary, and waiting is not an option.

Mills shutdown might be inadequate but it is absolutely warranted for anyone that understands basic math.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Ps..Dan Patrick of Texas thinks older people would gladly sacrifice themselves for the economy? Wtaf..
                            It will also take care of all of those long-lived geezers sucking up pension plans and social security. Line em up like a Jim Jones rally!
                            YALE HOCKEY
                            2013 National Champions

Comment

Originally posted by Fishman'81 View Post
                              Both of your posts are spot-on.

This thing is going to surge in a huge way here in NY very shortly, and then it'll spill-over to other surges in neighboring States. Even Maine, at some point.

My conscience won't allow me to stay home, as much as I want to. I've pulled my scrubs out of dry-storage and have to come back from retirement to ventilate 2 people with one unit
                              . We'll see how that goes.

The rest of you stay home, aside from the essential workers. Maybe we can ride this out, a la the ROK.
                              Thank you for doing this...would love to hear more from you as this goes on about what's going on in the field. My niece (respiratory therapist in Boston) says they are bracing themselves...any day now.
                              Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Originally posted by LTsatch View Post
                                It will also take care of all of those long-lived geezers sucking up pension plans and social security. Line em up like a Jim Jones rally!
                                Gee, funny you mention that...as Glenn Beck says tonight he's game...
                                Here we go 'Cats!!

Comment

Working...
                                X