Collapse
This topic is closed.
X
X

• Filter
  • Time
  • Show
Clear All

• Is anyone really surprised about this?
    UNH Hockey: You can check out any time you like but you can never leave!

Comment

• Re: COVID-19 - Part 2

Originally posted by e.cat View Post
      Is anyone really surprised about this?
      https://asiatimes.com/2020/04/china-...3XrxG0_Gl2uOUU
      I believe in equality of effort. In life, in hockey in everything.

Comment

• Originally posted by Darius View Post
        People very close to me who live in NYC have said this for years. These are are bright, educated and frankly, privileged people who are fortunate to have daily access to expert information and a weekly briefing from a Harvard Epidemiologist. They were transitioning on the first weekend of March and in full stay at home mode by March 2. Apparently many in government either did not have access to this information, the cognitive ability to process it or the desire and motivation act on it.

The folks I know in NYC are the exception. Most do not have access to this type of information and many don't have the education to understand it. This is where government is supposed to come in, by providing clear direction. How is it that when Governors speak there is a sign language translator on stage, but not at the Federal level? Is there a Spanish version of coronavirus.gov? I should be able to find it instantly, but can't. Over and over again with our current Federal government, some of the state governments and a few local ones I find myself wondering if they are clueless, evil, selfish. Probably a combination of all three in varying degrees. Without Covid-19 this would have continued for a long time until eventually, years probably decades, in the future the number and degree of the disenfranchised becomes so great that there will be a political revolt and Bernie, AOC types will be elected to high offices. Covid-19 will likely accelerate this. Covid-19 does not care if you are rich, poor, white, non-white, male, female, young or old. Our cities are getting crushed and it is going to get worse and spread out of the cities. The US infection rate continues to rise, currently at 2.37%. The late to the game states like FL are going to get clobbered. I can currently book a BOS/LGA roundtrip flight and worse LGA to (random rural area) Jackson Hole. Un-be-f@#$ing-lievable.
        One of the most obnoxious statements I have ever read on USCHO. I LIVE in metro NY and to say it is the federal governments fault that the explosion in cases is silly. The mayor of NY was saying as little as a few weeks ago to patronize restaurants, bars, etc... Many people in NY are not obeying the stay at home directive. It has nothing to do whether they can hear or speak English. Quick question Darius, are your highbrow, sophisticated friends still in NYC or have they retreated to the Hamptons?
        Last edited by scoreboard; 04-02-2020, 07:23 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
          One of the most obnoxious statements I have ever read on USCHO. I LIVE in metro NY and to say it is the federal governments fault that the explosion in cases is silly. The mayor of NY was saying as little as a few weeks ago to patronize restaurants, bars, etc... Many people in NY are not obeying the stay at home directive. It has nothing to do whether they can hear or speak English. Quick question Darius, are your highbrow, sophisticated friends still in NYC or have they retreated to the Hamptons?
          And the mayor is out of touch almost as much as the person responsible. The Orange man child.
          $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
          Just win.....

Comment

• Originally posted by Wayuphere View Post
            And the mayor is out of touch almost as much as the person responsible. The Orange man child.
            Liberal dribble from the potato fields...
            Last edited by scoreboard; 04-02-2020, 07:32 PM.

Comment

• Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
              Liberal dribble from the potato fields...
              Another koolaid drinker I see.
              $90(more) for a drink holding ledge and a Maine blanket, but the views still great.
              Just win.....

Comment

Sigh.

Originally posted by scoreboard View Post
                One of the most obnoxious statements I have ever read on USCHO.
                You totally misinterpreted my post. Please note that it was in response to a post that included "New Yorkers hate him more than they hate Trump." where "him" is Mayor De Blasio in another post that included "...de Blasio should be run outta town on a rail!"

...to say it is the federal governments fault that the explosion in cases is silly.
                I didn't. I said that I find myself wondering if the Federal, some state and some local governments are clueless, evil, selfish. I'll say in 10 - 12 weeks.

The mayor of NY was saying as little as a few weeks ago to patronize restaurants, bars, etc...
                Correct.

Many people in NY are not obeying the stay at home directive.
                Also correct.

It has nothing to do whether they can hear or speak English.
                How do you know? What about non English speakers throughout the rest of the country right now?

Quick question Darius, are your highbrow, sophisticated friends still in NYC or have they retreated to the Hamptons?
                Not sophisticated friends, guess again. They are finishing up 4th week WFH in NYC .
                I will not be out cheered in my own building.

Comment

Jared Kuschner....in charge...really? Nobody else is qualified, capable? Loved his slam down today...don't call us, we'll call you. Said the slum lord. It's everyone for themselves folks, that's the long and short of it. Thank God we haven't been hit in NH (yet). From today:

JARED KUSHNER: "The notion of the federal stockpile was it's supposed to be our stockpile. It's not supposed to be states stockpiles that they then use." Their stockpile? For them? Who? For a rainy day? WTAF. (Ps..our tax dollars paid for that 'stockpile' and, things do have a shelf life. But its really disheartening to hear that certain states are getting their stuff they are requesting while others are getting a pittance....)

Last edited by HockeyRef; 04-02-2020, 08:21 PM.
                  I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Sigh.

You totally misinterpreted my post. Please note that it was in response to a post that included "New Yorkers hate him more than they hate Trump." where "him" is Mayor De Blasio in another post that included "...de Blasio should be run outta town on a rail!"

I didn't. I said that I find myself wondering if the Federal, some state and some local governments are clueless, evil, selfish. I'll say in 10 - 12 weeks.

Correct.

Also correct.

How do you know? What about non English speakers throughout the rest of the country right now?

Not sophisticated friends, guess again. They are finishing up 4th week WFH in NYC .
                    Fair enough Darius, I appreciate your response. Being in NY I guess I get a flustered easily.

Comment

2.42%. Slow and steady at about +.1/day.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post
                        Jared Kuschner....in charge...really? Nobody else is qualified, capable? Loved his slam down today...don't call us, we'll call you. Said the slum lord. It's everyone for themselves folks, that's the long and short of it. Thank God we haven't been hit in NH (yet). From today:

JARED KUSHNER: "The notion of the federal stockpile was it's supposed to be our stockpile. It's not supposed to be states stockpiles that they then use." Their stockpile? For them? Who? For a rainy day? WTAF. (Ps..our tax dollars paid for that 'stockpile' and, things do have a shelf life. But its really disheartening to hear that certain states are getting their stuff they are requesting while others are getting a pittance....)

LOL for the 2nd time reading this. The 1st was when he said it. Why didn't someone ask him who they are saving the Federal stock pile for? Ghah! He was on stage because Dad had to leave(?) and needed an inner circle member to cover for him. Kellyanne and Hope must have been busy.

Comment

Fair enough Darius, I appreciate your response. Being in NY I guess I get a flustered easily.
                          My main point is that smart people with access to expert data knew what to do. Governments' job is to look out for the less fortunate, TELL them what to do.

Be safe.
                          Last edited by Darius; 04-02-2020, 09:08 PM.

Comment

Originally posted by HockeyRef View Post

Where was the outrage last week when Gov. Cuomo used the same justification for not touching "his" stockpile (NYS), right? And further ignored his own bean-counters up in Albany, who recommended supplementing the State's stockpile (and were ignored)??

So … the Feds are left to cover for lack of planning at the State level (all 50) and then have to make allocations of their stockpiled resources across those 50 states (and a fair few territories).

Let's say Trump empties the entire stockpile of ventilators to NYC because of Gov. Cuomo's poor planning and constant kvetching. What happens then when the next underprepared state comes calling for back-up from the Federal stockpile? And then the next one?? Right now, any stockpile goes to those who NEED it NOW. Not who might need it next week or next month, or not at all. That's why the private sector has been activated to produce more ventilators to keep ahead of demand. Depletion of the Federal stockpile - a backstop to the states' own stockpiles by definition - has to be managed carefully with so many states asking for it. Imagine your state ran out, with no stockpile to draw upon, and the President just sent everything he had in the Fed stockpile to Louisiana. You want to talk about "disheartening", well, that would be it, for sure.

We live in the United States of America, not the People's Republic of America. States generally run themselves, and we have the Federal Government to basically oversee the operation, and provide shared services (like the military) to provide for ALL of the states. Cases rarely (if ever?) reach the US Supreme Court unless they've first been adjudicated in the state courts, or the Federal Courts in those states. It's why there is an Electoral College, and a whole raft of other things … too many just don't get it.

Still waiting for Mr. Eyechart and SteveO to resume their cage match discussion. Noticed both Michigan and Nevada have lifted restrictions on HCQ very recently. SteveO (citing a French trial) seems to have the edge over Eyechart (citing Chinese data) at the moment, but the jury is still out, and we're still working up to the definitive evidence and the closing arguments …

Barring unexpected developments, I'll be bringing in the greatest predictor of all time to tomorrow's discussion, and early returns show him bringing a mixed bag of predictions to the table …

((( … now, how's that for a teaser, eh?? )))
                            Sworn Enemy of the Perpetually Offended
                            Montreal Expos Forever ...

Comment

Dr. Birx explained a few days ago that the concept is to move equipment, supplies from state to state as needed. NY NEEDS it NOW.

A few days ago actually. Please share now.
                              Last edited by Darius; 04-02-2020, 09:19 PM.

Comment

Dr. Birx explained a few days ago that the concept is to move equipment, supplies from state to state as needed. NY NEEDS it NOW.

A few days ago actually. Please share now.
                                Oh and speaking of this "stockpile" I thought the cupboards were left bare...NYC has the most need right now...people are going to die like fish out of water. Such a chit show..
                                I'm just here for the hockey...

Comment

Working...
                                X